Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

NBP is boring and other thoughts....

All things Carmageddon TDR2000 related - hey, it's got multiplayer.
gPstr
driver

NBP is boring and other thoughts....

Post by gPstr »

An odd thing I've noticed about the NBP; it makes what threatened to be an ultimately dull game even duller. TDR took some getting used to after c2 because the damage works differently. As I've mentioned before, TDR is set up so that you do damage a little at a time and have to be careful because you take damage as you give it out. One of the things the NBP does is to change the damage and make it more c2-like. I'm not sure what the specific changes are, but with the NBP you do more damage more easily. However, I think it's too much of what might've been a good thing. I just beat Traffic Jam (the slum level where you fight the Gorvette and two Tow Meisters) with two offensive slots filled! That's not fun, that's just pointless. There's absolutely no challenge at all. Well, that's not quite right-- since you still take more damage than in c2, but now at the increased rate, you have to be extra careful. If you hit a curb, or a barricade, or an invisible seam or hole (and there are entirely too many of them in TDR)just the wrong way, you immediately explode and shoot up into the air in a little crumpled ball. But while that is sort of challenging, it's not much fun either.

And while I'm bitching; what the hell's up with the lack of Underwater ability powerups? I've played this damn game most or all the way through at least three times now and I've found exactly two Underwater abilities, and neither one of them was anywhere near the water. As a matter of fact, one of them was on Back of Beyond which has absolutely no water at all. Why would anybody design a game with so much water and so little time and a bonus for no recovery and then not have a few underwater abilities scattered around?

And I'm getting sort of tired of hitting things and seeing both of my front fenders simultaneously go "sproing!" and spread out and wave around like the antennae on a cockroach.

And I really wish that the parameters for the cars were more centralized. I'm starting to get a grip on tuning cars for TDR, but it's sure a pain in the ass to have to change some stuff in the descriptor.txt and some stuff in the .dcol's and some stuff in the .func's and then to have to pack it all back up again.

TDR sure is pretty though. Of course so are the NFS's and they all suck....
Dark Angel
angelus

Re: NBP is boring and other thoughts....

Post by Dark Angel »

What you said about tuning, you dont actualy need to repak the car, as long as the files are in the car folder it doesnt matter, if it finds the files in the actual fonder first then it completely ignores whats in the .pak, thats the way skins work too.

gPstr
driver

Post by gPstr »

Thanks man, that's great to know.

What I have been doing is to extract the contents of the .pak to a different folder and leave them in there to edit. Then when I'm done I add the stuff that's been changed back to the .pak and run the game. So I should be able to extract the files to the appropriate car folder and just leave them there and play with them at will? Cool...

Thanks for the tip
Beroc-Lord of Destruction
road raged psycho

Post by Beroc-Lord of Destruction »

There is a lack of underwater ability powerups in tdr.... I agree, but to explain the Back From Beyond thing... TDR has a few types of powerups, which can be a blessing or a curse.... They are random good powerups, and random bad powerups... chances are, if you pick up a random good powerup, it really wont help that much... they give you stupid things like underwater ability and junk like that..... course there are several classes of these powerups... random car powerups, random ped powerups and the like.... mostly... they are just annoying....

Check who’s online