Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carma 2 at work ;)

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Gar
pedestrian

Carma 2 at work ;)

Post by Gar »

Does anybody know of a way to get carmageddon 2 to run in windowed mode, or how to get it to alt-tab to another window.

Purely for curiosities sake, I'd never bludge at work *grin*
AlexTSK
mindless

Carma 2 at work ;)

Post by AlexTSK »

You could try an application called D3D Windower, I use it to run Carma 1 in windowed mode(actually it allows me to play Carma 1 on Windows 7, the windowed mode is kind of a bonus) Test it out and see, I know that it doesn't work with everything if you have a 64 bit system though.

You can find the download links here : http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/603613-d3dwindower/
Gar
pedestrian

Carma 2 at work ;)

Post by Gar »

Thanks dude, I'll give it a go
Gar
pedestrian

Carma 2 at work ;)

Post by Gar »

Thanks very much mate, I couldn't seem to get it to work with Carma 2, but I can see it being handy for a few other things
matt
im new, be gentle

Carma 2 at work ;)

Post by matt »

As long as you're not an air traffic controller :)
Xabax
pedestrian

Carma 2 at work ;)

Post by Xabax »

You could use vmWare workstation, just install it, create a virtual machine (with XP works fine, but I think 98 would even be better, less ram wasted), then install C2 in the virtual machine and you're good to go, carmageddon 2 windowed!

I use this trick to play any online\Lan game as a split screen game :)

Here's an example, split-carma projected on a 3.2m wide wall!

PS

You can hide the menu bar.
d0zs
pedestrian

Carma 2 at work ;)

Post by d0zs »

I have the solution!

After being determined to get this running in a resizable window, I used an API spy program to sniff out how carma2.exe launches Carma2_HW.exe (the magic parameter is "Carma2_HW.exe -d3d").

So here's how to get Carmageddon II: Apocalypse Now running in a resizable window:

1) Download and run DXWnd, go to Edit->Add

2) Point the path to your Carma2_HW.exe

3) Type " -d3d" after Carma2_HW.exe, make sure there's a space after .exe

For example: C:\Carmageddon 2\Carma2_HW.exe -d3d

4) Select "DirectX1~6" for the DirectX Version Hook option

5) Click Ok, Edit->Run

That's it :)

Here's what the settings should look like:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma 2 at work ;)

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Wowowow! Didn't know DxWnd was still being updated!

Definitely have to check that out!
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Carma 2 at work ;)

Post by Harmalarm »

Nice find! This is very handy indeed!
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Carma 2 at work ;)

Post by Breakin'Benny »

Wow, would that DxWnd thingy work with TDR 2000 as well? Because I can't get it to play a second time after it's asked for my graphics card, it just slows the whole computer down (is my graphics card too new or do DirectX 11 graphics cards not support backwards compatiability to DirectX 7?)

If CARMA 2 comes to GOG, I hope they "somehow" remove the graphics card detection. Because unless I use CARMA2_HW -d3d or am without CarmaUDPLoader to bypass the launcher, I can't play because it, again, makes the whole system slow down to a snail. If you want me to, I can write a list of old games I had, but today, didn't want to play on my new graphics card

Also, if one has Carmageddon II retail, do we have to download it from GOG again? I don't want to have to blow more money on something I already have in order to get an updated version
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma 2 at work ;)

Post by Toshiba-3 »

@Breakin'Benny: what are the specs of your systems? Do you have an integrated graphic card (intel stuff etc.)?

Here I have to specifically tell the programs to run on my nVidia gfx card or else they'll try to run with the slower integrated one. This makes a big difference with C2 running with Glide for example.

Like that:

As for Carmageddon 2: few people still use the D3D mode and no one uses the launcher anyway (useless, generates audio issues etc.). We all use clean and updated installs with either nGlide or dgVoodoo as glide wrappers.

You can try the Vanilla C2 Mini-Pack with nGlide for example.

I don't know whether GOG would take the responsibility of bringing C2 in their catalogue or not, but considering how difficult it was with C1 and that C2 can be bitchier than C1, well, I wouldn't recommend them to go ahead with that!

About TDR: have you tried the MAX-Pack, if not give it a try. Must be installed on a clean TDR install. And you can also try it with DxWnd and report your results :)
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Carma 2 at work ;)

Post by Breakin'Benny »

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (6.1, build 7601

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 2.53GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

DirectX version: DirectX 11

I don't know about the "integrated graphics card", though.

I played the MAX-Pack with High-res once, I did it again and it didn't want to start so uninstalled it. I'll try with DxWnd later, first, before DxWnd, I'll try with the DirectX problem
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Carma 2 at work ;)

Post by Breakin'Benny »

OK, TDR 2000 doesn't need DxWnd at all! Just like in the video, open up the TDR2000.gfx file with Notepad, replace ALL "non-9,dl" lines with "9,dl" (Forces DirectX 9 mode?) and any lines NOT saying "2,2,0" with "2,2,0" and there we go. I can finally play TDR 2000 on my new graphics card without any need of changing stuff
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Carma 2 at work ;)

Post by Breakin'Benny »

However, if you use DxWnd with anything but DirectX 9 or Automatic (even if you "fixed" the DirectX error) it won't start either
DeadNinja
pedestrian

Carma 2 at work ;)

Post by DeadNinja »

I was having the exact same dilemma as the OP with Carma2. I downloaded dxwnd, but it must have updated since this post because the settings screen looked different. I was able to set the parameters recommended, but didn't touch anything that was on by default. The result is that the game opens, sound works, and I can interact with it except that visually, it's just a black screen. I am trying to make this work on win7 x64. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank You.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Carma 2 at work ;)

Post by CzechDeath »

Anyone knows how to run carmageddon1 in window? =D

Oh and CR is possible at work, before xmass I set my aspect ratio to auto, full screen off and 640x480 and bam... placed it over open browser peaking from under my photoshop and it looked like YT vid =D genious!

Also Devs if you reading this 640x480 Great FPS on that resolution, so fuck HD lets make it oldschool =D
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Carma 2 at work ;)

Post by Breakin'Benny »

CzechDeath wrote:Anyone knows how to run carmageddon1 in window? =D

Oh and CR is possible at work, before xmass I set my aspect ratio to auto, full screen off and 640x480 and bam... placed it over open browser peaking from under my photoshop and it looked like YT vid =D genious!

Also Devs if you reading this 640x480 Great FPS on that resolution, so fuck HD lets make it oldschool =D

I almost always wish there was a cnc-ddraw mod for Carmageddon 2, considering that Carma 1 got it though there's still flickering in some places...just a few, of course.
Psyrgery
speed freak

Carma 2 at work ;)

Post by Psyrgery »

CzechDeath wrote:
Why make it 640x480 when you can make it...

320x240?!
Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil
Zero X. Diamond
pedestrian

Carma 2 at work ;)

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Running Carmageddon 1 in a window is easy if you've got the GOG.com version. Just download the "Experimental Windows 95 patch" off of the GOG forums. Once it's installed, there should be a ddraw.ini file in your directory. Open that up and look for a line that should say "windowed=false" and change false to true. Bam!

I know this because... uh... things have been rather slow at my work as well.
c4rm4g3dd0n
pedestrian

Carma 2 at work ;)

Post by c4rm4g3dd0n »

CzechDeath wrote:Anyone knows how to run carmageddon1 in window? =D

DxWnd for 3dfx version and Alt+Enter for software.

Check who’s online