Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Missing Carmageddon

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
rinn73
pedestrian

Missing Carmageddon

Post by rinn73 »

Hi!

Used to play Carmageddon on my PC years ago. Still have the original CD and tried a couple of years ago to get it to run on my Windows 7 laptop, but the process was too complicated for me, involving mounting folders or something. Had a look and saw talk of running the original Carmageddon on a Win 7 64 bit PC in this forum, but again it looks too technical for me.

I was wondering if there is a current version of Carmageddon to buy that would run on my laptop? I saw a minimum spec for 'max damage' but I'm not even sure if that runs on a PC (is 'Steam' some sort of emulator or something?!). My laptop is similar to the min spec that I saw, but I'm not sure if it would just fail or run slow or what.

it's a Windows 7 64 big with 4Gb RAM. The processor is an Intel core i5-2410M @ 2.3 Ghz with a Nvidia Geforce GT540M 2Gb graphics card. What would likely happen if I tried to run it on that?

I saw mention of Carmageddon Reincarnation also, but not sure what that is, as when I clicked the link I saw relating to it, to buy it on the Steam site, the link seemed broken as if that doesn't exist any more on the Steam site.

Sorry I'm not down with all the lingo, I don't really play games since Carmageddon in the 90s.

Help! :-)
arjan_jonker
driver

Missing Carmageddon

Post by arjan_jonker »

Hey rinn! :-)

Don't worry, I'll try to explain how you can play the original Carmageddon. It's actually quite easy.

First of all, Steam is a games-platform. And you can buy the original Carmageddon there. Then you won't have to worry about technical issues. You can also buy the game from GOG.com. Here: https://www.gog.com/game/carmageddon_max_pack

As for Carmageddon Reincarnation: that's the all new Carma that was released last year. But forget that one. Buy Carmageddon Max Damage. That's the ultimate version of Reincarnation. You can buy C:MD on Steam as well.

I hope this cleares things up for ya! :-)

Greetz, Arjan
Trent
mindless

Missing Carmageddon

Post by Trent »

Max Damage is the updated version of Reincarnation, so Reincarnation was removed from the Steam store after Max Damage was released. You may be able to run Max Damage on your laptop, though don't expect high or solid framerates and you will need to turn all the settings right down. You could buy it, test it and if it your laptop can't handle it you could request a refund from Steam.

Carmageddon 1, 2 and TDR2000 are all available on Steam which are pre-setup to run on modern computers, though your mileage may vary as some people have had issues with them due to them being pretty much the original unaltered versions of the games with the various wrappers and such described in the guides. There unfortunately aren't any versions of the original games properly updated with native support for modern hardware.
a.k.a. Brent
rinn73
pedestrian

Missing Carmageddon

Post by rinn73 »

Thank you both for your replies. So, the recent Max Damage version may work on my laptop but it might struggle. Thanks for confirming what Reincarnation is/was.

Concerning running the original, would the minimum spec be less than for Max Damage, with it being an old game, so that might run smoother if I can get it to work?
Trent
mindless

Missing Carmageddon

Post by Trent »

The original games should not have any performance issues on your machine, they will run at the speed they were designed to run at.
a.k.a. Brent
legomeaker101
hit n run

Missing Carmageddon

Post by legomeaker101 »

I would recommend getting the the original on gog.com because it's drm free and gives you more options over the steam one
rinn73
pedestrian

Missing Carmageddon

Post by rinn73 »

Thanks for your reply. I googled DRM-free to see what that means, but I've no idea how that would apply itself to Carmageddon as I have no experience of Steam or GOG. I guess as long as it works and I can drive about running cows over and stuff I'd be fine. :-) By more options, could you give me an example? Is one just as easy as the other to setup?
legomeaker101
hit n run

Missing Carmageddon

Post by legomeaker101 »

The gog version has a windows 95 patch that has a better resolution and (in my opinion) its easier to mod
KakkaHousu
speed freak

Missing Carmageddon

Post by KakkaHousu »

Steam overlay causes graphical glitches for Carmageddon 1. Gog version works great.

I think Steam version is DRM free version too, no need to run client if you want play game.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Missing Carmageddon

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Yeah Steam C1 and C2 are DRM free as they actually are the first GOG release of these games BUT they weren't updated at all afterward.

So please, do yourself a favor and buy them at GOG directly (they keep on updating the games for compatibility)!
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
rinn73
pedestrian

Missing Carmageddon

Post by rinn73 »

Many thanks for all the help. Will try out the Gog version hopefully tonight. I don't have any sort of controller for my PC, only the keyboard. If I was going to try to get a steering wheel to use with Carmageddon Max Pack (Gog version) on my Windows 7 64 bit machine, is there a particular spec I should look for or avoid? It's a bit bewildering the amount of different platforms out there these days.
QTZ
hit n run

Missing Carmageddon

Post by QTZ »

GOG and Steam versions are almost the same, when you will install 95RPP and delete unnecessary files the differences became even smaller.

GOG has updated their DOSBox configurator, when Steam include an older version, which not working by default, but can be enabled with 95RPP.

This is the biggest difference, other thing is that Steam allow to use Steam overlay, when GOG doesn't offer such feature.

If you don't like Steam overlay you may just start the game directly from outside the Steam and it will launch same way as GOG version.

So basically if you want updated GOG DOSBox tool select GOG version, when you like Steam client select Steam version, but in both cases install 95RPP ;).

Edit: 95RPP work with GOG or Steam version (can't be installed to both at same time) and replace GOG 95 patch.

Check who’s online