Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

ReShade in Carmageddon 2

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

ReShade in Carmageddon 2

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Just a quick test of ReShade:
[youtube]eva5LL4Oo9I[/youtube]
^ Play that in full screen of enlarged player over at Youtube.
If for some reason the player doesn't show, the video's here.

Too bad the ambient occlusion generate these artifacts on both sides of the car. The filters work quite well beside that, though I'm not sure it is really pertinent to have some of these effects in a game like C2!

Here I used ambient lighting, FXAA, adaptive sharpness, vignette, MXAO (ambient occlusion), light DOF, HDR, clarity, reflective bump mapping and a bit of motion blur.

If it's possible to get rid of the artifacts, that AO could be really nice as a subtle effect to give a bit more volume to the geometry (and not used as intensely as I did).
Clarity, ambient lighting, vignette and HDR are rather good in my book.
Adaptive sharpness works quite well with C2 blurry textures but it also tends to enhance texture seams!
FXAA can be achieved by a more performant mean I suppose, but it works.
Light DOF could even be lighter. Too bad it affects the HUD as well.
Motion blur can be disregarded, the point at which the effect becomes ok is insignificant.
Reflective bump mapping, when subtle, adds a nice effect onscreen but tends to make everything look wet/reflective heh.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Re: ReShade in Carmageddon 2

Post by Harmalarm »

Never heard of ReShade. This is by far the best post processing effect I have seen on Carmageddon. It does a much better job than the ENB tools.

But I still can't say I'm a big fan of the effects in general. The ambient occlusion, besides the obvious nasty effects in the bottom of the screen, is too much in my opinion. Also, the game just looks less sharp. And it seems to take quite a lot of performance on your pc tosh... But perhaps that's just a matter of fiddling with the settings.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: ReShade in Carmageddon 2

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Yes, the performance took a big hit. I'm not running it on a strong iron though, and there were too many filters at work there I guess.

I'm pretty sure it's possible to come up with something really decent that wouldn't look out of place yet add a little something. Not sure I have the time for that though!

I found it easier to handle than ENB, also ReShade installs itself automagically to your desired game. The ingame configurator is well made too.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction

Check who’s online