Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Whoa! Board go "POOFO-CHANGE-O!!"

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Whoa! Board go "POOFO-CHANGE-O!!"

Post by Deep_Blue »

Well, THAT din't take long..
:shock:
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Pip the pest
turbo bastard

Re: Whoa! Board go "POOFO-CHANGE-O!!"

Post by Pip the pest »

Yes, I thought i was seeing things at first, too much Bacardi and so. But yes a nice midlife facelift :wink:

PIP
timmy76
motorised death

Post by timmy76 »

Its nice to see a fresh look :smile:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Looks great, don't it?
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

It's difficult to get used to but it's a nice change.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

yes I love the new looks. Still having slight misalignment issues here and there. for example right now...
Schermafbeelding (17).png
Schermafbeelding (17).png (220.64 KiB) Viewed 9873 times
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

Yes sir, I like it!. :thumbsup:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Harmalarm wrote:yes I love the new looks. Still having slight misalignment issues here and there. for example right now...]
Err, that's a wacky one!
It looks good on everything else, Chrome, Safari(iPhone), even IE.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Glad you guys like it :ssmile:
There'll still be a handful of little changes here and there as explained here.

@D_B: It didn't take too long for a new style, just 11 or 12 years :grin:

And thanks Harm, exact same problem as the last time, forgot a <br /> up there :)
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
cArmAkAze
Jesus, Hatebreed

Post by cArmAkAze »

Oh wow, board looks great man!
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Yeah, good job tosh! :thumbsup:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Another update :)
Board's width is now 960px. It's safer for lower resolutions.
Added the "Since 1998" up there.
Added a 404 page.
Added the CWA links down there (rotator) and the FB thing.
Changed the viewforum/viewtopic page title:
Before: CWABoard.com (and .co.uk too!) • View topic - TDR 2000 Direct X ...
After: CWA Board • TDR 2000 Direct X Error 0x80070057

Tweaked older IE support a bit more.
Once again, don't hesitate to report bugs and share your thoughts.

[edit] oh and I forgot the most important: check check check who's online ♫
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

YAAAAH! Iz da KING, BayyyyyyBEH!!!!

coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Yeah looks great Tosh. Looks awesome on my iPad
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Just noticed the Checking Who's Online thing is turning 10 this year.

Some quick stuff for logos. I'm totally uninspired :sdead:
So don't hesitate to show your ideas.

coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I hope you don't mind, I took pieces of your designs and tried rearranging them. I really like the Magnachem font look. I made the diagonal stripes yellow to be more like the C2 barriers.
cwamagnachem03.png
cwamagnachem03.png (17.24 KiB) Viewed 9760 times
n3wton
Wasted!

Post by n3wton »

I like Coffey ;) get it up there Tosh! :D
Pip the pest
turbo bastard

Post by Pip the pest »

Have to agree with N3wton and go with a mix of Tosh and Coffey. like it alot. :smile:
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Yeah the font is awesome! I'm not a real big fan of the yellow and black maybe. The original colors of the board are still good enough i.m.o. so might as well use that.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

In my eyes this is very heavy. I already thought that the magnachem-like CWA I did was unbalanced (too thick as a whole, 'a' being even fatter) and cliché (reminds me of the 2000-2003 logos we could see on the net back net), but also had nothing in common with the new cwa style which is very light and rather modern.
Here you added two rows of yellow stripes (and as Harm said yellow isn't part of the board colors), incased the logotype into a darker rectangle with a border, added a shadow to make it stand out of the rectangle, plus the complete title under it. A bit too much :smile:

With the first mockup up there, I was closer to what I personaly felt would fit the new design: a thin white typo to make it stand out on its own, accompanied by two blue-grey lines reminding all the other lines in the new style. As the whole board visual appearance is static, I slanted the logotype. It makes the logo stands out even more without additional visual, plus it's more dynamic this way. That kind of slanted logo is also reminiscent of some retro 50s brands, and a retro touch isn't bad for an old board about an old game :) Finally the Carmageddon touch is the bloody wheel trace behind the logo. It doesn't hurt the readability of the logotype, and helps it not to float in the header.
I would have liked a more 'pointy' typo, closer to the 'beta' Carmageddon logo, but I doubt it would have worked too well with the lines. Stuff like Piezolelectric font is a no-no. I didn't setup the spaces properly either, nor did I optimize the whole thing for the tight header.

Another idea I had come with:
A 3D 'assembly' type of logo. This allowed me to use elements from the design (lines and colors) and make the logo focus on the 3D/modification works of the board. Once again this is a bit too heavy (esp. CWA).

Now if you guys really want the MagnaChem logo, I'll put it up there, but I think it will be a backward move in comparison to the rest of the design refreshing.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Whatever, I thought you said you were uninspired and wanted to see other ideas.
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

I think I like this one better than the big one (the magnachem-like CWA):

Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

coffeycup wrote:Whatever, I thought you said you were uninspired and wanted to see other ideas.
Well yes I did say that. It doesn't mean we should jump on the first idea either. The current logo is neutral enough to stay up there while we come up with something fitting.

[edit] Also, no need to whatever me. I took time pointing how elements can be contextually wrong and illustrating how the new design elements can be used to end up with a logo summarizing what the board is about.
cArmAkAze
Jesus, Hatebreed

Post by cArmAkAze »

I like the logo we currently have, to be completely honest.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Relax Tosh, I'm not upset. It was a dumb idea to mess with someone else's work.
Alex_Dynamite
road raged psycho

Post by Alex_Dynamite »

Ok, I'm just going to jump on in...
Personally, I like the "tread mark" version, so i decided to try something along that line.
I was going for a simple, clean look, while trying to make it fit in with the rest of the board's new design.
A different font might be better, though-didn't have many to choose from at the time.

Also, I somewhat agree with Carmakaze, but feel it could use something other than the "brushed steel" look from the old design.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Hmm.. I seem to remember much mulling and brouhaha when it came time to change to that brushed steel thingy we gots now.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

@cArmAkAze: I can understand that, however it's been there for 11 years now. So while we are redesigning the whole board, let's do it completely and get a logo that will last another 5 or 10 years.

@coffeycup: I indeed didn't expect you to use that first logo. I was rather looking forward for you to do your magic on paper, much like your artworks.

@alex: Nice idea! With a more dynamic font you could achieve a typical car movie logo if you see what I mean :) Or maybe the font is ok but the setup could be wilder, ala Crashday logo.

@d_b: I don't think I've ever seen the previous logo :( And who did this one anyway? Beast probably? Did a good job as it lasted for a while!

OK gents, more ideas!

First, I decided to do a revamp of Coffeycup's move. I had to work out that magnachem typo first though, make it lighter. While I was at it I tried a 'c' and a 'w'. Used the stripes as a background support, replaced the darker rectangle by the autoscum logo (no border though), and tried to keep the yellow color to enhance the white typo as a impact point.

Also illustrating the 'recent works' idea that we could update now and then with new visuals being posted. Front page would look a bit more attractive. Did that quickly so it's rough.

Image Image

Here's a 60s-inspired setup. Looks classy and all. 'AND NOW' could be larger (but not bolder) but I have no such fonts installed atm and too lazy to dig in my font library. Dunno why Illustrator outputs such an aliased png.

Image Image

And finally, a couple of stuff with the autoscum logo. Plus the logo itself for those who might be interested :)

Image Image Image
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Great work on that Piranha Autoscum logo, Tosh.

I am personally leaning towards either the Magnachem style logo or the Autoscum logo, although I do like each one of them.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

I like the first logo best, perhaps even the left one where you made the 'C' and 'W' characters in the magnachem. It has a bit of a Chinese character look, which is really appealing I think. If that really fits carmageddon is a different discussion off course, so its more a personal taste.

The compactness of the elements in the first logo I like better, than the isolated logo and texts of the third and somewhat the second proposal.

The yellow color however tends to put it toward the colors of the german flag. Not that I have anything against Germany, on the contrary, but the colors area a bit tricky I think. Would the aluminium/grey color work there instead of the yellow?

Second logo does have the most 'retro' look, as you might expect in a board dedicated to 15 year old games.

Oh and in general, I think the current logo can use a bit of change. I has server us well, but as the boards look is evolving so can the logo.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I still lean towards the MagnaChem font but I think horizontal would be better than getting too tall/vertical? (Just thinking of fitting it at top of page)

The AutoScum red fish in a circle is kinda cool too. It would be cool if his teeth spelled out CWA? If I squint my eyes I can almost see it? Probably too heavy-handed/ hokey/goofy?
Alex_Dynamite
road raged psycho

Post by Alex_Dynamite »

Heh, I didn't think of that! (Now I can't unsee!)

I'm digging the stripes/fish/CWA/recent works one. Though, I do find the MagnaChem font to be to much(too busy? Not sure of the correct wording) and then there is the fact that the "recent works" part would need to be kept up to date - an additional job for someone.

The 60's inspired is my second favorite.

However, the talk about the current and old logo makes me wonder if it can be "modernized"? Would be nice for CWA to have it's own logo, rather than reusing a logo meant for something else? Maybe the background image could be mirrored and used as a stylized C? Dunno, just some thoughts.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Thanks for the feedback/ideas on the subject, guys.
I really don't have much free time this week, so only could work a bit on the CWA typo now:

Personaly I'm really puzzled, feel like Alex about it being too busy. Maybe keeping the CW normal would be better for readability?

More stuff soon.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

I like the top right CWA, although the C might need fiddling with as it looks a lot like a G.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Here's some more...
Alex, I tried to fiddle with the previous logo but can't come up with anything. Maybe too tired. The background image used mirrored as a C is very heavy, difficult to use :/ Also, about the recent works part, it will be manageable via the admin/mod panel, so should be easy to update.
Razor, I updated the previous pic and changed the C of the one you indicated (also added another one).
Harm, I think that the asiatic type of font kinda fits C1. There are several textures with chinese ideograms. In CITYA and COASTB I think. Probably elsewhere. Also the influence in the MANGA track from Carma PSX but that's non-canon. Also look at RAMEN here, the font is a bit similar I think.
Coffeycup, I tried your CWA teeth idea, don't hesitate to draw something better for me to vectorize if you want.

I kept on working on the magnachem logo one, made it horizontal and changed color too. Gave more space in the header for the recent works thing. Keep in mind the look of the thumbnails there is just temporary. I'll work on that once we get close to a final logo.

Image Image

And here's the CWA Piranha one. Sorry spent even less time on the thumbnails here but you get the idea, should be teeth or something pointy heh. Too bad I can't really maximize the size of the CWA in there. Also I'm unhappy with the color. I worked the logo in yellow but couldn't really keep it for the header.

Image Image

I really wouldn't mind some more opinions on the magnachem-typed letters there.
I think I'll use the 60s logo as a promo illustration here and there maybe.

Check who’s online