Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Continuing the legacy of Carmageddon

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
Citywalker
pedestrian

Post by Citywalker »

I’ve been thinking™. I know that c2 was edited to remove the missions from the game, so that it would play the classic way of c1. Would it be possible to edit c3 to be more like c1? This would yield a long-lost heir to the c dynasty, I think. But you, guys, are more experienced in c3 than I am. What are the main game-play and physics differences between c3 and c1/2, and how easy would it be to port cars and tracks from c1/2 to c3 and vice versa? And is it worth it, now that Harmalarm has basically made GrandCarma for the same purpose? And what’s even more interesting in this context: can the AI drivers in GTA be made aggressive towards all life? Or at least against the player? If there’s a setting somewhere (like the negative wheel friction in the GTA Carmageddon youtube videos), then GrandCarma would basically become the next Carmageddon!

-----
CW
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

hmm interesting idea but to be honest i think many people think c3 is not so good as c2. so as for me i don't like c3 as a c1/c2 sequel but as separated game it's quite exciting.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Really TDR isn't a good C1/C2 successor. I think Hazardic is right when he says it seems better as a separated game.

But yes I get your idea and I agree it could have been great to try to do something right with TDR. The graphic engine is way better (no more texture limitation!), peds aren't bones anymore, tracks can have a lot more features, etc etc. The only real bad point is the damage engine which is based on C2 but doesn't work as well and crashes the game more often.

Still we could have done something great with this game... if we had any way to... All we can do is make new cars, and it's more complicated/buggier than making cars for C2!
It is possible to hack existing tracks a lot, but we can't create new tracks. Like ten years ago someone said he could, but it was all lies.

So that's it :( Even if we wanted to, we couldn't make anything else than cars.

No idea about GTA, but I think the damage engine still isn't a good C2 competitor.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Doritos
driver

Post by Doritos »

No the Gta damage engine isn't near as good as c1, least not in the 3 series(gta3, vc, sa,) in gta 4 might be a possible suitable replacement but as i have not played it extensively nor modded any thing for it i cant really say.
Citywalker
pedestrian

Post by Citywalker »

So the only thing left is to tweak the original source code for Carma. Certain people are doing it with Re-Volt (as that game and its code is basically abandoned by its creators, besides they're using a self-ported XBox version), and the resuts are good. But I don't know if the source for any of the Carmas is available and I understand that it would be more work to get e.g. Carma1's graphics up to date.

-----
CW

Check who’s online