Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Old Prostar laptop

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
Doritos
driver

Old Prostar laptop

Post by Doritos »

Well I've acquired an old Prostar model 86 multimedia notebook laptop... but I have one issue: it needs RAM. Badly as it had none when I got it.
Problem is I don't exactly know what type or how big the RAM should be for this laptop.
It was given to the family by a person who got a better laptop but had this one sitting around for a while... I just want to see if it'll run Carmageddon or not but I need RAM and my Google-fu has yet to give me results...

It's a Prostar multimedia notebook computer (laptop)
Model 86
FCC ID FMA86D
No serial
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Old Prostar laptop

Post by Toshiba-3 »

How much base RAM has it?
It should have like 8MB RAM soldered, and 2 more RAM stick slots.
I think it can have 2x16MB, for a total of 40MB RAM.

Supposedly compatible product?! :
http://www.memoryx.net/commaxxfe16.html

Take your time looking for the correct part, don't waste your money.
I guess C1 should run on it, but a 16MB RAM update is needed. You can always test the demo btw. If I were you I'd install Win95 on that laptop.

Well all this are just suppositions from what I found on the net; what are the system specs?
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Doritos
driver

Old Prostar laptop

Post by Doritos »

Not sure of the specs, haven't booted it up or even opend it up as of yet to check anything I just noticed it didn't have RAM in the slots... and it has no paperwork either so that option is void... Thanks for the help so far Tosh.

Edit: Tried to boot it up; nothing comes on. On its "status bar" it flashes a faucet and the other usual icons for maybe a second then shuts back down.
It does have a 1 gb hard drive... that might be to new...

Edit2: Removed the old battery and it booted up to WIN 95!

And yeah it has 8mb onboard memory so sure I need more but that's okay I can mess with it till I can get more and it also needs a mouse; its mouse apparently don't work so keyboard commands till then.

Edit3: Cd-rom drive isn't recognized in Windows or in the c-mos even though the drive powers up and tries to read so I'm thinking the drivers simply weren't installed.

Edit4: After failing to find the drivers for the cd-rom I've given up on it... I think it's bad anyway but I won't be able to find another cd-rom for this 5+ years old computer (honestly think it's from 96 so 14+ years) so it's time to see if modifying a newish one will work *crosses toes and goes to cannibalizing another non working laptop*
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Old Prostar laptop

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Mmmh. What is the onboard graphic chipset btw? Has it any USB connection?
If the BIOS doesn't recognize the cdrom drive, it's either because of a cable issue (connection, hierarchy) or because it's dead. I'm positive you could find a new cdrom drive on the net though but I'm not sure the use you'll make out of this laptop is worth putting money and time for such a fix.

Personaly I find it fun to max out these old machines and use them with their contemporary softwares. Here I have the very first Apple iBook (the clamshell 1998-2001), modifying it for years now bit per bit. It's a hobby but I also use this laptop to work.

What you'd need so far: battery, RAM and CD-R drive. With shipping costs I guess it can top at 100$ maximum. With this amount of money you can buy a more recent one (but second hand uh). But you won't have the satisfaction to get an old beast running again correctly.
Doritos
driver

Old Prostar laptop

Post by Doritos »

Got Windows 95 to find the drivers for the cd-rom, went to install Carma and bam: broken disk... So now I'm slightly angry 'cause I had one success then a large failure... it was reading too... :(

Oh mouse went out again I think I might have accidently deleted the driver for it when I was poking about but meh it's one of them finger track mice that I don't care for sooo cd-rom works in Windows... no mouse... no more Carma 1 I seriously need a job.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Old Prostar laptop

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Not sure where you're at with this laptop (maybe you trashed it already heh) but even if your C1 disk is unreadable you can always test the C1 demos! They are still available on the net — I think Crashoc hosts them.
Doritos
driver

Old Prostar laptop

Post by Doritos »

Nope old lappy is still running, just using it for typing at present as I can't get any disk to read in the cdrom... I think it's toast and I do believe the demos are a wee bit larger than 1.44mb lol.

Check who’s online