Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

This is genius, why did it not catch on?

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

This is genius, why did it not catch on?

Post by Mad_Maxine »

ive hit things at home with trailers 4 times now, and revercing out of spaces is an ass, so heres an idea

Watch this video to see it actully works,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XL0Tys ... re=related

Why dident that stick? would be awsome.

As you see with the conventinal trailer at the top weight is put at the very back of the veichle,

And below that the fith wheel i guess is better being over the acel but still manuverability,

Here like they said in the video weight distrubuted evenly, and alowing 360 turns, and no jacknifing (wich happend to me on loose roads) it would also alow for normal storage in the back bed, making transporting tools and equipment with you easyer,

So why not?
SoupaVedg
motorised death

Re: This is genius, why did it not catch on?

Post by SoupaVedg »

Hmm, my guess is that if your roof was kinda damaged/rusted and had some weak point, the weight of the trailer and what's on it would rip the roof off of the car, kinda letting the trailer go on its own and surprising the driver who might get a good scare and lose control. While when the trailer is hooked in the bed or on that thing under the bumper, it's kinda hooked to the frame of the truck.
SoupaVedg! The only super hero who have Soup in his name!
timmy76
motorised death

Post by timmy76 »

could even cause the roof to cave in.

might work if the car had a frame over and under the car maybe?
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Well i figured it would be attached in the bed like some kind of roll bar, to the chassis but i dont know, heres one way to do it. have purpus built veichles

Hers anotehr idea spawned from this, a semi truck thats cab is abel to turn a full 360 under the trailer, making easy manuverability, and since it would be purpusly built it would be all well supported, and being a braked trailer would also reduce risks, and because i know change is not instant below it is a link to attatch regular truck trailers, meaning old trailers wouldent have to be scraped but you would still have that same turning (i think) I dont know how two trailers linked like that would react.. but thats what testing is for... i might even try built one of these in rc.. allways try things, you never know, sometimes dumb ideas work.

C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

Looks interesting in the video.

Also, in the case of a camping trailer: it does cut the extra length, but it cuts interior space too. You could probably put a wide bed in the slanted/confined part (just watch your head while in there, heh), but that's about it.
SoupaVedg
motorised death

Post by SoupaVedg »

Well, Maxine, if the truck you drew is reinforced, they would do the job, I think. You should submit those idea to the truck makers. I mean, the 360° under the trailer is a great idea.Though, that would mean that you'd have to design some kind of 2 way brakes system. One that is used in normal use (AKA driving around) and a second one that you'd have to deploy when the truck has to do a 360°, cuz then, the trailer HAVE to stay at the same place.
SoupaVedg! The only super hero who have Soup in his name!
TheJabMan
.:protagonist:.

Post by TheJabMan »

Probably never caught on because it's only useful for very light vehicles, like compacts. things like jackknifing would not occur, instead it would just send your car sliding in whatever direction it wanted. Not to mention vehicles with a high center of gravity would be scary as hell with a bunch of weight on the roof. Also it's probably easier/cheaper to rig up electrical/air brake connections though a point with limited rotation, like a conventional trailer.

I'm in the process of getting my AZ (tractor trailer in canada, done by aug 5th if all goes well), and I kind of like the car idea, but I can't see it taking off with large trucks. For trucking the only advantage is the 360 degrees, the aerodynamics don't really factor into it as long as the tractor (cab) has a wind deflector. There are also other things to take into account like how areas designed for trucks are built, they're big enough that the current system works fine, also the load capacity is not any greater with that style of trailer unless the truck is much smaller than usual and even then we already have trucks with cargo cabs+53 foot trailer. Also companies would have to spend more on either adapters or new trucks. With the over style trailer, it can only drop off loads to other over style trucks. And if it's and over style tractor running around with the adapter than the original ease of maneuverability benefit is lost it'd be like backing up a road train where the middle trailer is 6 feet long. Not to mention visibility, backing up a trailer is easier than it looks and the technique used allows for pretty good visibility The visibility would be about the same for the over style except you're going forward instead of back so it kind of limits the gains again.

Though back to yer point as to why it never caught on to smaller vehicles, I have no idea other than the coupling... maybe VW are going to bring it back or something seeing as were swimming in the tin jellybeans. I can't get over how cool it looks when they park it by driving forward with the VW.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Well there goes that..
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

But it's still a cool idea to test this in games lol, like say Rig Of Rods or so..

Check who’s online