Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Challenges?

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
Beroc-Lord of Destruction
road raged psycho

Challenges?

Post by Beroc-Lord of Destruction »

Hopefully there is a few people left on this site.

In an effort to gear up, and the lack of actual posts on the site.. And sheer boredom. I wanted to get an idea of how many people would be interested in doing challenges or contests concerning modeling, skinning or setup work.

I just kinda want people on the site to have an interest in getting better, or showing off, or whatever.

The cool thing is, that nothing HAS to be finished. Only if you want to. Perhaps a contest just to see who can come up with the wildest front end for an existing (real or fictional) car. Or coolest addon Post Apoc addon piece for a car.

It would be open for any modeler, any software. Just the game (if that is part of the challenge) would of course need to be a Carmageddon title, or Crashday, as those are the games on this forum.

Hell, we could even do track pieces for C2 or for Crashday. Stuff like that.

Again, just for boredom, or just to get your juices flowing, or something like that.

Oh, and a Challenge, has no winner, it is to challenge yourself, not to challenge others.

heh, and non argument posts would be nice too. LOL (like that is going to happen)

So is anyone game?
AcdTrip
hit n run

Re: Challenges?

Post by AcdTrip »

I've seen a couple of sites with this kind of concept and it is a great idea :smile: if I could do anything I would take part in this thing.. maby someday :cool:
Your Father Wanted To Use Computers To Free The Body From The Brain!!
- We like to use automobiles -
Carboy717
road raged psycho

Post by Carboy717 »

mmhmm. could be fun.. specically these midding competitions, weve had them before.. usuallyturn out to be fun :smile:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

heh, sure, sounds like fun. I'd rather that they do have to be finished or at least limping along in the game. no?
road raged psycho

I am sure that in game stuff would be great, but it would limit who can actually participate. Hence, if we get a newbie, who doesnt know how to model well, or can't get something in the game, or just wants to learn what is going on. yeah.

I would just say that it should not be required to make a complete model for a game. It is meant to be fun, not frustrating.

One of the things that I always am interested in, is the difference in the way that people UVmap stuff. You C2 people who use CarEd won't do any of that, but Max Users generally will.

I dunno, still just ideas accross the board, seeing how many poeple would be interested in it, that sorta stuff.

Thus far, it is lookin pretty good.
@ob
road raged psycho

Post by @ob »

Other then not being on often, id like to see how this turns out, and if im intrested in an event, ill participate.
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Post by random_monkey »

I'm in.
random_monkey
ApeX__
Banned

Post by ApeX__ »

I'm game.
Haha Fuck you Kitteh
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ok, that's cool. If it doesn't need to work ingame, that does simplify things.

Alan
Honkey

Post by Alan »

I'm working on a half-assed car as we speak, does that count?
Detroit_Diesel
Cadillac Enthusiast

Post by Detroit_Diesel »

Hmm

Im in :smile: :thumbsup:
"So many pedestrians, so little time." Feel like some road kill today?
Vermilionvirus
turbo bastard

Post by Vermilionvirus »

well seeing as no one has ever bothered to make the red f100 from the road warrior, i guess i'm in, if i can get car ed to work.... ill see what i can do

Alex_Dynamite
road raged psycho

Post by Alex_Dynamite »

Sure, worth a try! :smile:
bruner_james
The Dancing Bear

Post by bruner_james »

I will be in. Just tell me what the challenge is so I can get started. :thumbsup:
Still lazy.
road raged psycho

Sounds like enough people, at least to start.

What we will define is the basic rules, time frame and final status....

Challenge Name:

Rules: Would be either the challenge to fall under one of the 2 major statuses of making a game ready model. (modeling and skinning) The basic concept of what is to be done. You should include poly limits, texture limits and such. I suspect we can be inventive here... Like a if it is a

Time: This should basically be 1 week, so it is isnt so major an event. Just give the end time acording to the clock on the forum.

Final Status: It depends on what we are doing, I guess. A model, need not be skinned, a skin need not have a model. Just try to keep it simple, so that anyone can join.

As far as a "winner" well it is a challenge, so lets just vote.. the people who enter, and the winner gets to pick the next challenge. You can vote on any critieria you wish. Just, you can't vote for yourself.

The person who gets to choose the next challenge should simply start a new thread in the Rant forum like this:

Challenge 1: Challenge Name

AND.... since you are the last one Burner.... You get to pick the subject... :wink:
Mustang
Hot Sexy Man Beast

Post by Mustang »

we had that concept compertition two years (maybe 3) ago. that went pretty good.

im in until i have to skin it. therefore i will just be making a model to look at.

edit* hey Beroc. i remember on your old site you had a really cool tut for uv mapping. i can't do it (except with chilli skin but that was alot of mucking around) you wouldn't still happen to have that tut?

apon reading the topic. just making the model is a great idea, as for the people (like me) who cant get shit into that game.

another rule. poly limits 7.5K is heaps. to stop people makes 100K poly and blowing up computers
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post deleted by coffeycup

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
bruner_james
The Dancing Bear

Post by bruner_james »

You telling me, that I can't wait till the end and surprise everyone? :sad:
Still lazy.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post deleted by coffeycup

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
bruner_james
The Dancing Bear

Post by bruner_james »

ahh ok, So it is ok to surprise everyone at the end as long as you have early wip pics.

I started this morning on the project So I will show some pics in a few days. (Almost done the left fender! :smile:)
Still lazy.
road raged psycho

Heh, kinda good ideas. Scratch Made is the biggest key, if you just took some other model, it wouldnt be very challenging...

However, the poly limit of 7.5k, may or may not apply. It depends on what we are doing.

Mustang, what version of Max are you using? I have some tools that help in UVmapping.

OK, I will start a new thread called Challenges: Idea Box so we can post some ideas for what we want to see.

I guess, I will start it off though, since it kinda was my idea.... So I will make the start thread too.
Kolnedra
hit n run

Post by Kolnedra »

if its a skinning contest , count me in...i havent learned how to model yet xD
road raged psycho

that would be the point of a challenge.. :wink:

it gives you a chance to learn, and ask questions, and get critiques...
Kolnedra
hit n run

Post by Kolnedra »

the only problem is, carEd wont work for me xD
road raged psycho

tis ok, you can use Zmodeler, Max or just about anything that produces a 3ds file. Plaything 2 can be used to setup the car for C2. You would need Max to create anything for TDR, and anything that creates a 3ds file to create stuff fro Crashday.

However, to join this competition... you can use anything that creates 3d stuff. We just want pictures... :wink:
Kolnedra
hit n run

Post by Kolnedra »

ill try zmodeler...seeing that 3dsmax is pretty heavy and pricy xD

oke got it, but now i wanna first try it by modding some1's car, but how do i open c2 files with Z ?
Mustang
Hot Sexy Man Beast

Post by Mustang »

im using gmax.

i have 3.1 on the computer but it will not work. says "hardwear lock is not attached or im using the wrong lock or lock device is not working"

im trying to find 4.2 because thats the one i like
Delinquin
mechanic

Post by Delinquin »

3D MAX is my choice of moddeler (can't stand cared). However if you can't afford it use Gmax. It's virtually the same thing but free. My 30 day trial of 3D Max ran out so I'm using Gamx and I don't think I'll be needing to buy 3D Max.

Check who’s online