Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

"You Drive a Honda Civic Not a Race Car"

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
Mad Max RW
motorised death

"You Drive a Honda Civic Not a Race Car"

Post by Mad Max RW »

Read and learn http://maddox.xmission.com/civic.html

The author is a genius. The rest of his site is all over the place, but this page nails it perfectly. Although, Hondas and whatnot aren't shit cars. Small jap cars are pretty good with gas, but the suped up versions ARE garbage.

Maybe I'm too lazy to write a paper like that. Let's see who bitches at me first for making this topic :P

[Edit]

Another guy I personally knew died in a car accident last week as a result of street racing. He was a passenger. It took place on the merrit parkway (DB, you should know what I'm talking about) on Friday night while it was raining. The driver lost control at 90 mph and smashed into a tree. He walked away with barely a scratch. The passenger died later that night.

These guys I know raced almost all the time and I always said something like this would happen. Morons.

[ October 17, 2002: Message edited by: Mad Max RW ]
Buzz
road raged psycho

Re: "You Drive a Honda Civic Not a Race Car"

Post by Buzz »

they were racing in the rain, yeah talk about stupid
Savage-Elve
road raged psycho

Post by Savage-Elve »

[ October 17, 2002: Message edited by: Savage-Elve ]

Don't shoot me, i'm just the piano player.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yeh, Max- I kinda feel the same way that guy does-those cars look nice, but unless ya take it to (Lime Rock-here in CT), or some other track where they have a "run what ya brung" class for racing-it don't make much sense to beef up mom's old ricer.

Now I see some guys around Danbury that have 6-700 hp jap cars. Do they race 'em down main street? Do they race 'em on the highway? NO-they race 'em at the track where racing is s'posed to be done.

Half these guys can't understand English but they know enuf that if ya got something to prove with a car-ya do it on the track where it matters-not in the street where ya might accidently kill or maim somebody.

Carma-style driving is cool, but not on public roads. Too much can go wrong there.

The law here says 55-65 MPH-if yer doin' 100, yer wrong.

If I remember correctly the max fine for speeding here is $340.00.

That's just too much to risk for having a lil' fun. I know at least 200 other places that money would be better spent. (an' on shit I can keep, too!).

Customizing is one thing-I've done up cars that looked like they went fast and I've done up cars that really did go fast.

I only drive the lookers on the street and I drive 'em like they're s'posed to be driven on the street.

I don't think I could live with myself if I accidently killed somebody's kid or sumpin'...

Hey, Max-I know the Merritt Parkway well.

Those trees are just out to get ya on that road, man.

They just stand there and wait for some idiot to screw up.

Those boneheads learned the hard way.

Ya wanna drive a nice custom? Cool. Drive responsibly and courteously-you'll live longer and mebbe so will I. And you'll be respected for doing so.

Ya wanna race? Buy or build a race car and take it to the track. That 4 year old Civic isn't a race car-Real race cars don't have doors.

[ October 19, 2002: Message edited by: Deep Blue ]
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Buzz
road raged psycho

Post by Buzz »

round here if ya go over a 100mph you go to jail. where my mom lives they sem to be into hill hopping(or what ever they call it) 4 people where killed in about the month i was there from it(they werent the ones in the cars)
Mad Max RW
motorised death

Post by Mad Max RW »

Vermont is supposed to be extremely tough on speeding. A friend of mine from there had his license revoked for 5 years because he was driving like a jerk with his truck. Ran over a couple mailboxes or something.
Mad Max RW
motorised death

Post by Mad Max RW »

Why do I hate these people? Because they're responsible for taking the lives of countless friends of mine. It causes a lot of grief and bullshit from people I hate putting up with. They fuck up the roads with long god damn traffic jams because of accidents late in the afternoon when I'm trying to get home from work, raise my taxes, and the police are always on everybody's case because of it.

Raven, by your logic it's ok to drive while drunk out of your mind. To me that's the lowest of the low. Might as well shoot yourself in the face. At last that doesn't effect me or anyone else in the real world.

Anyways, if the drivers want to kill themselves, fine. I'd just like them to keep their shit away from me for a change.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Fuckin' !WOOF

Jeez Rave- ya feel better now?

I don't remember saying anything about hating ricers-in fact I always said some a those cars impressed me.

Obviously they don't impress the guy who wrote that page, but I agree with some a what he says.

Nuthin' wrong with racing rice-just racing it on public streets that sucks.

One a these days you might have a kid of your own that is riding a bicycle or playing near the street an' yer attitude about it (racing on public roads) might change somewhat.

Racing belongs on a track or on an abandoned road where nobody can get hurt except the people that are going fast.

That's WHY there's laws against racing on public roads-We were just ranking on the stupid (usually ricers because they're more prevalent nowadays, but us musclecar guys did it way before you did..)that screw up and lose it. Sometimes they only kill themselves-in such case they shoulda considered that-they didn't-so they paid the price. Look at it this way: Most people who do these dumb things are just everyday people-who have NO idea whatsoever about what can happen if they should happen to lose control of a ton and a half of speeding metal. Thay dunno how the car's gonna react when the road's not so great, or how they're gonna react when the situation changes in a way that they didn't expect it to, or when speeds get too high for the brakes to work effectively cause they weren't built to stop a car going that fast or in that high speed of a turn 'cause the tires/suspension were made only to hold the car off the ground-not stick to the road in a 90 MPH curve, etc. Real race cars not only have big motors, but even bigger brakes, dig?-and most people don't look any further ahead than their stereo systems or the 'hot chick' on the corner.

Because they have no training for that kind of driving. Atall.

(Training like cops have to go thru. Or professional race drivers (Now there's two kinds of drivers that you can bet your ass are looking thousands of feet ahead of them (it's called "getting the big picture") and have at any given time, already figured out three different ways at LEAST to avoid a fatal collision with something or somebody.).

And if it's too risky-they just don't do it.)

Other times people take somebody innocent with them when they screw up-THAT'S when NO price can cover the damage.

"So, -you- (not you, Rave-ANYBODY-)took that (little kid's/young mother's/somebody's grandfather's or father's) life (PURELY by ACCIDENT,uh-huh) because you figured you had a hot car and either couldn't find a safe place or couldn't be bothered to find a safe place to race it....

Me? I don't think that explanation would cut it to the next-of-kin....

Me personally? If ya got a car-Kustom the hell outta it the way ya see fit, just that the resta us would be able to admire it and would really appreciate it if ya drove it at a reasonable speed so if one of us dumbass peds happens to walk out into the road, we don't get splattered by a speeding Honda

I know around here, every time we hear one a those beer-fart mufflers comin' down the street we all roll our eyes and head further from the curb 'cause junior's out in his beater Honda or Toyoyo that' prolly hasn't seen any decent maintenance since a year before mom stopped driving it and he's only had his license for six months and he's got his head up his ass and he's for sure goin' too fast for the road he's on. We wanna be in a place where the flying pieces or the flaming hulk won't hit us when he eventually loses it. This might be the day his number's up-never know, but I don't wanna be in the way. At least we can hear him comin' from a good ways off

We wanna live long enuf to build our own customs

That's just good sense. But ya already knew that
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yeah, Max-I've lost a couple good ones, too that way.

I remember the day I learned not to drive faster than I can percieve and react to things... I was drivin' to beat hell in my old DeVille..Not what you'd call a racer by any standards..Freakin' barge is what it was.

Anyways I was talkin' to my friend in the seat next to me as I was driving and I was on a fairly empty two lane blacktop road.

I was feelin' cocky so I punched it up to sixty (for you digit-heads, that's roughly 88 FEET per SECOND) and just grooved on that Rochester Q-Jet roaring and headed toward a hillcrest.

Just then, my buddy said something to me-to this day I don't remember what-and I turned to answer him and suddenly-damn near three tons of Caddy was airborne.

As I flew over the top of the rise I saw not 100 yards away, a kid on a blue bike standing wide eyed on the side of the road. (he wasn't in the script???!?).

(Axle-I already told ya sumpin' of this).

The horror in his brown eyes was palpable as he stared at the nose of my car coming toward him.

I was already screaming by this point. I just knew I was gonna land on him.

Well, by all the gods, I landed a little short of where he was and hit the ground again with the brakes locked and the wheel cut hard left. The right rear fin missed his face by mebbe two feet as the Caddy slewed around 180 degrees and slid thru a stand of mailboxes before hitting a big rock and stopping.

I got out after a couple minutes of regaining my composure the best I could and what seemed like an eternity of listening to the kid screaming in terror and walked over to him and apologized profusely for scaring the hell outta him.

I had trouble sleeping for about a year after that.

Man. I don't ever wanna see that face again-just writing this is making me remember too much.

Now I drive so I don't have to.

Where I live is just too crowded and yeah, Max-I spend a lotta time sitting on RTE 7 or I84 waiting for the crews to clear the latest wreckage. Sometimes it takes me two-three hours to go from Ridgefield to New Milford.

[ October 20, 2002: Message edited by: Deep Blue ]
Mad Max RW
motorised death

Post by Mad Max RW »

The funny thing is, the interstate around here and highways (if you want to call them that) weren't built for cars faster than 40 mph.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yup, the Model T days they were built for.

Narrow, twisty, hilly and usually falling apart from alla the truck traffic. Helluva truck route CT is, seems this state is just a way to get from New York to Boston.

Roads around here were built for single unit trucks or combo units under 40,000lbs.

(The old REO tankers, remember the short ones that had the slanty rear end like they all had from the '50s?). Now we got doubles and triples topping 80,000lbs-tears up these roads goodly.

That was the biggest thing they planned for.

They also made sure there's a big oak tree or a pole at the exact apex of every damned single curve to hit and most roads are graded the wrong way-d'ja ever notice those curves that are banked going outwards?

WTF were they thinking?

And ya just gotta love all the stop signs every 200 feet or so.

I'd stop for 'em all if there wa'ant so damned many of 'em. I think they got so many up that they forgot to take down the ones they don't need anymore.

I remember a stretch of Rte.7 in Georgetown where there used to be an intersection across from the A&P market there...The state moved the intersection a couple hundred yards further don the road and left the sign there. Confused the shit outta people for about a month before somebody said "Hey! What's that doin' here in the middle of nowhere?"

Sheesh! People were gettin' tickets for goin' thru it too 'cause even they knew it didn't make any sense.

And Rave, I really don't care if ya wanna paint yer car purple with yellow wheels and put subs in the back that yer inlaws could set up housekeeping inside of and slap the tail section from a B-52 on the rear deck and hang an elephant farting muffler that plays the theme from "The Godfather" when ya step on it. It's still a Japanese economy car. Albeit a 'sport' model. Didya ever see Dale Earnhardt step out of a DOOR and hear his kickass system thumpin' after he finished a race, i don' think so. Race cars don't have that stuff.

Or them Goggles Paisano guys that drive those Formula cars that're nothing more than cigar tubes with rockets in them (yeah, Psssssst! Those cool ground effects kits actually ADD DRAG COEFFICIENTS to your car, slowing it down.) Nope, no coffee cans on those exhausts, nosirree.

Until ya chop out the guts and put subframes, a cage and a huge-ass motor in it and tubs and alla the safety gear and bust out alla the windows and weld the doors shut, it ain't-repeat-ain't a race car. Period. Same for the muscle guys-pay attention:

"Race cars don't have doors"

[ October 20, 2002: Message edited by: Deep Blue ]
Buzz
road raged psycho

Post by Buzz »

rave most people dont have any probs with ricers just the ones that really fuck up thier cars, now unless you've done something to your honda your not to proud of what does it matter
Mad Max RW
motorised death

Post by Mad Max RW »

The highway systems were built during the Cold War era so military shit could get around in secret. That's why they snake around for no reason at all. Supposedly made it harder for the Russians to track movement.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Well, Max-mebbe the interstate systems, but the secondaries were made just after stuff started goin' faster than a horse could pull it.

As I understand it, back then the Russians could blast the hell outta our military stuff-IF they could only find it. Period.

I understand that they had pretty much just graduated to radars with those big Campbell's soup can transistors in them instead of mostly vacuum tubes (buggers didn't work so good in the cold, heheh.).

A spy satellite back then consisted of a guy in a can looking out the window with a Kodak 110 up there in space and wondering just how'n the hell he was gonna get back down in one piece. Hell. We coulda flattened alla the trees and knocked the hills down and they still couldna found our stuff.

Which it turns out didn't really matter anyway because they dumped most of it in the LaSalle section of Niagara Falls, N.Y. (Gotta love the Hooker Chemical Corp.! ) and then built houses on top of it until people started getting sick and mutating weird ways and they came in and chased everybody out, boarded everything up, fenced it off and put up signs with "Danger-Toxic" all over the place with chemical names I couldn't fathom til the place looked like the nuke plant in "Doom" and made it a ghost town with armed guards all over the perimeter for a couple years and then the whole world knew where it was.

I figure most road planners will take the path of least resistance- unless the only path has a mountain in it that's too big to pave over. ('Course in West Virginia a stupid lil' thang like a hill didn't stop 'em from making roads with 45 degree up-angles).

Thing is,all the Russians woulda hadda do is sit in the upstairs of a house on Exit 4 or 5 in Danbury and count the trucks going by. There weren't any 'noise barriers' up back then.
-[ Raven-X ]-
kill boss

Post by -[ Raven-X ]- »

For starters, stop putting fucking words in my mouth!!!!

i never said i'm for street racing, nor did i say i'm for drunk driving! get a fucking clue or just shut the fuck up please.

Yes, street racing in real life is retarded, but saying only ricers do it is even more retarded.

Other cars are able to kill just as well. Not to mention that driving slow can kill people too.

Aaaaalso, that page is NOT about killing people with cars. So what are you all bitching about.

But i'm not gonna bother with most of you lot anymore, you only think/read what you wanna think/read.

[ October 20, 2002: Message edited by: -[ Raven-X ]- ]
- Straight From My Realm Of My Underground Madness!! -
Buzz
road raged psycho

Post by Buzz »

Rave thats not what they ment, they mean alot of ricers do it, along with other people, but the majority of street racers are ricers or wanna be ricers(the one everyone here hates)
The_Devils_Avocado
motorised death

Post by The_Devils_Avocado »

Where did the term 'Rice' come from anyway? It seems like a wierd name (or i just can't figure it out)
Mad Max RW
motorised death

Post by Mad Max RW »

Buzz:

Rave thats not what they ment, they mean alot of ricers do it, along with other people, but the majority of street racers are ricers or wanna be ricers(the one everyone here hates)
Precisely.
Dark Angel
angelus

Post by Dark Angel »

-[ Raven-X ]-:

get a fucking clue or just shut the fuck up please.
OMG!! Rave said please?!

/me falls over!

CADster
turbo bastard

Post by CADster »

i dont understand the reason for souping-up rice cars. They are hard as hell to work on.

Thursday night i had a small (not small, freaking tiny) water hose split on my prelude. Im pretty sure its part of the heater bypass setup (i say setup because on an american car its a couple of good size hoses and they are worlds easier to change. But on this fucking honda its a maze of T splits and hoses that run inder the fuel injectors, fuel rail and everywhere else thats hard to reach). after an hour or two Thursday night it was fixed. but come Saturday another damn hose breaks and this one was a total bitch to reach. several hours Sunday were spend removing shit from the car just so i could reach this damn little hose. it was only about 18" long and not one bit of it was easy to get to. hell, this hose was so buried you could only see the steam, not the hose.... that just sucks.

damn, some people just like shit to be hard. not me, i like lots of room and v8 power. if something is hard to get to in my truck i can climb into the damn engine bay.... thats just cool (in a redneck kinda way ).
Slayer
hit n run

Post by Slayer »

yeah i know, open the hood of a modern car and you MIGHT be able to see the very top of the valve cover and intake and a huge mass of wires, whole harnesses evreywhere, sensors, vacuum lines, hoses and generaly lots of crap making a big mess, not only do you have to take lots of this shit off to get at anything, hell, even changing the plugs on a 4 cylinder can be an hour of swearing and bleeding knuckles.. but if you're replacing say, an intake, exhaust manifold or my god a CAM change in a new car you have to worry about garbage like, the computer or engine managment system as they like to call it, emissions etc.... in an old car, it doesn't matter if it's a muscle car chevelle or big old plymouth, if you want to change an intake its about a half-hours work at most...you open the hood and all you see is an ENGINE and that's the way it should be....

[ October 21, 2002: Message edited by: Slayer ]

Chrysler FIREpower:) crashoc
Mad Max RW
motorised death

Post by Mad Max RW »

They make them a bitch to work on in order to put service stations out of business, but make it nearly impossible for owners to maintain their cars by themselves. Want something fixed? Go to a dealership and get screwed.

You can't even take the batteries out of new Fords without a special tool ONLY dealerships have. Otherwise all the computers and shit will never work again. The Crown Victoria is a good example.

[ October 21, 2002: Message edited by: Mad Max RW ]
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Good point CAD. Set yer tools and yer sixpack on the air cleaner and climb on in there-hell, there's even roo for yer buddy on the other side of the engine..heheh.

God I miss those ol' days sometimes, but I forget them quick when it only costs me $8 to fill my tank from dead empty and the damn lil' bugger gets me 45 MPG.

And yes, Slayer-I DO have to change a cam on my '88 Pontiac(Opel Kadett)daily driver.

No. 1 exhaust lobe has been half gone and what's left is all square now from a stuck valve lash compensator I said "to hell with it" and drove alla way to Canada and back from Connecticut with it bangin like a dixieland band.

Now all's I notice is a slight thump at low idle and the tach shows a drop when that valve tries to open alla way and can't.

SOOOoooo, time for a new cammy-got one fresh outta the box but the new rockers(they aren't really rockers) can only be had from Pontiac-friggin' dealers..

Oh, but I can get new compensators at Advance for $80.00 ayuh.

Take out the battery and alla the fluid bottles (they conveniently put 'em all in one area so's to make sure ya gotta take every friggin one of 'em out to get the cam outta the head), and then after undoing the distributor and the timing gear and removing alla the compensators/rockers (I hadda friggin' MAKE a special tool outta scrap iron to do this because the fookin' dealer doesn't stock the tool anymore.)

Then skinny the cam out one lobe at a time (deep-set head- no bearing caps (hell, no BEARINGS!) on this cam, no way-that'd be too damn easy now, wouldn't it, yessirreee...

Ahh, jeez... I wish I had my ol' 239 flathead V8...Nothin' but head bolts as far as the eye could see...

Rave, I was knockin' the same guys they were knockin' Not you or yer car.

I just can't stand it when some bugger whelp still wet behind the ears comes up to my Ford at a light and gives me the Yo muthafucka treatment with his mom's old jap car and he thinks that his cow-farting muffler and sub is gonna intimidate me.

I just wanna drop my Hi-stall automatic (yes, AUTOMATIC) in reverse and slowly back over the little snot until dirty motor oil is oozing out his ears.

Those kinda folks just punch my buttons sometimes.

I got nuthin' against people who like to customize rice or any other kinda cars- long as they drive 'em responsibly when they're on the same road as me.
Buzz
road raged psycho

Post by Buzz »

bah i cant drive autos, always end up speeding, not that i dont anyway but i tend to go over alot more
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Oh, Yeah-T.D.A.-Rice is a major part of the Japanese/Asian diet.

It grows goodly over there as far as I and my uncle who went to Vietnam know.

So Japanes vehicles are usually referred to as "Rice" or "Rice Rockets"

It's the same with the Harley bunch calling Japanese bikes "rice".

Check who’s online