Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Stupidest version ever!

Chat about funsize Carmageddon for Android and iOS!
QTZ
hit n run

Stupidest version ever!

Post by QTZ »

OK here is my review.

I have Tested Carma Free on Android, but I think the problems are also corresponding to full version.

First problem was installer which need about 90MB of space in phone memory, since my phone is cheap one it have very small memory amount dedicated for user. So I cleaned everything to install this, and it installed after few trials (till passed out of space message), but the apk take about 10 MB, where other part is on SD Card after installation (then with CF installed, I have installed Open Arena which require more than 400MB without problems). So why it need so much memory for install? Also I think the movies and music should be moved to data block (obb) instead of put it inside apk, since apk can't be moved to SD Card and took too much space in internal memory.

Now a bit of sugar...

The game look nice (maybe too nice, but OK, anyway much better than many other Android games).

Controls are very good, I tested also C1 under various versions of DOSBox, so the Android port work fast and much more comfortable opposite to them.

First look - the cars windows are shadowed, but there is no environment reflection as it is in original version.

The water is not transparent which can be transparent in original version (only interplay version have necessary files included, but user can add them from SP demo to see transparency in C1, so there was no transparency only because of bug...).

The cockpits are missing, the view from car on map, net play and for this version there is no part shop.

But the basic and stupidest thing is game rule which add points to player when opponents hit player car.

We can set the car as first on start, then just watch as it won the race without any interaction...

Also to beat all pedestrians we need to avoid opponents which wasting on us ending game too quickly.

BTW: In C2 is a bit stupid too, but it's playable, when we hit opponent and it crash somewhere else we took the points.

But here... sorry this *must be* fixed...

Other things: Where is the boring mode, where are the zombies? Where is Splat Pack? C2?

About zombies - you probably think the time has changed and now we (you) don't need zombies, but I think you have missed that this was cool to have the different versions, and this was one of the thing that make Carmageddon so interesting.
ManIkWeet
mechanic

Stupidest version ever!

Post by ManIkWeet »

QTZ wrote:OK here is my review.

I have Tested Carma Free on Android, but I think the problems are also corresponding to full version.

First problem was installer which need about 90MB of space in phone memory, since my phone is cheap one it have very small memory amount dedicated for user. So I cleaned everything to install this, and it installed after few trials (till passed out of space message), but the apk take about 10 MB, where other part is on SD Card after installation (then with CF installed, I have installed Open Arena which require more than 400MB without problems). So why it need so much memory for install? Also I think the movies and music should be moved to data block (obb) instead of put it inside apk, since apk can't be moved to SD Card and took too much space in internal memory.

Now a bit of sugar...

The game look nice (maybe too nice, but OK, anyway much better than many other Android games).

Controls are very good, I tested also C1 under various versions of DOSBox, so the Android port work fast and much more comfortable opposite to them.

First look - the cars windows are shadowed, but there is no environment reflection as it is in original version.

The water is not transparent which can be transparent in original version (only interplay version have necessary files included, but user can add them from SP demo to see transparency in C1, so there was no transparency only because of bug...).

The cockpits are missing, the view from car on map, net play and for this version there is no part shop.

But the basic and stupidest thing is game rule which add points to player when opponents hit player car.

We can set the car as first on start, then just watch as it won the race without any interaction...

Also to beat all pedestrians we need to avoid opponents which wasting on us ending game too quickly.

BTW: In C2 is a bit stupid too, but it's playable, when we hit opponent and it crash somewhere else we took the points.

But here... sorry this *must be* fixed...

Other things: Where is the boring mode, where are the zombies? Where is Splat Pack? C2?

About zombies - you probably think the time has changed and now we (you) don't need zombies, but I think you have missed that this was cool to have the different versions, and this was one of the thing that make Carmageddon so interesting.

Hard to read, but I'll try:

Storage space issues is your problem, remove some junk you don't need (like the facebook app)

Reflections on windows are device specific, my Android device has skybox reflections, but my (admittedly beta/hacked/unreleased) Windows Phone does not.

Cars that suicide on you will get a lot more difficult in other levels, as they get stronger.

There aren't really any points, you get time & money, that's it.

Cockpits are missing because they'd look stretched on our current widescreen devices, they didn't have the budget to create new ones.

Car view on map, well, that'd be very small...

Net play would add a lot of latency, this is a port of the original Carmageddon which also couldn't handle latency well.

Transparent water... Have you ever looked at a sea in real life? How transparent is that?

There's a part shop, just not in the free trial.

Splat pack isn't included because of budget.

Zombies, no one wants zombies :P

C2 isn't made because of budget and team time allocation. They prefer to focus on the new PC game.
QTZ
hit n run

Stupidest version ever!

Post by QTZ »

Cars that suicide on you will get a lot more difficult in other levels, as they get stronger. (...), you get time & money

This is absolutely wrong and ruing game play.

Try to leave game for a while and you will won without interaction. Try to kill all zombies... er... pedestrians.

I don't think in C1 (for PC) they get stronger, so you are think they changed other rules too?

In C1 for PC cars are chosen by game engine as I described in my test - depend of strength parameter (also scums have special mining).

Storage space issues is your problem, remove some junk you don't need (like the facebook app)

Space is problem in general, so I don't want there big apk when it may be stored with other data on SD Card.

Checking this from browser - it took about 27 MB which only about 4MB is necessary. I thnk they put MP3 and M4V files there since "usually" internal memory is faster than external, but I think currently most available SDCards are fast enough.

Second thing - installer work bad since it need more memory than is necessary. In opposite to the mentioned OA installer.

About water - everything there doesn't reminds real life 1:1, so what? Water is transparent in PC version, so why it's not transparent on Android?

The full version is not free, they also made CR... we are doing so much things for community absolutely free, they made more money thanks to us, so this is no excuse.

Latency on original C1 is because we have troubles with most old games on current hardware... They replaced the engine, so there was/is no net implemented...

Only thing I can agree is the cockpit problem, but too bad it's removed... at least pratcam is still there :)

Yes, my English is not good...

PS. I'm not using FB :P

Check who’s online