Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Replacing the default songs?

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
DrNukenstein
pedestrian

Post by DrNukenstein »

Yes, yes, I know you can mute the in-game music and leave Steam's music player or somesuch running in the background. I want the music controlled by the game's systems (i.e. switching tracks between races and menus, etc).

I've extracted the Audio-music.zad and edited the xml and playlist.cfg files to add the songs of my choosing, and have replaced/renamed the default tracks with songs of my choosing, but the game doesn't load. It sits there at the splash screen. I've verified the game cache through Steam, I've renamed my custom archive to zAudio-music.zad.

How do I get this to work?
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

You don't need to extract anything or edit the xml, you can simply just open up the zad, drop your new songs in and edit the playlist cfg from there.

https://carmageddon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204392251-How-do-I-add-custom-music-playlists-
C:MD Mods: Overhaul / Car Lot
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

You also need to make sure you put the complete filename including the ".mp3" in the _playlists.cfg otherwise it won't load any tracks. The game also only accepts MP3 files.

Another issue could be with the filename containing characters the game doesn't like, so make sure the MP3 files only use plain letters from A to Z, numbers from 0 to 9 and spaces, remove any other punctuation or special characters to be safe.

You also don't need to edit the original ZAD, you can make a separate one to make it easier to go back to the original music. The best workflow for this is to make a folder called "Data_Core" somewhere, then inside that make "Content", inside that make "Audio" and inside that make "Music". Place all your MP3 files inside the music folder along with the _playlists file, make the changes to the playlists (you can leave any old songs in there if you want) then use your favourite ZIP software to compress the Data_Core folder to a ZIP file (make sure you create a ZIP file, not a 7z or RAR or ACE or any other format) then rename it to something like "Audio_Music2.ZAD" and place in the ZAD_AUDIO folder. make sure you also have Windows set to show file extensions otherwise when you rename the ZIP to ZAD it will still have ZIP as the file extension!
a.k.a. Brent
DrNukenstein
pedestrian

Post by DrNukenstein »

I actually did all that before asking.

I backed up the original zad after unzipping it so I'd always have the vanilla files. I edited the playlist.cfg file, adding my tracks, which are all mp3, following the same formatting of each entry as the vanilla entries (copy/paste one of the vanilla lines and edit the name of the mp3).

I renamed some of my tracks to those of the vanilla tracks, which was probably more tedious than simply changing the names in the cfg file :P

I removed all special characters, leaving only spaces and numbers where applicable (pt1 and pt2) and removed the track numbers from the filenames.

Sample rate and bit rate of my tracks are the same as the vanilla tracks.

Is it limited to the original number of tracks (27)? I assume it goes by whatever's in playlist.cfg, even if I have un-used (unlisted) tracks in the zad.

Steam/the game is not on C: drive, so UAC/Firewall/Antivirus isn't the problem.

I did find an error I made in playlist.cfg where I pasted the track names in 2 different places in the menu and race lists, so I made them match each other. I also found an errant backspace that combined two track names on one line and fixed that.

I re-zipped as a ZIP and renamed it zad. I had been doing 7z and renaming, so thanks for that tip.

However, the game does actually load now, but I get no music, and "Unknown Artist - Unknown Track" across the top of the screen.

I did verify game cache again, then re-zipped my zip and replaced the original. I do not want the original songs to play at all.
LuckyMike
hit n run

Post by LuckyMike »

Why do you need all these problems with archives.

Just unpacked Audio_Music.zad to c:r folder. Directly to the main game folder. It is only necessary to rename the old archive file.

It is desirable to align the volume level of your MP3 files with the originals.

The music system is not perfect. Tracks do not play randomly. When game loading is always play the first track from playlist. If you make the first track is very short, the music in the game stops working. In the race game may start playing music tracks from the menu playlist. They play randomly just between menu and race playlists.

Is not fun, when you raise a certain bonus (dancing peds), regular music interrupted whith horrible melody. :-)
DrNukenstein
pedestrian

Post by DrNukenstein »

The volume of my chosen mp3 files are comparable to the originals - they're not too low or too loud.

I've trimmed my selections down to match the original 27, but still no joy.

I'm doing this in Career mode, not multiplayer or CarMODgeddon. Does that matter?
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Leave the original ZAD in the ZAD_AUDIO folder. The _playlists.cfg in your custom ZAD will override the original. Only the music listed in your CFG will get played. It also means that if the original music is playing then that narrows down the problem to the game not finding your _playlists.cfg at all which would likely be due to the folder structure in the ZAD being incorrect or the filename being incorrect (make sure is exactly _playlists.cfg with the underscore at the start and the S at the end). The custom music works everywhere, not in one specific mode; it's not limited to CarMODgeddon and as far as I'm aware there's no limit on the number of tracks.

If the game is saying "Unknown Artist - Unknown Song" then that means it is not finding any songs to play. This could mean the _playlists.cfg is not formatted correctly and/or the filenames are incorrect. I think if one entry is incorrect then no music is loaded. The other possibility is the actual MP3 files are either in the wrong location, which is more likely, or not compatible for some reason, which is far less likely.

The process I described in my previous post is how it should be done, so without seeing exactly what's in your ZAD there's not a much more advise we can give...
a.k.a. Brent
DrNukenstein
pedestrian

Post by DrNukenstein »

This is what I did most-recently, step by step, after deleting my zad and my tracks and starting over with a fresh download from Steam's Verify Local Files option:

1. Extract Audio_Music.zad in the folder where it was installed (K:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Carmageddon_Reincarnation\ZAD_AUDIO) so now instead of just seeing Audio.zad and Audio_Music.zad I see a folder named Audio_Music, Audio.zad, and Audio_Music.zad.

2. Open my CD-rips folder in a new window containing all the original CDs I bought and ripped to my PC over the years, and copy the songs I want to hear in-game to the aforementioned Audio_Music folder.

3. Copy said Audio_Music folder and Audio_Music.zad to a completely different HDD and open said Audio_Music folder.

4. Delete the original tracks in the Audio_Music folder, leaving only the aforementioned cfg file.

5. With the original Audio_Music folder now containing nothing but the tracks of my choice and the original cfg file open, and the cfg file open in a text editor (UltraEdit), I commence to rename my chosen tracks to match those listed in the cfg file from top to bottom.

6. Right-click on the Audio_Music folder, select 7-zip>Add to Audio_Music.zip and let it finish.

7. Rename Audio_Music.zip to Audio_Music.zad, and OK my way past the warning about changing file extensions.

8. Start the game, wait for it to load (presumably parsing the slightly-larger-than-original Audio_Music.zad file), load my Save, verify the in-game audio option does have "Play Music" checked, and run through 4 levels waiting for my music to begin playing.

9. Exit game.
LuckyMike
hit n run

Post by LuckyMike »

Right-click on the Audio_Music folder, select 7-zip>Add to Audio_Music.zip and let it finish.
This is not right, i think. audio_music.ZAd file contains folders.

You can edit the original file (add, copy, delete), if you so want to work with this archives.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

DrNukenstein wrote:This is what I did most-recently, step by step, after deleting my zad and my tracks and starting over with a fresh download from Steam's Verify Local Files option:

1. Extract Audio_Music.zad in the folder where it was installed (K:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Carmageddon_Reincarnation\ZAD_AUDIO) so now instead of just seeing Audio.zad and Audio_Music.zad I see a folder named Audio_Music, Audio.zad, and Audio_Music.zad.

2. Open my CD-rips folder in a new window containing all the original CDs I bought and ripped to my PC over the years, and copy the songs I want to hear in-game to the aforementioned Audio_Music folder.

3. Copy said Audio_Music folder and Audio_Music.zad to a completely different HDD and open said Audio_Music folder.

4. Delete the original tracks in the Audio_Music folder, leaving only the aforementioned cfg file.

5. With the original Audio_Music folder now containing nothing but the tracks of my choice and the original cfg file open, and the cfg file open in a text editor (UltraEdit), I commence to rename my chosen tracks to match those listed in the cfg file from top to bottom.

6. Right-click on the Audio_Music folder, select 7-zip>Add to Audio_Music.zip and let it finish.

7. Rename Audio_Music.zip to Audio_Music.zad, and OK my way past the warning about changing file extensions.

8. Start the game, wait for it to load (presumably parsing the slightly-larger-than-original Audio_Music.zad file), load my Save, verify the in-game audio option does have "Play Music" checked, and run through 4 levels waiting for my music to begin playing.

9. Exit game.

Right clicking on the "Audio_Music" folder and clicking "7-Zip->Add To Audio_Music.zip" will always put everything inside a folder called "Audio_Music" in the zip. You need to make sure the folder structure inside the ZIP is EXACTLY "Data_Core\Content\Audio\Music\" just like in the original ZAD file. If the MP3's and CFG are not inside that folder structure in the ZAD then the game will not be able to find them.

I'll repeat the workflow I explained in my earlier post and bullet point it so it is fool-proof to read:

1. Make a folder somewhere to work from.

2. Make a folder in that called Data_Core.

3. Make a folder in Data_Core called Content

4. Make a folder in Content called Audio

5. Make a folder in Audio called Music

6. Place all the MP3's you want inside that Music folder

7. Copy the _playlists.cfg file form the original Audio_Music.ZAD into that Music folder

8. Edit the _playlists.cfg file to only contain the tracks you want.

9. Go back to your working folder which contains Data_Core

10. Right click on Data_Core and click 7Zip->Add to Data_Core.zip

11. Rename Data_Core.zip to Audio_Music2.zad

12. Place Audio_Music2.zad inside the game's ZAD_AUDIO folder

13. Start the game and enjoy your music!

Do that and it will work.
a.k.a. Brent
DrNukenstein
pedestrian

Post by DrNukenstein »

aaaaand I'm a stupid CNT :lol:

Following the idiot proof directions, it works. But then you knew it would, if I just followed the idiot proof directions :P

Thanksafkntonmate!
DrNukenstein
pedestrian

Post by DrNukenstein »

So here's the playlist I'm slaughtering along to:

Megadeth:

-99 Ways to Die (at least!)

-Crush em (doing a lot of that)

-Hangar 18 (in memory of the old C1 level)

-Take No Prisoners (obvious)

-Vortex (Opponent/Ped Tosser)

-Breakpoint (you're pushing me to a ___)

-Holy Wars (kinda fits)

-Kill the King ("You're in the lead!")

-Psychotron (Rebuilt Max? Ed-209?)

-Reckoning Day (Here comes the ___)

-FFF (Fight For Freedom)

-Skin o my teeth (a crosswalk hit and run)

-The Disintegrators (the slayers arrived on a black horse of steel)

-Victory (beaten bloodied and scarred)

Metallica:

-Battery (cannot stop the ___)

-Fight Fire with Fire (and fight traffic with Opponent Repulsificators)

-Ride the lightning (you know why)

-Motorbreath (it's how I live my life, I can't take it any other way)

-The four horsemen (now you've got the fight of your life!)

-Damage, Inc (life ain't for you and we're the cure)

-Seek and Destroy (lookin for you to start up a fight)

Judas Priest:

-Breaking the Law (because really)

-Rapid Fire (pounding the world like a battering ram)

-Freewheel Burning (born to lead at breakneck speed with high octane we're spitting flames)

-Heading Out to the Highway (there's miles ahead to put it back together)

-Riding on the Wind (sailing off rooftops anyway)

-Running Wild (cuz what's the point of living unless you're ___)

-Drive (Ok so it's actually Halford, but whatever)

W.A.S.P.:

-The Torture Never Stops (if I have anything to say about it)

-Fistful of Diamonds (gotta get those credits)

-Hellion (the devil's hellion child)

-I wanna be somebody (Of course I sing along with it as "I wanna beat somebody, beat somebody soon")

-Show No Mercy (why would you?)

-Ballcrusher (funny thing here: when I was renaming tracks to the vanilla names, this one took the place of Mindless Life Siphon)

Van Halen:

-And the cradle will rock (OK, I really don't know why. Originally it was Atomic Punk)

Type O Negative:

-Dead Again (because there's a lot of that going around)

Alice Cooper:

-Under My Wheels (I mean, you just have to)

Motorhead:

-Ace of Spades (because Lemmy)

X-Japan:

-Blue Blood (I slice my face flows with blue blood - give me some more pain)

Police:

-Demolition Man (because nobody did a really good Metal version and I don't have Grace Jones' version)

Iron Maiden:

-Wrathchild (Max's life story? If Running Free was a bit more "beefy" it'd fit.)

Check who’s online