Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Steam db: C:R info (Build 7452)

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
streetroulette
pedestrian

Post by streetroulette »

First of it all, that's my first message and I salute everyone here. Second, I just find normal that updates are more delayed one from the other. I think that they work in packages. Alpha first and then beta. BTW even if the next update should not be the beta I'm just fine. At the end of the day it's just a game, even if one of my favourite ones. And we have a community here, thanks to the Stainless, which captures all the communities that were before on the internet.
SapoPT
hit n run

Post by SapoPT »

I think that the bad thing here is that we went from a weekly stream to 0 news. Just saying something would be nice
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

SapoPT wrote:I think that the bad thing here is that we went from a weekly stream to 0 news. Just saying something would be nice
I'm gonna have to agree with SapoPT, having a little something official from stainless would be neato. The steam forums must be giving Stainless a bad taste for the fanbase though. Did you see them? It's nothing but misinformation and harassment in vain hopes to force something out of Stainless. It almost feels like the carmageddon.com forum is the only respectful one that holds Stainless in high regards.
skyNET
turbo bastard

Post by skyNET »

FatCat wrote:The steam forums must be giving Stainless a bad taste for the fanbase though.
Humans in large enough numbers are fairly predictable. Agression grows as population increases and space decreases, even if virtual (or perceived).

Steam forums are just like that. Too many users, too small virtual space - it's the first "stop" for a bandwagon that one can find. And it all "ends" in a self-reinforcing feedback loop.
SapoPT
hit n run

Post by SapoPT »

Steam forums is another story and even if we had alot of things to say, almost nothing good comes out of it..

An interesting post on the nextcargame forum talking about similiar issues, although they are doing a better job communicating is, that I think that shows exaclty the problem around here is this one. Even if you dont have that game you should read it.

I think it explains very well the problem of carmageddon as well, users got deluded from how it was going to be from what it is.During kickstart I was thinking that there was going to be a lot more opening to the community, but then there was nothing. Then we had the time of monthly updates, but they quickly stopped. Then we weekly streams but they also stopped. Normally there were some competitions, like last years Christmas at this time, but they also stopped. All the news I see aren't really game related which is pretty sad.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

The big problem most people have is getting their heads around the idea that different developers have different styles and methods of development and that just because one developer is doing it one way doesn't mean that another developer is actually capable of doing it the same way.

Take the example used in that post: "I don't think it is too much to ask an established dev to be able to match a small indie companies like Introversion Software." That statement is utterly ridiculous to make. A tiny indie team like Introversion which has less than a dozen employees is able to just throw up blog posts and news and updates about their game because they are so small. Everyone knows exactly what everyone else is doing at any given time; it takes very little time to collect together everyone's latest work; the people in charge of deciding what content to share and making decisions about schedules and marketing and all that are the same people coding and making content for the game. Having such a compact team makes keeping the community updated on the progress of each member. If they make something cool and want to show it off then they can do that because they can give themselves permission to do so.

A larger indie like Stainless has dozens of people working on different things, split into departments like Design, Production, Tech and Marketing & Publishing. The people actually making the game aren't the people who put together the blog posts or tell the community what's going on, I think that's the Marketing & Publishing department. That means updates like blog posts are probably done like this: the production department needs take time out of development to report to the M&P department about their work, the M&P department decides what the update should contain and goes back to the production department to get screenshots and hard info about the set M&P want to talk about in the update, which interrupts production, then M&P have to create the blog post or whatever. That backwards and forwards is time consuming and gets in the way of actually making the game. It's not like the people making the cool things can just post on the forums and show off what they're doing because they don't know how the bosses want it to be handled.

Right now they are all crunching hard. All the development team are working like nutcases trying to get the game finished and all the people like Nobby are swamped keeping things running smoothly and managing the project among all the other jobs he has to do running the company, after all it's not just Carmageddon which Stainless makes. The amount of time it takes to coordinate an update is significant.

The further into development a game gets, the more pressure the team is under to finish it, the less spare time they have each day, the harder they have to work, the less time they can spend telling the community what's happening and the less interesting information there is to share as it gets to the point where nothing new is being made (and what hasn't already been shown off is being kept as a surprise for the final release) but all work is focussed on the minutia of polishing the game for release. I am sure Bugbear are in exactly the same situation. Every developer would love to be able to keep their communities up to date on what's going on but the crunch to complete the game leaves them with little to no time to do so.
a.k.a. Brent
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Uh oh, A sale? RIP C:R steam forums. We'll never hear the end of this one.
SapoPT
hit n run

Post by SapoPT »

I think its funny when i wrote my last post thinking that all the latest news are about some kind of sales and a few hours later another sale appear... This is the second sale of reincarnation without any kind of news or anything between them..
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

SapoPT wrote:I think its funny when i wrote my last post thinking that all the latest news are about some kind of sales and a few hours later another sale appear... This is the second sale of reincarnation without any kind of news or anything between them..
You know what would have been cool? what would have been REALLY cool? If Stainless would have hidden a screenshot of something new in the fall sale front page picture. Ya know? Nobby, why are you not teasing us, bro! :C
SapoPT
hit n run

Post by SapoPT »

FatCat wrote:
SapoPT wrote:I think its funny when i wrote my last post thinking that all the latest news are about some kind of sales and a few hours later another sale appear... This is the second sale of reincarnation without any kind of news or anything between them..

You know what would have been cool? what would have been REALLY cool? If Stainless would have hidden a screenshot of something new in the fall sale front page picture. Ya know? Nobby, why are you not teasing us, bro! :C

Right now I'm so disappointed that I think that even that wouldn't make me happy. They are selling off their game.. Just sale after sale..
Epitaph
motorised death

Post by Epitaph »

Geez...Talk about the prophets of doom!!

Relax guys!
The Unbreakable Kavinsky
driver

Post by The Unbreakable Kavinsky »

Epitaph wrote:Geez...Talk about the prophets of doom!!

Relax guys!

indeed, and its a wonder theres not a lets sink this bitch kinda mentality going on here at the forums with the admins, hell it really shows you how tolerant they are that no one has come on here and closed all of these negative threads.
Deadhart
motorised death

Post by Deadhart »

CONSPIRACY!!!

Durrr Firemansions. Derp Illumanatee. Bodybuilderbergs! Tri-latte-oral comssion, hurrrr derp
Epitaph
motorised death

Post by Epitaph »

ok....It's almost 12 days since they've updated this

https://steamdb.info/app/249380/history/

OMG WTH IS GOING ON??? DID MARTIANS KIDNAP STAINLESS DEVZ AND DESTROYED ALL THE HDDs???

:p

Have a good Month everyone! Hopefully at the end of it we'll get a nice update from Nobby and maybe another update of what happened at the Mayhemic Christmas Day at the Stainless HQs!
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Epitaph wrote:
OMG WTH IS GOING ON???
http://steamcommunity.com/stats/249380/achievements/

This seems to be whats going on. These cheevos keep getting 0.1% statuses, i guess that's how we know the achievement has been thoroughly tested. =D

It's too bad that it only goes one decimal back, some achievements have 0.05% but it still shows as 0%
Deadhart
motorised death

Post by Deadhart »

I've been thinking. Maybe the Unholy TRinity means having all three Carmageddons on steam? Notcounting splat pack, since that one is packed together with C1 in max pack.
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Deadhart wrote:I've been thinking. Maybe the Unholy TRinity means having all three Carmageddons on steam? Notcounting splat pack, since that one is packed together with C1 in max pack.
I have an extra fondness for the Splat Pack campaign more than all the other carmas. The cars and maps are even more outlandish than C1 vanilla. I hope Stainless considers remaking the Splat Pack as a full-price Expansion Pack disguised as DLC for C:R eventually.

Something bother me though with the free dlc for backers though... if Stainless cant make money out of large expansion packs, wouldnt that mean that they simply could not afford to make any? I mean, something like that would be expensive, you'd have to hire conceptual artists, modellers, etc. out the wazoo and you have to pay all those people a good wage, it's expensive at the end of the line!
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

FatCat wrote:Something bother me though with the free dlc for backers though... if Stainless cant make money out of large expansion packs, wouldnt that mean that they simply could not afford to make any?
That's exactly the sort of thing which the self-entitled moaners who complained about Stainless making DLC didn't think about when the harassed Stainless into giving it all for free. The amount of DLC Stainless want to make (at least from the impression Nobby gave when talking about it on Steam) sounds like they wanted to make tons more content than the main game, which naturally will cost money to do, which they need to make money on to be worth while from a business standpoint, which they now have to give away to all the backers.

Luckily there's not really too many backers. There's 15,736 Kickstarter backers and, by a rough calculation, 1,386 PayPal backers, so that's only roughly 17,000 people who will be getting the DLC for free (not counting those who were gifted copies of the game by backers who had multiple copies). Hopefully all those people who have bought the game since it went on Early Access will buy the DLC too. The more popular the game and DLC, the more content they will make for it.
a.k.a. Brent
skyNET
turbo bastard

Post by skyNET »

On the very same steamdb

https://steamdb.info/app/249380/dlc/

There are AppID's reserved for 5 DLCs - whether these will come to fruition or not, or maybe more would be added later, only time (and money) will tell. So at least 5 DLCs were/are planned. I thought you guys noticed it... apparently not, so I decided to post this info just to take place in common knowledge.
Epitaph
motorised death

Post by Epitaph »

And what do you know? Just a few hours ago we got a new update!

Change #794467 (?)

Previous one was

Change #775972 (?)
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Epitaph wrote:And what do you know? Just a few hours ago we got a new update!

Change #794467 (?)

Previous one was

Change #775972 (?)
Oh dang, you're right, their internal build number just went from Build 9016 to Build 9035!
Epitaph
motorised death

Post by Epitaph »

Ok Fatcat, here's a question.

I never before noticed the Build number in that site you posted on the original post.

I did notice it now though, and while i scrolled down to # Change #768558 (?) which was 16 days ago, i saw Build 9015 appearing again.

So i'm a bit confused... You know what's going on?
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

I dont know for sure what's going on, but i'm guessing that those build "numbers" that get progressively higher values as time goes on are the number of the internal build that stainless is currently using to develop on.
Epitaph
motorised death

Post by Epitaph »

Geez...I just noticed...i confused 9015 with 9035... So yes, you're right build versions get progressively higher values (No shit!!!) and there hasn't been a discontinuation of that.

So i'm a happy llama again
Mephala
mechanic

Post by Mephala »

It has updated to 9046...
felthat
hit n run

Post by felthat »

its over 9000

:o
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Mephala wrote:It has updated to 9046...
All these new build tests in such a short time span, this is most unusual! =D
shane
Stainless

Post by shane »

How often are you lot pressing F5 on that page? ;)
Ex-Carmageddon Community Manager - Carmageddon.com
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

shane wrote:How often are you lot pressing F5 on that page? ;)
Maybe a few times a day. ( ^ω^)
Deadhart
motorised death

Post by Deadhart »

shane wrote:How often are you lot pressing F5 on that page? ;)

FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

They seem to have changed the internal naming for championship race classes from "nodes" to "levels". Given how there's an achievement for level 2 and level 10, i'm betting that the career mode's levels have a few races a piece like in Carma2 minus the missions.

I wonder why they were called nodes in the first place. =D
Psyrgery
speed freak

Post by Psyrgery »

Will there be some kind of surprise when they reach 9500 or 10000??? :D
Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Psyrgery wrote:Will there be some kind of surprise when they reach 9500 or 10000??? :D

Add a dot and a "v"

v1.0000

8D

Spoiler:

What if the numbers have a meaning, what if they're little features they're implementing and scratching off a loooong list of things the game must have!

Psyrgery
speed freak

Post by Psyrgery »

FatCat wrote:
Psyrgery wrote:Will there be some kind of surprise when they reach 9500 or 10000??? :D

Add a dot and a "v"

v1.0000

8D

Spoiler:

What if the numbers have a meaning, what if they're little features they're implementing and scratching off a loooong list of things the game must have!

Well, now that you mention it, I considered that possibility as I was typing the message, so yeah :D

Furthermore, they confirmed they reached the Alpha stage, what it Alpha was 8000 or 8500, Beta is 9500 and the final build is 10000?

Lots of speculation for everybody!
Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

!!!

Check who’s online