Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Stream Q&A collection

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
haaz
pedestrian

Stream Q&A collection

Post by haaz »

I am not on the right time zone to assist these sessions, so could someone ask on the next stream if the peds "hidden in the wall" on the Magnuchem maps are going to stay in the final release or be moved in a place that can be reached normally? I know we can get them with PU, but it removes half the fun of running them over :P
ender
driver

Stream Q&A collection

Post by ender »

haaz wrote:I am not on the right time zone to assist these sessions, so could someone ask on the next stream if the peds "hidden in the wall" on the Magnuchem maps are going to stay in the final release or be moved in a place that can be reached normally?
This was asked on one of the earlier streams, and it's a bug that should be fixed in the final release.
Because 10 billion years' time is so fragile, so ephemeral...
it arouses such a bittersweet, almost heartbreaking fondness.
haaz
pedestrian

Stream Q&A collection

Post by haaz »

I should have read more carefully ^^ Thanks!
YautjaLord
speed freak

Stream Q&A collection

Post by YautjaLord »

See ya all @ Twitch. I have few real fuckin burnin' questions to ask. :) Unless there's no Twitch today. Cheers, fuck yeah.
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Stream Q&A collection

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Since todays Twitch has been postponed (to next week). I'll add my question from last week that I was going to ask the guys again.

- In the final release, will players be able to set Opponent APO in Freeplay to match the APO of the players car, as opposed to it being set to the maximum level that is unlocked?
Just another '80s Dreamer....
Twitter Manifestation. - Mods for Max Damage.
Please do not use my old/deadname.
Dr0kks
pedestrian

Stream Q&A collection

Post by Dr0kks »

I know this maybe been asked before. Will there be on last update before the final push?
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Stream Q&A collection

Post by Mad_Maxine »

But still can anybody give any idea on how carmodgeddon is going to work? I still cant picture what anybody means,

I at the moment see it as some kind of data extractor kinda thing, like.. a mod loader.
Bonus for artistic impression
hit n run

Stream Q&A collection

Post by Bonus for artistic impression »

Epitaph wrote:... 2-wheeled Tech...
.. Meaning RWD .. ?
Trent
mindless

Stream Q&A collection

Post by Trent »

Bonus for artistic impression wrote:
Epitaph wrote:... 2-wheeled Tech...

.. Meaning RWD .. ?

As explained 2 pages ago, 2-wheeled tech means 2 wheels, as in bikes, possibly as in segways.
a.k.a. Brent
ender
driver

Stream Q&A collection

Post by ender »

Peds on segway, that'd be something!
Because 10 billion years' time is so fragile, so ephemeral...
it arouses such a bittersweet, almost heartbreaking fondness.
Trent
mindless

Stream Q&A collection

Post by Trent »

Just a bump of the modding questions, also a couple more to be added:

Level UI Assets - Will the UI assets for levels be moved to the level's folder? Having the car's UI assets in the car's folder has been a lot easier to work with so being able to have level's map images, loading images, race preview images, etc. in the level's folder would be very useful.
Scrolling Textures On Cars - There are two CDamageParameter functions in Structure.xml, Add_PostIK_NamedScrollMaterialInV and Add_PostIK_NamedScrollMaterialInU, which look like they should be used to scroll textures based on animation controllers like "WHEEL_SPEED_OVER_TIME", "STEERING", "ENGINE_RPM", etc. but I can not seem to get it to work, despite having what looks like the correct parameters (String/Controller, Scalar/Amount, String/Material). Does it actually work yet or is it a place holder for future development?

Trent wrote:Someone asked about custom gamemodes in CarMODgeddon during the stream and Nobby said to ask about it here, so I figured I would just post a load of CarMODgeddon questions/feature requests:

Custom Game Modes - Will custom game modes be supported?
Uncompiled Scripts - Will the uncompiled scripts be released with CarMODgeddon as Nobby original suggested when asked ages ago?
Custom Engine Sonuds - Will the game support custom FMOD .FEV files to be loaded for custom engine sounds, or even plain audio files to be used for engine sounds if custom .FEV files aren't an option?
Custom Shader DB files - As the shaders are all compiled into a single Shader_DB.DB file now, will there be support for custom Shader DB's to be loaded rather than having to edit the main one and potentially screw up the main game?
Shader Header Files - Are there any plans for releasing the shader header files to ease the creation of custom shaders? Or a tool for compiling shader bytecode from the material scripts, e.g. have all the relevant shader includes and such in an EXE similar to the way the game used to compile the shaders at runtime?
Levels Being Loaded When Not In Career Playlist - Currently levels are only loaded when they are in the Career playlist and need to be unlocked. Will it support files not in the Career playlist and will levels have a setting like cars have to force them to be unlocked automatically?
Custom Career Playlists - Will CarMODgeddon support multiple custom Career Playlists? e.g. so you could choose a Carma1 career, a Carma 2 playlist, Banger Racing playlist, etc.? If yes, what about defining which cars appear as opponents and which are playable in those custom careers?
Custom Text.xml files - Will the game support custom Text.xml files so modders can add names, driver bios and other text to their cars and levels without editing the main Text.xml file?
Car Joint Chains - Currently hinged joints in the cars Structure.xml files are positioned absolutely in car space, they are unaffected by the positions of the parent objects, so it's impossible to have, for example, a digger with an arm which is hinged with a hinged bucket on the end. Are there any plans to support hierarchy of hinges? Such hinge hierarchies are supported in Accessories which is how the Mutant Tail Thing is done, but not in car Structure.xml files.
Mixed ZAD/Unpacked - Currently the game only supports either using content packed in ZAD files or entirely extracted, it would be very handy to allow the game to use partially unpacked data, so you don't have to unpack the many gigs of the game's data but can work on mods without having to pack them up.
Rim/Skins - Currently all the extra Rims & Skins for cars are defined in a single file, it would be very handy to support additional ones without editing that file, so multiple people can make skins and rims for the same car without overriding each other.

I think that's all for now, if I can think of any other suggestions or questions, I'll add some more.

a.k.a. Brent
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Stream Q&A collection

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Trent wrote:
Scrolling Textures On Cars - There are two CDamageParameter functions in Structure.xml, Add_PostIK_NamedScrollMaterialInV and Add_PostIK_NamedScrollMaterialInU, which look like they should be used to scroll textures based on animation controllers like "WHEEL_SPEED_OVER_TIME", "STEERING", "ENGINE_RPM", etc. but I can not seem to get it to work, despite having what looks like the correct parameters (String/Controller, Scalar/Amount, String/Material). Does it actually work yet or is it a place holder for future development?
I originally thought this was used by Electric Blue for the Coils, but on closer inspection it turns out the animation is defined in the Materials MT2 instead.

I wonder if this is/was considered as a possible method of track animation, albeit an old-fashioned way of doing so.
Trent
mindless

Stream Q&A collection

Post by Trent »

'80s Time Warp wrote:I originally thought this was used by Electric Blue for the Coils, but on closer inspection it turns out the animation is defined in the Materials MT2 instead.

I wonder if this is/was considered as a possible method of track animation, albeit an old-fashioned way of doing so.

Yeah it's not used in any existing car. Scrollable materials controlled in the structure.xml was a feature I requested waaaay back and the function was added around update 3 or 4 of the pre-alpha I think so I was pretty pleased to see it while I was mining the EXE for info, though I never actually tried to use it until now. I'm pretty sure I've got the settings correct, using a different number of parameters or using numbers instead strings, etc. throws errors, it also throws an error if the material can not be found in the object so it's atleast doing something. Maybe it has different controller strings than the other animation settings? Or maybe it needs specific MT2 settings?
a.k.a. Brent
Kejnel
speed freak

Stream Q&A collection

Post by Kejnel »

Anyone else finds non-stop screaming of people in the train in Bleak City annoying? I hope there will be a mod that will disable it. It sucks to listen to it all the time you play in Bleak City. It gets old and annoying pretty soon.
If you want to report bugs or want to ask for features DO NOT USE FORUM FOR THAT! Instead send it to developers HERE: https://carmageddon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
LordToastALot
speed freak

Stream Q&A collection

Post by LordToastALot »

No, I like the trapped peds screaming. It's a nice touch.
Bet that hurt!
Kejnel
speed freak

Stream Q&A collection

Post by Kejnel »

LordToastALot wrote:No, I like the trapped peds screaming. It's a nice touch.
Even after hearing it non-stop (it is the same sample again and again) for, let's say, 45 minutes, 2 hours...?
If you want to report bugs or want to ask for features DO NOT USE FORUM FOR THAT! Instead send it to developers HERE: https://carmageddon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Sa1cor
turbo bastard

Stream Q&A collection

Post by Sa1cor »

I would actually prefer more screaming in other maps as well. It's is what makes the city somewhat more alive and immersive to me.
Kejnel
speed freak

Stream Q&A collection

Post by Kejnel »

Sa1cor wrote:I would actually prefer more screaming in other maps as well. It's is what makes the city somewhat more alive and immersive to me.
Screaming peds running in panic in front of your car - YES.

Ambient screaming in a short, repeating loop - please, no.
Sa1cor
turbo bastard

Stream Q&A collection

Post by Sa1cor »

Screaming peds running in panic in front of your car - YES.

Ambient screaming in a short, repeating loop - please, no.

At first that was my opinion as well. But when you kill most of the peds it starts getting a bit lonely.
Trent
mindless

Stream Q&A collection

Post by Trent »

Reminder for Nobby about the mod questions and another one :)

Sound Event Scripts - Currently it seems only specific LOL scripts from the audio folder, will it be possible to have an optional sound script for each car? If we want to add a reversing sound like Plow has or custom horn sounds we currently need to edit the sounds_vehicles.lol script to add new sound events, which obviously is not good if multiple mod makers want to add their own sound events to cars.

Trent wrote:Level UI Assets - Will the UI assets for levels be moved to the level's folder? Having the car's UI assets in the car's folder has been a lot easier to work with so being able to have level's map images, loading images, race preview images, etc. in the level's folder would be very useful.
Custom Game Modes - Will custom game modes be supported?
Uncompiled Scripts - Will the uncompiled scripts be released with CarMODgeddon as Nobby original suggested when asked ages ago?
Custom Engine Sonuds - Will the game support custom FMOD .FEV files to be loaded for custom engine sounds, or even plain audio files to be used for engine sounds if custom .FEV files aren't an option?
Custom Shader DB files - As the shaders are all compiled into a single Shader_DB.DB file now, will there be support for custom Shader DB's to be loaded rather than having to edit the main one and potentially screw up the main game?
Shader Header Files - Are there any plans for releasing the shader header files to ease the creation of custom shaders? Or a tool for compiling shader bytecode from the material scripts, e.g. have all the relevant shader includes and such in an EXE similar to the way the game used to compile the shaders at runtime?
Levels Being Loaded When Not In Career Playlist - Currently levels are only loaded when they are in the Career playlist and need to be unlocked. Will it support files not in the Career playlist and will levels have a setting like cars have to force them to be unlocked automatically?
Custom Career Playlists - Will CarMODgeddon support multiple custom Career Playlists? e.g. so you could choose a Carma1 career, a Carma 2 playlist, Banger Racing playlist, etc.? If yes, what about defining which cars appear as opponents and which are playable in those custom careers?
Custom Text.xml files - Will the game support custom Text.xml files so modders can add names, driver bios and other text to their cars and levels without editing the main Text.xml file?
Car Joint Chains - Currently hinged joints in the cars Structure.xml files are positioned absolutely in car space, they are unaffected by the positions of the parent objects, so it's impossible to have, for example, a digger with an arm which is hinged with a hinged bucket on the end. Are there any plans to support hierarchy of hinges? Such hinge hierarchies are supported in Accessories which is how the Mutant Tail Thing is done, but not in car Structure.xml files.
Mixed ZAD/Unpacked - Currently the game only supports either using content packed in ZAD files or entirely extracted, it would be very handy to allow the game to use partially unpacked data, so you don't have to unpack the many gigs of the game's data but can work on mods without having to pack them up.
Rim/Skins - Currently all the extra Rims & Skins for cars are defined in a single file, it would be very handy to support additional ones without editing that file, so multiple people can make skins and rims for the same car without overriding each other.
a.k.a. Brent
TwIsTeDMiNd
speed freak

Stream Q&A collection

Post by TwIsTeDMiNd »

I've not been able to attend the twitch stream. nobby, if you read this, I would like to know what happened to shitting cows...I would like seeing brown skidmarks too. Do we'll be able to hear pups explode sound that match the new explosion effect? Which looks nice btw. I also like the new electrobastard ray effect surrounding peds, but I think seeing them turning black with some smoke coming off of their head and turning off animation to see them become solid so they fall to the ground like if they were just one big piece of cooked meat would be extremely funny and I think would not be hard to implement...but everyone can dream right? Do we'll be able to move cars in wreck gallery? Lastly, grass...is it coming in a future update?!

A couple of ideas for the next game or a big snow DLC package that would include C1 snow map as well as new mp modes inspired by features described below:

- A powerup that put peds inside ice blocks, so we can slide them around like disks on air hockey table and broke the blocks (and peds) against a wall...and splusssh, blood all over floor and walls! *hints hints* idea for a mp mode*

Sidenote...an idea for a multiplayer mode: spawning powerups in ice blocks for one minute. During this time, everyone is fighting to drag these powerups around trying to squeeze all them in a corner. Hitting them hard enough would make them break, but all their ice would break anyway after a given time (these pups would be very useful...like opponent repulsificator, etc). Then everyone would use them until it's timeout and the next powerup chase start. Of course, this would occur in a hockey arena or something. Turning opponents into snowballs down a skying slope is an interesting idea too. What about skying and skating peds?

- Another anvil launcher but which launches chain shots instead of cannonballs.

- A powerup that put...peds on breakable stilts walking around. Kind of a funny and detrimental pup at the same as it would be harder to reach and kill peds...more challenging if you get such a powerup especially when running out of time.

- Peds freeze ray which turns peds frozen/icy and then we can broke the ice when running them over. Breaking frozen icy cars would be nice too but hard too implement I think when they would turn back to their normal states.

- Object repulsificator should throw mines away...would be useful when you can't get to that powerup because mines surrounding it are too close from each other.

I think that's all for now. Thanks for listening!
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Stream Q&A collection

Post by '80s Time Warp »

I will also add in a reminder of a question I asked in the prior stream.

- In the final release, will players be able to set Opponent APO in Freeplay to match the APO of the players car, as opposed to it being set to the maximum level that is unlocked?

This would make balancing Custom Cars against default cars considerably easier.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Stream Q&A collection

Post by CzechDeath »

the object repulsificator works agains the mines which are hanging in the air without chain... would be cool tho if it would work on all mines, or atleast if we were able to take out mines by launching our mines on them.. it does noting... sometimes not even the explosion
Fr0ntj3
speed freak

Stream Q&A collection

Post by Fr0ntj3 »

Can't wait to see the Hellhound DLC pack :)
Espyo
road raged psycho

Stream Q&A collection

Post by Espyo »

Added Q&A for April 22nd's stream. Sorry if I missed something from the first half-hour, I was a bit distracted...

Anyway, today's Question for Nobby to Remember to Ask Later™: Is the football team sign logo based off of Sonic the Hedgehog 2?
I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a Pikmin fan engine.
YautjaLord
speed freak

Stream Q&A collection

Post by YautjaLord »

All i need to know to be happy camper is will the King Merc, Project X & Suppressor make it in @ May 21st & will the AI-do-excessive-damage-to-player-controlled-car-in-Beta be the part of the past or is it intentional? More than happy with the rest the game got, fuck yeah.
TwIsTeDMiNd
speed freak

Stream Q&A collection

Post by TwIsTeDMiNd »

Epitaph wrote:
YautjaLord wrote:
Epitaph wrote:Some great news in the last stream!

- Batwick is working on Tracked Vehicle tech

- He's also continuing the work on car splitting.

- Finally he's also working on 6-wheeled ad 2-wheeled Tech. This is PURE FUCKING AWESOME news! I didn't know 2-wheeled vehicles were planned!

Now these are some awesome fuckin' news, hope that tech will be in when 23 April comes-a-knockin'. Two wheeled vehicle - halfed Spack Chariot?

Nope, sorry Yautja, none of those will be on Gold Release. Team is mostly conncentrating in Crushing Bugs and improving performance. :D

11 days left! OMG

How could it be more clear than this? Nope Yautja, King Merc, Project X & Suppressor will not make their way in for final release. nobby said it over and over again. These will come later. Sorry to disappoint you :|
YautjaLord
speed freak

Stream Q&A collection

Post by YautjaLord »

TwIsTeDMiNd wrote:How could it be more clear than this? Nope Yautja, King Merc, Project X & Suppressor will not make their way in for final release. nobby said it over and over again. These will come later. Sorry to disappoint you :|
I'll have to sit through the entire stream again - i haven't heard neither nobster or Shane sayin' this or maybe my hearing betrays me (highly fuckin' unlikely :)) And for fuck's sake - i asked this question when they said April 23rd is the Final Release date. lol
TwIsTeDMiNd
speed freak

Stream Q&A collection

Post by TwIsTeDMiNd »

no problem Buddy, keep headbangin' ;)
shane
Stainless

Stream Q&A collection

Post by shane »

Hey guys. For those that watched our Twitch on Wednesday you'll know we had hoped to get a new update out to you today. Unfortunately we've had two issues that have forced us to delay this update. One of these has already been fixed but didn't make it into the build for testing and the other involved Steam Cloud saving and would have caused players to lose their save data.

Once again, apologies for the delay - we hope to be able to update you further on the situation early next week.
Ex-Carmageddon Community Manager - Carmageddon.com
Doctor Fraggington
turbo bastard

Stream Q&A collection

Post by Doctor Fraggington »

Take your time.
TwIsTeDMiNd
speed freak

Stream Q&A collection

Post by TwIsTeDMiNd »

...but not too much.
ComSR
mechanic

Stream Q&A collection

Post by ComSR »

shane wrote:Hey guys. For those that watched our Twitch on Wednesday you'll know we had hoped to get a new update out to you today. Unfortunately we've had two issues that have forced us to delay this update
Yeah, the collision bug that happened during the stream was nasty. He flew through the rotating bridge and pickups stopped working and peds couldn't be hit.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Stream Q&A collection

Post by CzechDeath »

twich tomorrow yes O_O? =D
Epitaph
motorised death

Stream Q&A collection

Post by Epitaph »

WHO CARES ABOUT TEH TWITCH

WE'LL HAVE A NEW UPDATE SOOON

http://www.carmageddon.com/news/final-update

P.S. Was kidding. of COURSE we ALSO care about the TWITCH!!!

Check who’s online