Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Straight C2 to C1 converting

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Re: Straight C2 to C1 converting

Post by WadeSullivan »

OK thank you QTZ, i just came into that problem too :tongue:
the "Insufficient material slots in storage area", i need to reduce the images or edit the .MAT and remove from the code some no usable pix?

And one time the TXT car file is corrupted...

Oh i want to put the default hood from eagle 2, that is more clean and stable, i think that will be easier to finish the car.

https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/images/0 ... inal/1.jpg
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Wade, if the game moans about materials, then it's the MAT file(s) that hold too many entries. But chances are that you'll have to reduce pixies too after that. Using a hood that uses less materials/pixelmaps is a good idea yeah.

QTZ, I had a look at the Swamp Rat and don't see anything wrong with its wheels? However you said it only happens sometimes..? Very strange if that is the case. But it might happen if the game loads it as an opponent and swap its wheel model with another car that shares the same model identifier (usually another addon car with non-renamed model identifiers).
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

I will take a break, i removed all the pix that didnt used from the .MAT and now appears "Insufficient model slots in storage area" :crazy:

Why sometimes appear "car.txt is corrupted"? I did alot of tries in 4 cars (Farmer Fright-The Harvester), (Russ-TDegory´Un 2), (Slim Chance-Cow Poker) none worked yet :sad:

RODHELL car worked but the car is "jumping" because in the original .TXT folder the wheels position is all 0,0,0 XD wtf

At least 1 car that i made is working, The Bimmer from C2, how do i load the deafult "hood" to finish the car?

With Toshs help :banana:

Semi-MK2 (working)
https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/imagens/flitmp-bmp

Forking ADA (working)
https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/imagens/flitmp2-bmp

The Bimmer (working)
https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/imagens/flitmp3-bmp
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

@Wade, when you have stuff not working like these corrupted txt files, just zip it up and share it here. This way we can report on what is the issue precisely :swink:
Not sure I understand correctly what you're trying to achieve, but for the default hood just make the txt file load the resources (PIX MAT DAT ACT) of the Eagle's bonnet? EAGLBNT.PIX EABGLBNT.MAT SILVER.MAT EBONNET.DAT EBONNET.ACT. Though if you're ok with it being untextured you can skip the MAT and PIX, that'll make more room for the C2 car's mat and pixies.

BTW usualy when it says that TXT file is corrupted it's because you forgot to change the very first line (the filename).
"Insufficient model slots in storage area" shouldn't happen with a car AFAIK. Again sharing the files that generate this error would help me help you.

For Rodhell's wheel position, just load the C2 car in Plaything2 as I did toward the end of my video, and do the same I do (enlarge the column with the components on the left to let it show XYZ coordinates entirely, double click on a front wheel to make PT2 center on it, then zoom on it to get better coordinates while placing the mouse in its center. you do that for both front and back wheels to get Y and Z values, you can grab X values from top view.)
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

Ok Tosh ty.

In the file are the 4 cars, all of them are already in C1 mode (bmp files, .PIX, .TXT, Rodhell have only the wheel problem yet =/)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6bugy5783 ... 20Cars.rar
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Ok I finally had a look at your files.
First, the supplied .mat files for combine, 37ford and fatline didn't have the .pix added so that was annoying.
Then I noticed that for some reason you based on (or tried to load?) other addon cars resources. Combine tries to load Coupe de Grace simple/bonnet models, Delorean seems based on Bigdump, 37ford on Bourak.
Don't do that and only base the txt file on a stock C1 car. For example I hadn't Bourak installed so it failed to find the files. Also you stripped the simple/bonnet models (DAT) from Combine and Delorean while trying to load other addons' ACT files, that makes the game crash as it can't find the models needed by the ACT files.
Actually you seem to have mixed stuff from several cars..?

Fatlane can't be brought in C1 like that at all, it has way too many materials (60) AND MODELS (30) (that's news to me).

Delorean has too many materials too (50), removing 10 materials seem difficult without working on the model properly in 3dsMax. Also you had based it on Bigdump somehow but you replaced the wheel grooves without changing the groovyfunkrefs just above, that made the game crash too.

Just replacing the Bourak stuff made the 37ford work ingame, didn't notice a problem with the wheels, just missing textures.

Combine, I just replaced Coupe's resources and added back the missing DAT files to make it work. Missing textures too.

So yeah, as you can see not all C2 cars are easily portable to C1. You must first make sure that the C2 car has no more than 40 materials in its .mat file, or else you'll have to remove some and it'll look bad ingame. Then apparently the car shouldn't have too many models either, must be pretty rare honestly.

Anyway, I think I'm now set to do the C2-to-C1 video again, but I'll make use of PT2 this time.
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

I get Tosh, today i tried to make Combine and worked after i fix some thing and you are right Combine have 23 for the .MAT files. So in that case i will wait the tutorial to try the "harder cars" to make on C1.

Combine only fail in the "cutter" physical (works some times and other dont), but i guess that can be only fixed in the PT2, so again i will wait the tutorial ^^

https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/images/0 ... ombine.jpg
https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/images/0 ... mbine2.jpg
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

The Harvester and HellRod are ready. ^^
having some problem with other like the front wheels going do left or right out of the car. (after i put the Y and Z numbers from Pt2)

oh well i will wait the full tutorial this time before make more convertions :lol:

QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

@Toshiba-3 Thank you for checking Swamp Rat. I don't remember details, except that effect is the same. I think you may be right, this may happened due to name conflict with some other car wheels. I will try to search for same names in other files, including some custom cars.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Just posting the videos again:

Whole process: (should be remade)
Additional step (merging the main model):
Making a bonnet out of the main model:
LinksofSphynx
mechanic

Post by LinksofSphynx »

I have a quick question on this topic. The poly count for a lot of Carma 2 vehicles is inconsistent. ADR's '53 Hudson Hornet has significantly more detail than his 71' Barracuda, for instance. Some of this detail doesn't translate well to Carma 1. Is there a convenient method for redoing a car's polys, or is it a very tedious triangle-by-triangle process?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Sadly no, there is no convenient way to simplify a model's overal topology.

While Carma1 doesn't really care about onscreen polycount (in software mode at least), I understand such geometry density often translates into visual noise when rendered in lower res + paletted textures. Depends on the model really.

BTW in my experience, investing a lot of time on someone else's model can become frustrating. So now the first thing I do is checking how the textures downgrade to the carma palette. If the result is poor, I go no further...

Check who’s online