Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Tweaking YON so the games dont crash

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
JimmyBlack
pedestrian

Tweaking YON so the games dont crash

Post by JimmyBlack »

I want to play Carmageddon 1/2 with YON 200, but the games crash or freeze randomly as expected.
I was told that I need to edit tracks in order to resolve it, but the fella who told me that couldnt be reached so... Please, explain in detail which steps should I take, coz it's too much info in those TXT files and it's totally unclear what I'm supposed to change. Thanks in advance!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: Tweaking YON so the games dont crash

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hello there;

The game freezing is indeed caused by high YON as the AI can't cheat/teleport/respawn opponents easily enough: it always tries to do it out of the player's sight, but if the YON is too high all spawning nodes might be in sight at times and then the game will freeze.

The idea is to add extra nodes even further from the level geometry and out of YON ofcourse.

This is the original topic detailing the process: viewtopic.php?p=91470#p91470
This imply that if you want to play with YON set to 200, you'll have to add these nodes and paths to them for every race (in their respective txt file)

Personaly I find YON 200 to be too high, it screws the AI too much. I used to stick with 75 and now simply with the default 35 :ssmile:
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
JimmyBlack
pedestrian

Post by JimmyBlack »

Hey, thanks! I appreciate your reply greatly, but I still don't get it. No matter what I do, a high YON kinda ruins the game? AI wont function properly, or what? I just want to increase draw distance without affecting AI or map properties, that's all. But I figure it's impossible, right?
And where I'm supposed to put all that text?

Also, what about the original game, not the sequel? Any tweaks for that one you know?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Ruining the game might be exaggerated but it does have bad consequences on the AI and overal performance of the game (esp. if played with mods). As the AI beheaviour is directly tied to the YON, there's sadly no way to modify the YON without affecting the AI. However you can increase the YON in a reasonable fashion to lessen the impact on AI. I mentionned 75 as a potential ok value in my previous post, though it's just my take on it and I understand it might not be what you're after. Also the same value will affect AI differently depending on the map you're playing etc.

Really you can just test different values until your game doesn't crash anymore, then you'll also see how challenging/unchallenging the AI might have become.

About the code I linked to, it must be added to each race's txt file, which is packed in twt files usually. Also you can't just copy/paste the same chunk of code to all races as it must be adapted etc. So it's a bit difficult :/
If you want to give it a look you can download the vanilla C2 mini-pack, all TWT files are unpacked in this version.

C1 beheaves exactly like C2 when it comes to YON/AI. You can check this video that illustrates the crazy AI beheaviour by the way:
And a short twitter thread about the YON/AI correlation:
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction

Check who’s online