Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

is there an alternative to cared that's free???

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Spectre2011
hit n run

is there an alternative to cared that's free???

Post by Spectre2011 »

I've finally had it with cared, there is too much little bugs that actually trip
me up to the point of a corrupt model.

Anyway I've mentioned trying to convert from blender but it never works.
I tried every tool.

Should I just save up for a thing like 3ds max? its like they have
the file associations monopolized, I tried other stuff thats
free but I keep running into conversion shit where the model is gone to hell..
Help?
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: is there an alternative to cared that's free???

Post by coffeycup »

Well, all the methods are kinda buggy for converting. I think Tosh has a free early version of 3DSMax. I used SketchUp to create models, but there's quite a few steps to converting. That's why a lot of people just stuck to CarEd as it seemed the most straight forward...all-in-one app.
Pip the pest
turbo bastard

Post by Pip the pest »

I use Zmodeler 2 basically because it does not overload the brain cells too much, But importing the model to C2 at first sounds daunting :supercrazy: but you get used to it after a while. This is what I usually have to do, make the model in zmod2 export model in z3d format to zmod1 ( if you do not do that model explodes all over the place) then export to 3ds ( Coffey already mentioned Tosh has a version available) in 3ds this is where I usually size and positon the model, then final step is to export to plaything using ASCexport. Open up in plaything tidy everything up and Voila!
Okay it is a bit long winded but it works for me. :smile:
timmy76
motorised death

Post by timmy76 »

You can get the latest version of 3Dsmax if you register as a student apparently.

I've used a combination of 3Dsmax 10, max 3.1 and CarEd for getting a car ingame.
Exported the model as 3ds file, convert it with BeMax to convert it to a DAT file.
Import it into CarEd, save it and used 3Dsmax 3.1 to import the CarEd OBJ and scale the car the correct size.
From there you just texture the model and component group it all, also I did have to detach the model into sections in 3Dsmax 10 before exporting.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Seems counter-intuitive to go from 3DS Max to CarEd but it goes to show there's as many different ways of doing it as there are model makers. :smile:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Honestly I'd just go for an illegal copy of Max... You'll just use it for your own fun anyway. That piece of software just costs way too much.

MAX R2 and 3.1 hosted at RR2000 are respectively for C2 and TDR with all their plugins etc. They can be difficult to get working on modern systems and also lack a ton of features in comparison to recent Max versions.

So yes, something like 3dsMax 2012~2015 + Harm's script and you're all set :)
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction

Check who’s online