Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Lost again ...

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Morbid Angel
speed freak

Lost again ...

Post by Morbid Angel »

Hi everyone !

Well ... I searched the forum but didn't find anything special about it.
I'm trying to create new cars (and release some old unreleased thing).
But I forgot everything.
I'm trying to use Harm's 3DS Max scripts ... Is there some tutorial somewhere ?
It's a bit frustrating because all I got from C2 is error, error, error (without any explanation because I'm using CAMA_HW.exe)
Even in 3DS I've got errors.
I think there is too much thing to learn (again) to create a car and I don't know where to begin.
Do you, guys, use 3DS to create cars and tracks ?

Thanks for your help, I hope I'll be able to deliver some new models for the C2 community soon
:grin:

See ya
M#A
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Re: Lost again ...

Post by Deep_Blue »

CarEd, CarEd, CarEd. Not fancy, but still the easiest thing in the world to make C1/C2 stuff with.
:wink:
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

We all use different methods/apps for getting stuff into the games.
I like to use SketchUp, though I'm in the minority. You can import a .3DS file that you've already begun in 3DSMax.
I like it because it's easy to use, you can texture your models without having to break the model up into different pieces just to project a texture on to it.
Morbid Angel
speed freak

Post by Morbid Angel »

Thanks for your help, guys

I've reintalled Cared, to begin.
Old reflexes came again quickly
I'm still having errrors, but i feel them less "errorish" than the earlier ones.
:lol:
I'll continue further and let you know :wink:
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

I am a big 3dsmax fan. I have been using it for all my carmageddon creations. Before we had the tool ASE2ASC. With it we could convert the ASE files we exported from 3dsmax to ASC format that Plaything 2 could import. The process was slow however, especially if you made minor changes. Another downside was the fact we could not do powerups for tracks this way.

After a while of experimenting with maxscript I was able to write the exporter some of us are now using. You said you tried it. I basically does all the stuff you need. I still do regular checks by opening up the exported models in pt2, just to make sure it all went right. You can do the same. If if runs in pt2, chances are it should work ingame, provided you did all the txt work correctly that is. ;)

There is no tutorial unfortunately. You could import an original car using the importer and learn the way these cars are setup. Also good for scale references. :)

The other methods, like Coffeycup using sketchup and many others using Cared, are just as viable as any other. It is just a matter of preference.
Morbid Angel
speed freak

Post by Morbid Angel »

Yes I tried your scripts and they are excellent !!
For the moment, I'm still lost with the car configuration in the txt file.

I reinstalled Cared and i've been able to put some ols unreleased. cars in C2.
They're working.
I 'm creating a brand new one, it works too even if it's not finished.

I use your script to import my models in 3dsMax and reskin them, for the moment.
I think I'll use total 3DS creation when I improve my TXT file knowledge and understanding.

Thanks for the answers, guys and thanks for the awesome scripts, Harm !
I'll release new cars soon (for the moment, I'm still having trouble with BBOX generation)

see ya !
M#A

Check who’s online