Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

1964 Chevy Pickup for Carmageddon 2

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
AdR
pimp

1964 Chevy Pickup for Carmageddon 2

Post by AdR »

Time to make it official, here it is:
purelease.jpg
purelease.jpg (202.49 KiB) Viewed 10331 times
UPDATE 01/19/15

Download here:

https://a3dr.cwaboard.co.uk

It started as a C1 project but ended up in C2. Don't expect a full detailed model, just simple stuff here, enough to make it work and have some crashing fun.

The cool stuff:
I did spent some time tuning the physics so it should be a decent ride, tuned for the normal gravity.
Windows and lights breaks
"Flappable" front fenders, looks cool when smashed and they're useful to run over peds with them.

The bad stuff:
No SHELL or LOD model, didn't bother with that.
Also no interface images, can't make CarEd work and I won't bother with it.

It has some strange bugs, might crash the game when splitting, and for some odd reason, when you close the doors they don't go back in their place (instead of using "enter" use "backspace" to close them).

Props:
Thanks to Harmalarm for his 3dsmax scripts (a BIG thanks, otherwise I wouldn't dare to touch C2 again) and Tosh for all the help and useful tutorials written on this forum.

I've included the .max file (max 2012 and up) if anyone wants to mess with it. Do whatever you want as long as I get credit for my work.
Includes driver model, feel free to use it for any of your carma projects

Enough, hope you like it :twisted:
Last edited by Razor on Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Fixed dead link
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Re: 1964 Chevy Pickup for Carmageddon 2

Post by Razor »

Damn, AdR! Back on form, shame about the missing bits though I have sent you a PM with menuimages if you want to re-upload with those included ;)
This is a very nice Pickup to drive.
2015-01-18_00004.jpg
2015-01-18_00004.jpg (200.17 KiB) Viewed 10322 times
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
AdR
pimp

Post by AdR »

Thanks Razor, just updated the zip file including the interface images :beer:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hey there AdR, definitely a great model, physics are good too. It sure crashes and crumbles nicely. :scool:
Here's a few things:
Is it normal that all materials kept the default Max diffuse colors? It makes the whole thing a bit darker, seems like a mishap.
The doors don't shut correctly because they don't have their pivot at the same place as the MAIN component.
I know most people are unfamiliar with the SHELL model, but a basic SHELL model takes 10 seconds to do: you remove the groovy components (in this case, only the wheels), flatten everything into a single component named SHELL, maybe weld some vertices if you want, export from Max as carnameSHELL and you just keep the DAT file. More infos here.
The simple model (lod), I know it's annoying to make but it doesn't take more than 15 minutes and it's less annoying to you than it is to players when the car pops up out of nowhere ingame.
Finally, a driver is always welcome. I know there was an era when most addon cars had no drivers but nowadays it is very rare. Again it doesn't take long at all, just import one from one of your older addons or use Coffeycup's Earl. Earl loves to drive a lot of different rides.

If you want to update your zip again, I added to this post a simple model, a shell, act and dat with fixed main pivot, a mat with white diffuse colors and the tiff for the lod file. :swheel:
Attachments
64PU.zip
(143.88 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
AdR
pimp

Post by AdR »

Thanks for the detailed input Tosh, first off, can you send a screenshot to see how it looks in your game? I'm running it with nglide and seems the gamma is a bit brighter than it should.

All materials on max are default, didn't pay much attention to that (thought it wouldn't matter). I'll try the white ones to see how it looks.

I've tried to make the SHELL, but here's the thing... even at 998 triangles, it kept saying there was too many polygons on that... what's the limit then?

LOD, yeah, I know... I'll check out yours :cool:

So to fix the doors all I have to do is place the pivot in the same place as the main actor, right? that's an easy fix. More 3dsmax stuff to keep in mind.

Driver, sure, got a couple of ideas. Let me polish them and I'll update it :techsupport:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

nGlide default gamma is indeed too bright for Carmageddon 1/2. I always lower it a bit (to 0.8).
The Carmatools bring the diffuse colors into the .mat file and these influence the shading. Can be useful to create effects etc.
About the SHELL, it must be because it was exported into the same C2 scene as the complex model? Must be the sole object in a separate DAT file. The game normally doesn't care about the polycount of the SHELL and groovy models by the way.
And yup, just have to move the pivot. Actually in C2, all objects but animated ones must have their pivot in the same place: the origin. Groovy elements like wheels etc. should rather have their pivot in their center or placed at the origin of their animation. (just for the record, C1 wants everything to have their pivot at their center)

Seems like a lot to keep in mind, but thanks to Harm's maxscripts it goes very fast now and it's easier to check all these details.
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

In addition, you could consider the shell model as an extra optimizing opportunity as well (though a bit limited in that); since the shell model completely replaces the vehicle itself (excluding all grooves) for as long as the vehicle hasn't received any damage, or the doors haven't been opened, you could delete any geometry that cannot be seen while the shell model is in place.

For example, when I added your cars into my installation of C2, AdR, I used to delete your complex engine models from the shell models. One downside of doing that was: if you somehow managed to flip the car while it was still in mint condition and could see the underside, the engine was missing. :-)
AdR
pimp

Post by AdR »

Toshiba-3 wrote: nGlide default gamma is indeed too bright for Carmageddon 1/2. I always lower it a bit (to 0.8).
The Carmatools bring the diffuse colors into the .mat file and these influence the shading. Can be useful to create effects etc.
About the SHELL, it must be because it was exported into the same C2 scene as the complex model? Must be the sole object in a separate DAT file. The game normally doesn't care about the polycount of the SHELL and groovy models by the way.
And yup, just have to move the pivot. Actually in C2, all objects but animated ones must have their pivot in the same place: the origin. Groovy elements like wheels etc. should rather have their pivot in their center or placed at the origin of their animation. (just for the record, C1 wants everything to have their pivot at their center)

Seems like a lot to keep in mind, but thanks to Harm's maxscripts it goes very fast now and it's easier to check all these details.
- Fixed the thing with the colors, so that's ok now.
- Fixed the pivots, now it's all on the 0,0,0 except the wheels, doors work OK.

- About the damn SHELL: Yours work, but I need to know how you did it. I know how it works from your tut, but I'm having a problem exporting it. Tried from a new scene, but still the same "holy polygons" problem. What's the trick? All I did was exporting a "solid" model with everything put together except the wheels.

- Driver, having some issues here. As you can see, the model is very simple (most of you here will know were this came from):
driver.jpg
driver.jpg (164.27 KiB) Viewed 10268 times
The issues:
carma2_hw 2015-01-19 03-41-53-83.jpg
carma2_hw 2015-01-19 03-41-53-83.jpg (138.73 KiB) Viewed 10268 times
There are missing polygons and welded vertices, already tried all the basics (made sure there aren't duplicate vertices, all triangles, no duplicate edges, simple smoothing groups).
Any ideas on that?
C2_Scientist wrote:In addition, you could consider the shell model as an extra optimizing opportunity as well (though a bit limited in that); since the shell model completely replaces the vehicle itself (excluding all grooves) for as long as the vehicle hasn't received any damage, or the doors haven't been opened, you could delete any geometry that cannot be seen while the shell model is in place.

For example, when I added your cars into my installation of C2, AdR, I used to delete your complex engine models from the shell models. One downside of doing that was: if you somehow managed to flip the car while it was still in mint condition and could see the underside, the engine was missing. :-)
Indeed it is for optimizing, the problem here is the "holy polygons" message I get. :techsupport:

Don't remind me of my old cars, they were nice 3D models but a zero on physics and optimization! :poo:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

That shell problem is really weird! Could you maybe upload the exported DAT/ACT?
Actually to go faster, I made the SHELL in PT2 :syikes: I removed the wheels and pivots, flattened and optimized then saved to 64PUSHELL.DAT etc. But yeah, I usually do it from MAX. I prepare the SHELL and simple model in the same Max scene, then export separately.

About the driver. This is even weirder :sgn: but I've had similar issues in the past. It was always related to UVW mapping vertices. Could you maybe try to apply a simple planar mapping on the whole driver model (they are just solid diffuse colors, right?) and export again?
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Yes, Tosh is right. 3ds max sometimes has issues with UV vertices. If a model vertex has no mapping, which for some reason can exist in 3ds max, then the vertices will not be exported. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about this at this moment. Try Tosh's solution. That should work.

Can you send me the SHELL file? Perhaps I can see what is wrong with it.

I am currently re-wring a portion of my exporter with the hope to include a direct-optimize integration, so we don't have to do this in pt2 anymore. I will take closer look at these problem vertices while I am at it.
AdR
pimp

Post by AdR »

The driver problem was indeed, the lack of UV mapping. A simple planar one fixed it.

Noticed that the "backface cull" in max is useful to make 2-sided materials. Fixed the door problem when they were smashed (the interior panel could be seen through from outside), and made the detachables two sided.

Here's the SHELL I'm trying to export but only get the "holy polygons" message.
64chevPU_scale_SHELL.rar
(113.26 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

AdR, you must rename the flattened component to SHELL as well (it's still MAIN.ACT here) not just the file :swink:
The game probably tries to replace the MAIN.ACT object from the complex model with this one and as it wants to deform it, it expects it to be within the 1000 tris limit.
AdR
pimp

Post by AdR »

Great! that did it
purelease2.jpg
purelease2.jpg (131.9 KiB) Viewed 10204 times
Updated zip file with the latest adjustements.

- LOD (Tosh)
- SHELL
- Pivots adjusted
- Driver
- License plate and bumper sticker

:rockon:
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Great model ADR. Indeed it crumbles real nicely, especially the front part. Interior is also a great addition! :thumbsup:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Ah! Feels much more lively with a driver, gives it more personality :)
Great that you took the time to grasp the whole process and update the item!
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Normally I would turn up, talk about how nice the truck is, then show a screenshot of a skin I made, tweeking it to my liking but really. Black with red rims is what ive allways wanted in a truck so ya.

Very nice model, very nice damage, and its one of my top trucks too :D my favorite of all time, is still the chevrolet apache.. and I got the front clip, hood, and cab finished before my old pc decide to die, it was going to be a folowup of my 49 chevy truck.. so yeah im kinda sad about that..
Still awsome truck, everythings there, admitedly I havent driven it yet but im gona assume ya atleast made it drive like it should :P Ill be back here soon.
AdR
pimp

Post by AdR »

Thanks guys, glad you like it, hopefully this year I'll find the time to mess around with C2, as now I have the right tools to do it.
Mad_Maxine wrote:Normally I would turn up, talk about how nice the truck is, then show a screenshot of a skin I made, tweeking it to my liking but really. Black with red rims is what ive allways wanted in a truck so ya.

Very nice model, very nice damage, and its one of my top trucks too :D my favorite of all time, is still the chevrolet apache.. and I got the front clip, hood, and cab finished before my old pc decide to die, it was going to be a folowup of my 49 chevy truck.. so yeah im kinda sad about that..
Still awsome truck, everythings there, admitedly I havent driven it yet but im gona assume ya atleast made it drive like it should :P Ill be back here soon.
Thanks Maxine, I was pretty sure you'll like the skin but feel free to do your own too if you like.
This time I've tried to get a good setup on the physics side (not sticktothefloor kind of driving like my previous work), though you might have to do some adjustements to use it with a higher gravity.

Something I'm still not sure of is the scale. I've used as a reference the Hick Pickup, but then I've noticed some differences with other add-ons, like Autopilot's models for example, they are bigger than the rest (some of the coolest models for C2!), so, I'm not sure if making the models bigger is the way to go, or just respect the original game scale?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I like the two-tone skin you had here as well. Reminds me a little of an old '63 Rambler I once owned...
AdR
pimp

Post by AdR »

coffeycup wrote:I like the two-tone skin you had here as well. Reminds me a little of an old '63 Rambler I once owned...
This one?
carma2_hw 2015-01-27 07-21-17-80.jpg
carma2_hw 2015-01-27 07-21-17-80.jpg (138.76 KiB) Viewed 9956 times
Updated the zip, now includes the stock skin. It has a couple of faults, but looks ok. :thumbsup:

Oh, btw, if anyone wants to host this vehicle feel free to do so. I'm just using my own server as a temporary place.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Updated your car gallery there: https://a3dr.cwaboard.co.uk :sbsmile:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Is the tiff for the simple model missing? Mine is untextured.
I do really like the two-tone stock skin, thanks.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Yeah im late, But I love that stock skin yeyah, but I still prefer black, Ya know, heh,

Check who’s online