Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Total conversions I never did.

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Total conversions I never did.

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Hello carmageddon community,
Now dont worry Im still working on my C2 smashfest mod TC, but Ive just taken a little brake, Ive just made a new car for it today tho actully so Im getting back to it. its such a shame that I lost my van one. that was allmost done.. I WILL finish a TC and release it I Must I Will.

but for now I just want to talk about the ideas I allways wanted to do, but dident have enough, time, skill, resorses, or knowlage to make, some of these mods would be simple comsetic changes, while others would tear the game apart and try make something from it.. Just like truck mod did.

the reson most of these mods were never started, or if they were they were never finished is because of my lack of map knowlage, I can make cars, and drones, and drone paths.. ive never made opponent paths but I assume there the same as drone paths? and I can make peds, race types, and im just starting to get used to making sound boxes, and checkpoints and such. but ive never been able to make maps bigger than a parking lot..

so here are the TC mods Ive wanted to make, but never started, OR started and never finished due to issues.

NOTE: Some of these mods are very simler to eachother, another part of the resonit would be pointless to make some of them.

-=Carmageddon 95=-

I love.. nostalga, and it would be totally awsome to make a mod that felt like a game built in the mid to early 90s. when 3d games were first becoming popular.. It may sound stupid to make the graphics worse but if you are anything like me you would love the very 90s feel of it, Theres just something special about making something fit into very limited hardware of the time, it gives everything a special style that really feels like its made to be economical.. not like now where people just throw more pollies at everything to try fix it, especially on some pc games like simulators some of them are horribly unefficent, and use way more power than some games that look twice as good..

Cars would be very simple models, with details defined by textures, and eaither no interiors, or transparent windows with a black driver sprite inside, this may cause flickering issues on windows tho. the brake lights would be just a red 'glow' applied over the other texture rather than the actual changing brake lights.

Objects would be made from small textures, reused textures, etc due to the lack of physics in most early games I would like objects such as the food stalls, signs, tables, cones etc to use some kind of smashable trick, to 'Dissapear' when hit just making a smash thud or crunch sound.

Peds would have to be very low poly models with tiney textures, so you would it will be a challange to make them look right, and make them look like.. what there soposed to look like, also drones would be even lower detail than the driveable cars using things such as 2d wheels, and hexigon tankers were acceptable back then.

The type of maps I was going to do is still unknown, I was going to start with a regular 90s not futuristic city, then move to perhaps the coast, Industrial areas, or countryside were Not planned to be in, mainly because country is hard to do, and was hardly ever in these old driving games. the aim was still to keep free roam.

-=Ridge Racer Rampage=-

Even tho I wanted to do it this still seems like a bad idea,
But its carmageddon in a ridge racer style. This may be way too close to the other mod of Carma 95, so it would be kinda pointless, but the idea is a racing game set in japan using the ridge racer style, and making tracks, the carmageddon twist is there would be small areas outside the track to look around, such as small pit areas, or a bit of a city, or wherever the race takes place, peds would be unknown I cant think what to do them as to be honist, or where they would be, the damage system would be solid models with smashable textures, The mod seems worse the more I think about it really...

tho that japanese texturing style from that era would be fun to do, and making a track would be hard.. pluss most of the time the opponents would drive around at the same speed or try kill you.. wich kinda brakes the ilusion of you just being a psycho on a regular racing game. if only the opponents could be programed to Only race or flee, it could feel like a racing game rampage

The simplistic cars would also be fun to make, and kinda quick to create, tho the lack of damage modling may not apeal to some.

Would she be the Only ped ingame? and does this mean it would be better suited as a C1 mod than C2? well chances are eaither way it wont ever get there :P

-=Blood Racer!=-

In my childhood anime came along, and it was very 90s anime.. everyone had huge muscles, all girls had huge boobs, animals walked on two legs amungst people, and the laws of physics were so fucked up cars could turn on point and bounce around. capturing the zany driving physics of DBZ style cartoons would be a challange.. but one I would happily try to take on.. also Blood Racer explination mark, would be the type of name id imagine an anime from that era to call a racing game that kills people..

Peds would ofcorse be overly muscled and jsut over the top characters wearign brightly colored clothing and having unusual, physics defying hairstyles. and unusual colors, a guy in pink pants, with bright green hair and a yellow tshrit wouldent stand out in a crowd in my imagining of the world.
as for the drones, well they would be things like, british minis, japanese small cars, american cars but shorter and overstlyed, those are things I usually see in animes, and id throw in things like vintage cars cartooned, bikini girls on motorcycles, tour busses. etc.

But what about opponents? well simler stuff, over the top american cars, with rear fins being way over exadurated, the classic british style mini wich often shows up in anime, japanese micro cars like the suzuki alto and such but with the hood vent and such being over exadurated, and ofcorse the proformance japanese sedans like cars based off the evolution, the impretza, skyline, and other such cars, all carmageddonised with not too over the top stuff, Anime tends to like its cars looking normal.. so even a totally armored car would be very subtle, like the glass would be strangly bullet proof, the body would be reinforced but still look orignal. and guns and such are usually subtle, (unless were going into mech anime and such) so I guess maybe just subtle blades and spikes, and such in these subtle designs.

Maps? well have you ever seen an anime without a beach scene? the first thing that comes to mind in amine is City, Beach, so I guess those, and industrial areas, hot springs has allways been an idea but maybe that would be too hard to plan a driveable area like that? they all look very rocky, I allways wanted a highway with lots of cars to cross over in a part of a race, this would have oversized anime trucks T-boning you as you try race across the highway section. should be pretty easy to implement.. the only challange is dealign with people who try drive off down the highway to explore :P we cant make an ENTIRE highway.

-=Carmageddon 55=-

those who know me know I love the 50s. so whats there to say here? its jsut regular carmageddon set in the mid 1950s, because I love the style of EVERYTHIGN back then. so thered be cars, cloths trains, and citys yeyah.

The maps would mostly be city set, but I would like some other areas too still within the city bounds, such as a park, rail yard and such, The whole game in my mind would be set in one city, and the maps would just be diffrent areas of that city, it would be quite some work as thered need to be a fuckton of drones.. and making a city aint easy eaither.

Peds would just be.. regular 1950s looking people, so they would depend on the area, it would be cool because everyone wears hats :D and hats are awsome. The droens would be regular mid 50s, cars with the occasinal earlyer car goining back to the late 30s, and ofcorse the usual busses, and trucks, The would also need to be thundering trains going thru the train yard map, this would use coffeys trick of making the train cars seprate drones, so they can go around bends for smalelr yard trains, and I would liek to apply the same trick to long passanger and freight trains that thunder thru the yard from one end to another (possibly thru a false wall of some kind) this way when hit train cars would go eveywhere causing a chayotic derailing.. rather than a long one pice train sliding to a stop.

The map its self would as I said be one city cut into parts, In my mind I was not going for the sunny late 50s look, but more a cold feeling of a winter city, inspired by soem palce like 1950s new york, or chicargo or such places, I also hoped for some maps to have light snow covering wich would have alternate snow coverd drones and such,

-=Timeageddon=-

Time travel!, yeah Carmageddon thru time, Ive allways wanted to do this too, Each set of raced would be in a diffrent country, timezone, and everything, so from modern day, to the the past and back.... to the future :P
Each race would start out in the Time ship! this would give the mod a feeling of continiuty amungst all thats going on, so each race would be in a warehouse size ship where the race starts, racing out thru the large open door into whatever time period we are in,This is easily possible as you can set the starting grid to be away from the actual track.

For the maps.. Since I allready want to do a 50s mod I would have avoided that era, so in my mind the races would take place in the generic times you would expect, The pre history dinosaur era, onto places like ancient egypt, ancient rome, the 1800s wild west, 1920s america, 1960s europe. present day, the Not-too-distant-future, and the way into the future in space stations and such. I have no idea what order it would be in, or if you pass thru time In order, or maybe it should be random.. but ya...

Peds and drones, well... Peds would ofcorse be fitting for whatever era, so dinos, ancient people, egyptians, fassion from 20s 60s etc etc, I was hoping to include a special allmost Hidden ped on some levels, such as jesus :P in early history, cliopatra somewhere in ancient egypt, and possibly some very hard to kill roman gods?.. Drones wouldent exist in most levels but, cleary cars in some maps, trains in the wild west, and possibly soem flying terrasaurs and such in jurasic times just to add some movement to the skys (even tho the pic I used is of the cretaceous)

Cars, they would need to be high riding, futurish type rides, capable of coping with any terrain any time period would throw at them, so Id kinda look into concepts of offroad trucks and such, insperation from concept cars allways helps with that futuristic look, the cars themselves wouldent be beat to hell I wanted to aim for an avrage look, so maybe some dirt, etc, and large blunt surfaces for that good ol blunt force trauma,

this is still one of the mods that I want to make, but the worl involved in making that many new peds, new maps, opponents ,and parts for evey time period included would be an insane amount of work. unfortunatly it may just remain a dream.. Tho a time travel mod feturing maybe 2 or 3 time perionds would be more likley...

-=Carmatoon=-

All haters please leave the room because I.. love cartoon network, well some of it atleast... freakin robot boy and its boring show allways on a couple years back, anyhow Did anybody ever see where they made a 3d model of CN putting all the places togeather? townsville, fosters home, nowhere, a kinda city tour. that would be the aim here.

The game would take place in diffrent shows, the main ones that come to mind are the modern era stuff, Powerpuff girls, Adventure time, Fosters home, Ed Edd Eddy, take all those palces, make em, add peds, add cars, dones. and running down robots in a dexters lab map would be fun right? that place is big enough to be a map of its own.

Pes would ofcorse be characters from the show the map is, this includes some main characters, and the background ones too, as filler. drones would have been added where aperipriate, such as townsville traffic

Cars would be cars from CN too, so, the fosters buss, ustesses truck from courage, the professors car, and going back in time we will get some of those whacky races cars too!,

No idea if this mod would go good or bad or just be a messy cluster fuck, but toons are fun..

-=Toy Carma=-

Last one ill keep short, but basically tiney carma with toys, probly no peds, but there would be all kinds of toys, so cars, racecars, busses, tractors, bright colored kids toy cars, the parts would be solid but detatchable meaning parts would stay in shape but fly off, races would take places in diffrent areas such as a bedroom, very hotroom, a garage type area, a little bit of on the street, maybe around the edge of a pool with some ramps set up and such, or jumps to an inflatable raft, drones would be things like a train set, and on the street a full sized car that would instantly waste anything it touches... only problem is it would suddenly crash after hitting a toy? maybe theres a map trick wich can make a solid moving object to crush a car.

And that concludes my ideas page, Its a shame I never did any of these things and its probly too late now, I also dont have the skill to make maps still so thats a Huge thing when it comes to conversions. I can add bits to maps, I can tweek sorounding areas.. but making them myself? hm,
Hopefully tho youve enjoyed this look, and youy might even get some ideas? for now I should work ony my existing projects.
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: Total conversions I never did.

Post by coffeycup »

That was quite the read. Any of those ideas would make a great TC.
I've got a bunch of unreleased Dino peds if you ever do the Timeageddon one.

I find making maps really easy but not if you're using CarEd. I don't know how Maestro does it. :supercrazy:
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

I remember when we were going to make a total conversion together but nothing came of it, shame.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

All these were nice ideas I could have embraced as well :)
Most of them indeed involve a lot of work, especially on the track side of modding.
But a theme like the 1950s one could consist of skinning existing tracks, peds and then new cars and drones.
Same with the Ridge Racer idea (which I often thought about for C1): skinning and modding existing races and then new cars. It'd be even possible to change the color palette to make it more fitting for such a game (like... more blue colors!).
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

nice words again.. this really is the best gaming community ever, everyones awsome on this particular site atleast.

Im kinda creativly dead at the moment, first thing im gona do is finish off my DD mod,... also im a little down right now, the time befor christmas is allways a little dull, everyone online is busy, nobody wants to design anything with me, to draw with me, to play any games with me, I crave doing something.. with someone, my freinds are also all busy as they have familys now. I feel like the last person on earth with no children.. meh, so When I get like this I become unproductive,
The posative side is its allmost christmas so its like two weeks before my family all arive and things go crazy and its my happyest time of the year, and I cant wait... but that also means ill be unproductive as ill be too busy doing stuff with my own family...

Explination for the lack of progress out of the way.

I would still love to make a full mod With people, but I kinda feel im too late, Back when it was busyer around here I was still the new kid, making crappy skins and attempting to make so called 'mods' by packaging stuff togeather and reskinning it.. car packs.. I hate car packs now. unless there actully.. you know.. Made, Downloading mods and putting them in a zip a mod does not make.

What a community project would require:
I like consistancy, Im sure most people are the same.. well most people who like things to look tastefull anyway, having a bunch of unfitting cars in a mod may work for just your own game, but as a mod its self.. I dunno it kinda comes across unprofessinal. so we would have needed small groups of people on diffrent pats (I think thats how game devs work anyhow?)

Cars:
So ther would be a couple of car makers, wich would be me and someone? providing the driveable cars, drones, props etc for the mod?, these would be new items, or possibly fitting ones from the pack of noncars and dronve ive done. but the actual game driveable Cars would be new models. since its a new mod and all :P exclusive content.

Peds:
A ped maker, I can make peds but I cant 'Make' peds, for some reson humans remain the thing I cant model. for a total conversion it would require totally new, un-recycled ped models. this would be a first for a mod? and give it a nice fresh style.

Maps:
New maps, totally new maps exclusive for the mod? the Biggest part of any mod this would be, it would be a huge amount of work, and probly the single reson such mods do not exist?

Texters:
Text file editors, people who will set up the car handling so its consistant... seriusly im a bitch when it comes to correct car setting. maybe the reson that if I do start a project nobody would ever work with me again o.O, but it needs to be right, Right? cant haev tough supercars, and Suvs with hard suspension. these people would also be responsible for all the dirty work, setting up opponent paths, drone pats, noncars, I cant see anybody Wanting to do this but its atleast something wed could All work on, for one I can set the ped spawning apropriatly, I can make drone paths, and I can set up races and missions pretty easy now. unless its a smahsable mission. so I guess this would be a community thing.

Sound editor:
the person responsible for making sure cars, peds, and effects are right, I personally have collected a rather large sound libray from such games as Mafia, Mafia II, Gta sa, crashday, Nfs, and even some simulator games, pluss sounds recorded from videos etc, thers plenty to use in the way of crashes, engine sounds, and human noises. the only thing I lack is animal sounds. so id hope that sounds would be my job :P I hate when Muscle cars dont have a V8 sound, and vice versa. its all or nothing games using v8 sounds for front wheel drive hatchbacks.

its a hell of a lot of work, I cant help feeling if I got here 5 years earlyer, and became one of the top car makers by like 2005, wich would have been possible if I worked hard? then people would have been willing to make a kickass mod with me when C2 was still popular.
Right now I feel theres only, Me, DB, Coffey, Tosh, occasinaly alex, that still coems here who are modders? (sorry if I missed you) but theres a lot of work, and not many people.
it would have been so cool to get togeather, work out an idea togeather, and make it all as a team, but I feel those days are gone for this massive amount of work? still a nice fantisy tho :P too bad I wont be one of the known modders in CR, atleast I never became massivly popular, not enough to feel like a forgotton popstar anyhow :P makes me wonder what happend to all the top C2 modders..

so anyway now that ive ranted for ages, is there any smaller projects people would be into for c2? anything we Can do as a community, Id love to design stuff with people, as agroup, or has the time for C1, C2 past?

I should really get back to that DD mod, still screwing around with TDR skins, and gmod tho.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

I'm with ya, Maxy. Whatever ya need-as long as I have the ability, anyways. I suck at set-up, ( because I haven't learned enough yet.) but I can model and skin the hell outta terrain and make vehicles. I got some free time coming up this month if I can contribute anything.
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ya, I never messed with the setup/handling either because I'd always end up with something undriveable. Would just change the red line speed to make it a slower or faster car.

I do like the Timeageddon idea because I like historical stuff. But not sure I can commit to making a bunch of stuff for a project. Though I have been fiddling with a castle map. Always wanted a castle you could drive around the ramparts. The Splat Pack levels weren't all that castle-like, at least to me.

Not sure what the gameplay will be like, the AI will probably end up in the water or driving off ramparts and ending up on their roofs...
Attachments
Castle900.jpg
Castle900.jpg (193.33 KiB) Viewed 4893 times
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Whoa, that looks interesting!
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

ey, yo, ok so heres what I have in mind,
I have been thinking and what coffey says is true, this is kinda a huge thing to comit to so. why dont all of us make a kinda, demo thing, Ya know a map, with peds, and drones, and smashy stuff, with a set of like 5 opponents, and some cop type veichles for a mission? and there ya go.
to me starting off trying to do one item would probly work better right? but still what would we do?..

also nice castle coffey, I dunno much bout history, so I tend to like castles with dwarfs, and busty elves, and dragons, and.. well you get the idea... yeah warcraft I think.
but yeah nice, realistic looking castle there. I should really play with skechup again.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hey Maxine, I'm bumping this topic to come back on two points:

Requiring a team to work on a big modification. We are often quite rude (with good reasons) toward people who arrive here with big plans to make a grand TC and all but need a whole team to do all the work in their place. However in this case you are a very talented modder with an advanced insight as to what you can already do and what you can't. And thus you are able to assume the lead of such a project and progress until the very limits of your capabilites. When it comes to finding other people to help you on aspects you can't handle by yourself, you have to organize as much resources as possible to motivate canditates and ease their work. This might be in the form of detailed todo lists, references, sketches, base stuff already prepared, and the likes.

Also, in any case, you must be 300% motivated by your idea. There's no way other people will follow you if don't believe your project to be ultra solid and full of passion :)

Here are three good reads about modding:
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Myc ... d_Startups
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Myc ... _Etiquette
http://chrisholden.net/making_games.htm

Second point, has the time for C1, C2 passed?: Absolutely not. And I don't say that because we are veterans attached to these old games. I often take Doom and Quake as examples. But it isn't fair as these games really are still very popular, modded and played online. I know better examples even though they are less shining: Wolfenstein3D and Commander Keen (ok, ok, they are all id games... not my fault if they are my favorite games from my youth). Both games are much less popular nowadays especially as moddable games and mind you they are much less documented too. Well their communities are still around and still kicking, even though they are as crowded as CWA. I'm always in awe when I see what people can achieve with Wolf3D (Trench Warfare or Batmand vs Bane mods!) or CK (the unofficial follow-ups). The same applies to us, we don't realize how people can be surprised by what our community can do to these old games. That alone makes them reinstall the games and try some mods.

It's a bit unexpected, but stuff these days don't really seem to vanish in the sands of time. There are people making emulators of very old computers to be able to run respective softwares more easily. Young people discovering games from before their time. Sometimes coming back full force thanks to mods actually, like Brutal Doom.

As long as someone is passionate and concretise its dedication via mods and stuff, that person alone can share it to other people and keep the game alive.

's all :oops:
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction

Check who’s online