Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Derby Experiment

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Derby Experiment

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Hi Guies, Look what ive been testing

[youtube]lGg1_UcaTNw[/youtube]
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: Derby Experiment

Post by coffeycup »

What the..how the..how'd you do that? Even the camper trailer broke apart and the boat came off the trailer!! :supercrazy: :rofl: :supercrazy:
And there's other AI driving around so you're not using the freeze opponents trick. SO I repeat what the..how the..how'd you do that??
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Oh right ya, I guess this did need explaning a little, I was going to make a more in depth topic but I had so many issues with windows movie maker, and windows 8 and ezvid, and firefox, that I got pissed off and just uploaded the video.

Ok so, the explaning
As you may recall, I had lost of issues with complex bounding boxes in the truck mod, when I secured the trailers better this caused the game to freak out, causing trucks to randomly explode, and trailers fly everywhere, causing me to make the trucks imortal in truck me version.. 2 or 3, one of em anyway, so. this so far is the most stable setup I could find.

The bounding box is actully modeld off the physical models still left on the cars, For example the rear of the car has 4 cuboid shapes, like so
4 Cuboids see

The traielr model also has a cupod shaped kinda Peg that fits in that hole.
That is also a bounding box.

These slot togeather
As you can see, its long and tall enough for it to not slip off over, or under unless the car, or trailler drop from a hight, on a ledge or something.

Now for the bit that makes the whole thing stable, and driveable.
The trailer wheels are just dummy wheels doing nothing, the real wheel positions are actully at each corner, just like a regular C2 car, the only diffrence is this time they are backwords, front wheels at rear, rear wheels at front.

The trick to not make opponents drive is to set the Rear wheels, wich are now at the front to have hardly any traction, and hardly any friction angles. really like 0.000001, this seems to stop the opponent from moving as it has No traction with wich to drive its self, It also makes the traielr easy to steer, draging the front wheels around a bend without any friction, this means if spanwed in the right place opponents can also tow trailers. Just beware of recovering, It works fine in a small circuit but most likley.. or Deffinatly wont work in a fullsized map.

Also last but important point is I had to modify the Genral text, to make sure cars did not try to bend or split, as this caused the game to crash, seems trailers were putting a lot of force on the cars.

If you want to give it a try, and/or look at the filles, bounding boxes, setup heres a zip contaning the 4 cars, 2 trailers and 1 S.O.D map, with Opponents, Races, Genral file included, so make sure you use a blank carma, Or make backups in your game :P I dont need to tell you guys, but yaknow incase anybody else wanders in here.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ljrrz ... rStuff.zip

Common errors/bad points:

- Recovering will loose your trailer (odbviusly)

- If you or an opponent reverse into a wall, or take a hard collision from the rear Without a trailer, the game will crash, aparently it cant handle crushing the tow hitch bounding box all at once.

- The cars handle funny, I still havent got a good setup, its kinda hard to drive with a traielr and you feel like you are constantly controlling a drift,

- Due to the player needing to spawn in an Exact point, the race may need restarting sevral times to apear on the grid position I set, For some reson when more opponents are added carmageddon randomly moves the opponent around an invisable Grid,

- Opponents, Trailers, And your own trailer need wasting to compleate a race, unless doing laps. This feels odd, but I dont think there is a fix for it.

- The game is Less stable and occasianlly crashes.

also on a side not I have allready been working on Us style, regular demoliton derby cars, complying with the rules etc :P
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yaaaaaaaaaa! AWESOME!!!!
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Maxine this is FUCKING AWESOME.

You system sure works great though. I was thinking, are you suing specific opponent points for the caravans and random grid placement for the cars? Can this fix the having to restart over and over issue?

Also that car looks great by the way. Can't wait to see what you come up with for more detailed caravans.

I remember seeing these races on dutch television when I was a kid. These races had some serious action, like your caravan races, but also backward racing etc. Check it out: (narrating is is done by an old fashioned comedian though... :oops: )
[youtube]S7ipFApsFec[/youtube]
timmy76
motorised death

Post by timmy76 »

These are great fun Maxine.
Loving the Caprices aswell can't wait to try them out
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

That was a great read, very impressive. :thumbsup:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I couldn't resist a camping trip to Silverton :smile:

Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Impressive!
About the fact you have to waste both opponents and trailers to win the race, you could set the race as a mission and then force specified opponents to be spawn (at multiplayer points which could be near the starting grid) and then set the mission to be wasting all the specified opponents (ala 'Trucking Hell').

Nice blue car there too :ssmile:
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Glad everyones havving fun so far :D
Nice video timmy, heh seems like the trailers are too tough at the moment wich I ham also said, But thats all tweeking for later, and atleast in the end coffey had a nice roadtrip :B I shoulda made you a quick luggage filled car and camping trailer huh, heh I wanted to have like a mini demolition derby fun kinda mod, not the usual start to finish mod but more a screw around type, with selectable cars, and opponent tricks, like, Regular demo derby races, and trailer races, school bus races, demolition derby areanas, limo derby, combine derby, all that kinda weird stuff in one mini mod. tho the types of cars for each event will probly be limited, due to the amount of events and such, I Could just recycle a bunch of them from my US style demo derby mod im working on now for S.O.D

Anyway a short explination of what my issue is with the grid.
from my tests with both this, and truck mod. this seems to happen.

Heres the example, you have 5 opponents in the race, so 6 cars with the player, you put down a point for the start of the grid.

So sometimes you might apear at the front of the grid. directly on the point.

Sometimes the grid puts you in a random place within that grid of cars.

This im sure you allready know, but im getting to a point.
So lets say we have a grid point set in that position, we then add 5 more points in multiplayer start positions, we set opponents so cars and trailers spawn in the correct place,

So when you start the game, This should happen

However, explicit opponents or not carmageddon for resons I cant quite understand Counts the amount of opponents in a race no matter what, and spawns you in a random place on the now invisable Grid.

causing odd things to happen.

Imagine it like this, Opponents are set, but carma imagines them here.

Is there any way to stop this very anoying thing from happening? so I can make a nice mod of this.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ya, I messed with your starting grid and spawn points to add them to the MaxMap. I don't know how you figured out the multiplayer spawn points, but they’re spot on.

I made a little web page with some JavaScript to take your coordinates and offset them and flip them 180' because I need the cars pointing southbound and print them on a page to copy and paste into the map TXT.

Because I flipped it, the starting point was on the rear corner. So what would happen is I'd randomly spawn behind everyone else along the invisible starting grid. Kept restarting until I finally hit the top position next to my trailer.

I'm gonna play around some more, I want to add trailers to some more maps.

Don't think there's a way to control starting grid though.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Can't you set the race to be started as a network gametype race somewhere?

Perhapsf you can set the 'default number of opponents' value to 0 in the general RACES.TXT file, just like it is set in the NETRACES.TXT file? I have no maps to test this quickly, otherwise I would'v myself.

Check who’s online