Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

caricons.pix

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
QTZ
hit n run

caricons.pix

Post by QTZ »

Thing which is missing from C1/SP and no one care about so much are caricons - those are icons displayed during net play.
Car icons are very useful when we are in net play we can see which cars are in play and who driving which car.

To see caricons in game look screen shots or try to run net mode (C1/SP/MC1SE) by your self.

For C1&SP there are 3 caricons.pix files - two exactly the same for lo-res (needed to be like that to be compatible with C1&SP CDs) and one for hi-res.

CARICONS-MSE-H.png
CARICONS-MSE-H.png (21.64 KiB) Viewed 3137 times
[/url]
CARICONS-MSE-L.png
CARICONS-MSE-L.png (7.75 KiB) Viewed 3137 times
[/url]
Those are 16x5 for lores and 32x12 for hires. This is my expanded version made for meld MC1SE (more cars and different car order). There are three columns - 1st is default, next two are copy of 1st one, but with starting cars switched. There are also tiny columns which allow to recognize where each car icon start / end. Missing icons are all those "CHEAT" and some "ADD-ON". "ADD-ON" on the end are for custom add-ons and to prevent game crash when more cars added (however there is a limit anyway).

To help editing I have divided caricons.pix files into separate bitmaps for each car - available in caricons bitmap pack. This also show which icons are missing. The filenames for files included in package are taken from fli animations filenames, so it's easy to find which icon is for which car.

For C1+SP only 18 of 69 caricons are missing. For MC1SE in addition - 2 Stainless add-ons icons (Chrome Good and Phooey) and 2 Mastro add-ons (D23, D25). In general there are also few other cars related to original Carmageddon - Ed101 Jet, Reliant Robin (Recovered-recreated by Toshiba-3) which will be nice to have icons too (Razor Back have icon in C2).

Already changed by me: for both res: NEWEACHR.BMP - added (based on Red Eagle II); for lo-res: BATRED.BMP - bigger as other Eagles II; HAWKRED2.BMP - more visible front glass; ROADHOG.BMP - moved left (as by default all other icons); lighter versions from SP used: BUSTER.BMP, DUMPSTER.BMP, IVAN.BMP, OTIS.BMP, PITBULL.BMP, SCREWIE.BMP; for hi-res: HAWKWHI.BMP - was copy of EAGLEWHI.BMP, edited to match other Hawks; all Hawks II reedited (to be similar, except for yellow Hawk II - since in game have different model); Eagle II icon reedited (to be similar to other). Blank icons replaced with CHEAT (from SP) and added ADD-ON (custom) icons for add-on custom cars. VWCampa (Flower Plower), Riviera - taken from C2.

BTW: For C2 caricons I have found that for lo-res there is one car missing which may result (if used, not tested by me) in some icons swap... I think lo-res icons are used in software mode.

The primary task is to create 18 icons for C1+SP (for hi-res and lo-res modes). For add-ons cars I think this will be OK to make add-on icons - as I made - but using different color for each (few colored versions I think - for user add-ons too).

Here is test to make them different (for cheat cars this is temporary solution):
caricons_addon_test.png
caricons_addon_test.png (4.57 KiB) Viewed 3137 times
[/url]
caricons_cheat_test.png
caricons_cheat_test.png (3.95 KiB) Viewed 3137 times
[/url]Note: this is just a in-edit brief.

When done I will include those in C1 and MC1SE patches. Also Create separate sets for C1, SP, MP (match order of existing packs, and my own meld pack patch [not released yet]).

Other thing - there is a bug which cause caricons in menu display incorrectly in hi-res mode. Game read hires icon, but use height for lo-res (as is used in menu) which cause icons to be shifted and cut.

I think this is possible to fix caricons issue for hi-res by changing hard coded height (I think it's in exec) for car icon from caricons.pix from 5 to 12. This will allow to see icons correctly when in hires, but will corrupt lores mode... so this will be best to patch together with always hires patch I think. Unfortunately there is so many bytes with 5 value in exec... so need more knowledge to find proper one...

Note: Some text and files are moved form here and here and here - where I have asked Mad Maxine to make missing caricons.
Last edited by QTZ on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: caricons.pix

Post by Toshiba-3 »

QTZ, please don't post bmp files as they break the banner up there. Try to simply post or upload true colors PNG and JPG if possible. The banner gets easily screwed.

What I find too bad, and already told you, is that you put a lot of efforts in the MC1SE which, while a great pack, isn't vanilla at all and is thus rarely what people are after when seeking a C1 pack.
I hope you'll be able to port most of these changes and direct me when the time for the Gourmet Pack will come.
I think this is possible to fix caricons issue for hi-res by changing hard coded height (I think it's in exec) for car icon from caricons.pix from 5 to 12. This will allow to see icons correctly when in hires, but will corrupt lores mode... so this will be best to patch together with always hires patch I think.
Good idea, I'll try to have a look for such a hack.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

So this was you :) This need to be in bmp format to be ready to edit... previously and this time I have added link to original files (click on picture) which is also deleted... OK, but this is really pain - Each time when I'm updating bitmaps I need to remember and update png in post too. Maybe you need to modify banner script? :)

The answer about MC1SE/Vanilla is here - I don't want to hijack my own topic ;)

About Caricons if this fix will work we can made modified version of caricon.pix for lo-res to work properly too - just same size pixelmap as for hi-res, but with small icons placed same places as for hi-res (with invisible-transparent spaces between).

Thanks to Mad Maxine I have found this and this. I know this already :) Adding add-on icons at end fixing crash in net play, but there is limit for cars possible to add.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Couldn't you just zip up the BMPs and upload the ZIP file? Problem solved.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

I want to show how it look like :) otherwise I can put just link to bitmaps? may I? or it will screw up a banner? In this case I will keep pictures + links. Is this correct?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

The banner only tries to handle the first external picture displayed in a post. The script is not well optimized and I can't fix it (I would have already otherwise).
If you attach the bitmaps to the post, the banner won't try to load them so you might want to replace the PNGs I attached with your BMPs. Simply linking to the files is ok too.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

The banner is turned black (but not locked) - when I have added new post with png to existing topic...

Edit: OK, first post is done for now, please read!

Check who’s online