Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Help with .WAM editing for explosive car

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
CarnEvilcrazy
mechanic

Help with .WAM editing for explosive car

Post by CarnEvilcrazy »

Hey guys! I need some help setting up a wam file for my friend's car.

He wanted me to make a car for him, and this is the description he gave me, and told me to be creative:
"An E.O.V (explosive ordnance vehicle) with enough explosive punch to blow the spine out of any driver who dares to hit it!"

Relying on this description alone, I thought about making a box with wheels where instead of shrapnel flew off, those explosive mines used with the Slaughter Mortar powerup could drop out on the road and potentially booby trap roads with a minefield!

I've been reading the advanced wam editing tutorial hoping to accomplish this, but I get rather confused.

Is it possible to do this? If so, could I have a little tutorial please? There are no detachables. It's just a body with wheels.

Thanks!
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: Help with .WAM editing for explosive car

Post by coffeycup »

Yes it's possible. My Dirty Money does this. You do set up detachables in the WAM so you have things that will fly off in the explosion. You attach a mine/mortar powerup ID to a smashable texture like the windshield. You're just setting up a smashable material but then setting the 'Room turn on code' to 14 instead of the default 0 (14 is the mine)

Read through the Dirty Money thread and download Dirty Money and examine the TXT and WAM files.

But, but have you ever made a car before? Because this will just confuse and frustrate you if not. Before you can run you need to learn to walk, and i am not going to carry you. :-0
CarnEvilcrazy
mechanic

Post by CarnEvilcrazy »

coffeycup wrote:Yes it's possible. My Dirty Money does this. You do set up detachables in the WAM so you have things that will fly off in the explosion. You attach a mine/mortar powerup ID to a smashable texture like the windshield. You're just setting up a smashable material but then setting the 'Room turn on code' to 14 instead of the default 0 (14 is the mine)

Read through the Dirty Money thread and download Dirty Money and examine the TXT and WAM files.

But, but have you ever made a car before? Because this will just confuse and frustrate you if not. Before you can run you need to learn to walk, and i am not going to carry you. :-0
Oh okay. Yes. I've made cars before. About 6, and I can tell you they're nothing special :sad:

Anyways, i'm unsure of how to set this up. Here's what I have:

//Entry 2
BOMBSTORAGE //actor
Normal //softness
Detach
Box
1 //number of smashable textures

Smashable part #1
14 // Room turn on code

However, it crashed. What am I doing wrong? I can't look at Dirty Money because i'm on a phone currently.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Of course it crashed, that's not how you set up a smashable material.
Harm did a WAM editing tutorial. Look at section 1.3.3
https://www.cwaboard.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8062
CarnEvilcrazy
mechanic

Post by CarnEvilcrazy »

coffeycup wrote:Of course it crashed, that's not how you set up a smashable material.
Harm did a WAM editing tutorial. Look at section 1.3.3
https://www.cwaboard.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8062
I looked at that, but i'm confused as to which properties i'm supposed to put in, and which ones to leave.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Each line is commented explaining what it is.

In the example, "00hood" would be whatever the texture name is of your windshield.
"00hood3" would be the name of the texture of the broken window

You then change the 0 on the "// Room turn on code" to 14

Please download Dirty Money and look at the WAM file.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

CarnEvilcrazy wrote: I looked at that, but i'm confused as to which properties i'm supposed to put in, and which ones to leave.
I'm-a no expert, but here's what I DO know about smashies:
This is just a single not smashed/smashed entry..
smashboom.jpg
smashboom.jpg (127.9 KiB) Viewed 4060 times
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
CarnEvilcrazy
mechanic

Post by CarnEvilcrazy »

coffeycup wrote:Each line is commented explaining what it is.

In the example, "00hood" would be whatever the texture name is of your windshield.
"00hood3" would be the name of the texture of the broken window

You then change the 0 on the "// Room turn on code" to 14

Please download Dirty Money and look at the WAM file.
Weird. I don't see any explosion coming from Dirty Money when it is hit. Isn't it suppose to?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

You're not going to see a fireball effect. Just money bags inside get thrown free.
CarnEvilcrazy
mechanic

Post by CarnEvilcrazy »

coffeycup wrote:You're not going to see a fireball effect. Just money bags inside get thrown free.
Ohhhh....okay. Then that's different then what i'm trying to. I'm looking to have mines get thrown from the back part (separate object) of the vehicle. I suppose that's still along the lines of spawning non-cars? If it is, then how do I add the mine to the track that this vehicle is set to be an opponent on? I read the advanced wam editing tutorial, and it said that the noncar has to be in the track's file and mentioned in the txt file.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Mines thrown from back of vehicle? Umm like mine-shitting powerup?

Don't know why you're asking about adding mines to the track? Maybe you're trying to do something that isn't possible? There is a track making/editing tute here:
http://coffey.polygonized.com/TrackMaki ... rting.html
CarnEvilcrazy
mechanic

Post by CarnEvilcrazy »

coffeycup wrote:Mines thrown from back of vehicle? Umm like mine-shitting powerup?

Don't know why you're asking about adding mines to the track? Maybe you're trying to do something that isn't possible? There is a track making/editing tute here:
http://coffey.polygonized.com/TrackMaki ... rting.html
Yes like the powerup. Unless it's impossible, then that's what i'm trying to do.

The part about adding it to the track was because, like I said, the advanced wam editing tutorial said to do it if you're making noncar shrapnel for the car.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I don't think it's possible. Unless anyone else has idea.
CarnEvilcrazy
mechanic

Post by CarnEvilcrazy »

coffeycup wrote:I don't think it's possible. Unless anyone else has idea.
Dang...okay. Thanks anyways.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

coffeycup wrote:I don't think it's possible. Unless anyone else has idea.
Probably not possible. I would have to test to be absolutely sure (which I cannot do until beginning of April). But I'd say it cannot be done

Check who’s online