Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Neat comparator tool if anybody needs one

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Neat comparator tool if anybody needs one

Post by Deep_Blue »

Like me.. (just beginning to get into mapmaking)
AptDiff
AptDiff
AptDiff.jpg (155.2 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
http://download.cnet.com/AptDiff/3000-2 ... 99723.html Tis a freebie.

I've been digging into the differences between C1 and C2 textfiles and it makes things a whole lot easier when I can compare them side-by-side.

Compares differences, likes, and edits chunks back and forth from what I can see. So far it works on *any type* of file I chuck into it.

Just thought it might come in handy for those of us who *don't* already understand the layouts.
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: Neat comparator tool if anybody needs one

Post by Toshiba-3 »

You're trying to put the Max Map into C1? :tongue:

Here I've been using Textpad for several years now. Great program too.
For hex editing, I've always used Hex Workshop. The best IMO.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Espyo
road raged psycho

Post by Espyo »

Whenever I need to compare text files, I just use my day-to-day text file editor, Notepad++. I'm not even sure if the compare plugin already comes with the program, but if not, it can be downloaded quickly using the internal plugin manager.

As for hex editing, the best one I could find that isn't paid is HxD. It's cozy.
I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a Pikmin fan engine.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Espyo: I have been using FrHed. Free and does the trick.
I got AptDiff originally to put car textfiles side by side so I could see the differences for when I make a new model based on somebody else's but want to keep certain physics attributes of their original model. I like it because it points out all the differences at once and makes editing easier because I can switch huge blocks of information with just a click or two (unlike Notepad where I have to either cut/paste chunks or manually edit).

Just another way to do things. Figured it might be useful.

@Tosh. That thought has crossed my mind. I'm just playing around with it at the moment- Of course it'd be a helluva lot simpler and with way fewer textures than the C2 version should I succeed-Hell, I might be just pissing in the ocean, but I'm having fun screwing around with it. I have no idea if it'd work but I have my DATA folder backed up just in case. Figured I'd use my fav map of all time. I figure even if it doesn't work or the result is just plain lame I can at least learn WHY and HOW. ;)

I have Mastro's tut on converting tracks from C2>C1 but it assumes the reader is already good and familiar with certain things like PT2 (which I'm STILL wrestling with).

So I guess I'll have another go at destroying my C1 install a buncha times until I either win or end up surrounded by scorched earth. :grin:

Mastro mentions deleting all the powerups first off, but doesn't provide a method. How exactly is that done? Is it done in PT2 or another way?

EDIT* Belay that question. Tosh straightened me out onnit on FB. :)
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

Deep_Blue wrote:I have Mastro's tut on converting tracks from C2>C1 but it assumes the reader is already good and familiar with certain things like PT2 (which I'm STILL wrestling with).
I know, the tutorial is a bit outdated and confusing.
Mastro mentions deleting all the powerups first off, but doesn't provide a method. How exactly is that done? Is it done in PT2 or another way?
Cesm PT2 = Select a object with the mouse cursor and then go to Object/Remove.
Original Plaything2 = It's insane, but possible.

Definitely try using Cesm PT2 first.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK Thanks, Mastro. I have Cesm's PT2.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Mastro-Check your PMs. I got some questions for ya regarding your tut and PT2 if ya would, please.

Check who’s online