Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Truck Me! [1.3 Beta]

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: Truck Me! [Rel 1.2]

Post by coffeycup »

Mad_Maxine wrote:I came back to edit my post but yous responded,

I tried the pipe trailer now and dident fall off as easy as I expected :P
Btw, yeah I spcifically went wasted 8 trucks, so that we have 9 pluss the starting one, then saved it like that... The only reson I did that was there was only 9 trucks to start with, and I dident want all the 15 trailers cluttering up the car selection screen with there gray blank images.. Just wanted it to be more professinal looking is all.
yeah, think you need an explosion to break them free.

Yeah, I get why you set the saves up. It works really good and keeps it from gettin confusing seeing trailers. But now there's just so many more new trucks to add. So I'm trying to think how to add without replacing and not screw up the trailer assignments.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

These new trailers are great.
Carma2_HW 2013-05-19 15-26-56-18.jpg
Carma2_HW 2013-05-19 15-26-56-18.jpg (230.67 KiB) Viewed 6650 times
Carma2_HW 2013-05-19 15-15-01-22.jpg
Carma2_HW 2013-05-19 15-15-01-22.jpg (238.17 KiB) Viewed 6650 times
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Ya.. I know I had a weird little moment, I just felt fustrated with somethin,
And I hope you really mean that and your not just praising my work due to my little emo nobody loves me moment <.<

So.. Mall..
Rember how I said id make some nonecar models of parked cars for your mall parking lot and such? well uh.. I sat down to relax and listend to the radio while doing this...

Mabye I should make a drone pack or something?

So ya what we have so far is..

1999 Cadillac eldorado - Red
1999 Cadillac eldorado - Redneck White
1999 Cadillac eldorado - Blue

2001 Ford Crown Victoria - Red
2001 Ford Crown Victoria - Black
2001 Ford Crown Victoria - Mall Security
2001 Ford Crown Victoria - Taxi Yellow

1995 Honda Civic Hatch - Red
1995 Honda Civic Hatch - Poor Mans Rice
1995 Honda Civic Hatch - Silver
1995 Honda Civic Hatch - Blue (not shown in pic)

2005 Dodge Ram - Red Double Cab
2005 Dodge Ram - White Double Cab
2005 Dodge Ram - Blue Base model single cab
2005 Dodge Ram - Black Double Cab Dually

Reson the blue civic is not pictured is im thinking of getting rid of it (at the moment its just a skin and not actully a seprate item) Allso had a black cadillac with big chrome rims, Wich I dident save.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Jesus, Maxine. How do you crank out so much stuff? Kinda scary, really. They're all awesome looking. :saston:

That's enough noncars. I don't think we need a million types of parked cars. Yes, I can see a couple setup as drones too. Taxis and security and a few cars that circle around looking for a parking space.

Not having anything else driving around would be weird at a mall. So the busier the better with a little traffic.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

I wans on a roll, you know when you get that? Moar!

So should I not bother finishing my caravan?

Allso I ment I should setup another pack to replace the stock cars in C2, I recon a bunch of crown vics in colors will look better than plastic looking wagons from the stock game... And better than the NFS textured cars I did that were.. Boxy.

Honistly tho I got the radi on, Rockin away here, Was probly going to keep making cars untill I got disturbed, youd end up with 100 diffrent parked car options..

Was tempted to make as many as possible and just go.. Here ya go use whatever ya want from here!,
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Damn, Maxy!
You iz onna ROLL!
:shock:
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Maxine - I shouldn't tell you not to make stuff.
If you're on a roll, go for it. I'll use what I can.

Please turn some into drones tho.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Good!, because I dident stop, But I have slowed down a lot, mainly because I was trying to set up a drone, aparently my mind melted for a while but after a little everything came back and I was able to make drones again,

But... something buged me, that flat solid color texture, I did that because it has no roof or hood texture, its just the body stretched, in a solid color, wich I tried to quickly apply a simple hood texture.. Hell the diffrence a texture makes...

So more modern cars! the dodge caravan is done,

So I decided to attempt another modern looking car, Seemes ok to me, much better now im using top textures, Hood, Trunk Etc,

End of update:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Holy cow. Yeah, the hood texture really does add a lot. Wow. :supercrazy:

I've been goofing off fiddling with other projects, but I'll work on the mall tonight.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

All caprice models now have hood textures.. allso added some more parts to the taxi.. Why the hell not!? Its not 1998 nomore Im sure peoples computers can handle 550 poly cars!

Wait what? It never ends!

I figured I would have burnt out by now.. But no!, strange..
No pressure from me tho. just do whatever ya want man even if ya dont start for another month heh,
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, yes!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Yeah those great. I'll need to put crazy names on all the stores too.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

MaulMall4.jpg
MaulMall4.jpg (191.07 KiB) Viewed 6538 times
MaulMall5.jpg
MaulMall5.jpg (119.78 KiB) Viewed 6538 times
MaulMall3.jpg
MaulMall3.jpg (185.66 KiB) Viewed 6538 times
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Coffeycup is credit to team!

Seriusly that looks freakin awsome, I like how youve made the signs and such stand out rather than all being pasted on with one texture, Nice work, cant wait to dirive around... uhh I better get to work too huh,
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

MaulMall6.jpg
MaulMall6.jpg (207.12 KiB) Viewed 6508 times
jEEZ, there's a lot of pavement, curbs and sidewalks to deal with. But it'll be worth it in the end.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Already told Maxine several times but still... one hell of a great mod!
truckme.jpg
truckme.jpg (94.75 KiB) Viewed 6478 times
This has a lot of potential to become big/standalone. A bit like SOD.
Nice wip too Coffeycup :scool:
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

MaulMall8.jpg
MaulMall8.jpg (246.76 KiB) Viewed 6449 times
MaulMall7.jpg
MaulMall7.jpg (138.09 KiB) Viewed 6449 times
The McD's and Post Office are pretty much done until I figure out what to do with the edge of the map. I guess I'll need the road to loop back somehow. I find I need to pick a section and focus on it instead of hopping around to get anything done.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Sorry, I know this is a little off topic, but I saw the coolest truck combination this morning on my way to work.

There was one of those huge-ass tow trucks, a deep cobalt blue with purple flame paint job towing a bright red fire truck, a pumper I guess. It was early morning and the sun was just right, the colors were intense. Looked like one of those cool pictures you'd see on a glossy calendar.

I wish I coulda got a pic of it.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Sounds cool tho, sounds like something id liek to make o.o.
you know ive been thinking of towtrucks, and how I coudl get those to work and all but too much bounding box complications here,

Flame paintjobs,

I was worried you were like Im done the map now! cause I havent set up the drones and such yet :F heh,
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ha, no not done with the map yet. But have been working on it. There's two strip malls and restaurant that I mostly finished. But some sections of the map are still blank.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Hey JC (or Maxy), what about a mall security office and shed with some of those little golf cart-y thingies that the rent-a-cops ride around in? (noncars?) Something to put in unfinished portion of map?
Mallcop
Mallcop
westgate-mall-2.jpg (190.49 KiB) Viewed 6395 times
Just a thought. :thumbsup:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Maybe. Don't see those golf carts much in New England probably because of our shitty weather. :lol:

The blank areas are around the edge of the map where I need to put some suburban homes and trees. Need to fill in the gaps between areas that are finished too.

I did a 'drive through' vid using SketchUp's animation tools. I was gonna post it, but don't want to take all the fun out of exploring the map. Anyway, it was really obvious I need to come up with a way to deal with the edges of the map.

Maxine: yeah don't think tow trucks would work very well with the mod. I just thought it was the coolest looking thing I'd seen in a while.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ya, tell me about the shitty NE weather... That's why mall cops use pickup trucks there. :wink:

Suburban homes? Nice. Then there needs to be a (or a series of) McMansion(s) somewhere with a high, breakable privacy fence, a gazebo, a fountain, a tennis court to smash thru and a really classy swimming pool to drop an 18-wheeler into.

Ever seen a truck smash thru a house? Spectacular!

LOL! :lol:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Well, I figured out why all my textures were getting effed up when exporting my models. I had checked off 'Export stand-alone lines' when I was exporting opponent paths for the Mad Max map and I forgot to go back and uncheck it. That's what scrambled all my textures. Fuck, I can't believe I drove myself crazy over this, plus I didn't want to have to ask others to convert files for me. (Thanks Harm for doing those conversions).

Anyway, so I did a sanity check with textures this time. :grin:
ImageStill needs a lot of work, but now I'm excited about working on it again. :swheel:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Heh. That map's still makin' history, eh?

:wink:

Can't wait to try this out.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Deep_Blue wrote:Heh. That map's still makin' history, eh?
I don't think that it's making history, but now that I can export it and get it ingame, it'll finally get made. :tongue:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ah. I meant the maxmap. Eiche nardly wait for this one!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Hey Maxy,

I remember ya way back in the beginning of this thread ya saying this about the trailer hitches:
"Known bugs:
Trailers still detatch too easily, Will go back and revise a new type of bounding box to help this work better in future, Pretty much needs building again"

I got to thinkin', which is sometime dangerous ya know....and I thought if ya hadn't already improved upon yer trailer hitch design-I might could come up with something else to try.

So I fired up CarEd, which is pretty much all I know how to use and thought, "why not make something based on a real fifth wheel hitch that would be actually visible so ya could line up on it when connecting trailers?" Also I thought, "That whole trailer giving me a headache every time I brake or let off the throttle is a real bitch sometimes...What if something could be made that doesn't have so much slop in it? Trailers would stay attached better maybe?"

Now I know diddly about the bbox work ya had to put into these things, but the drawings you posted looked pretty complicated. This design might be less complicated-or at least as complicated but with a visible attachment point and a lil' tighter connection that'd still be able to pivot. I also know shite about the 'asc-to-physics' function in PT2, b ut wonder if it could be used to generate a box fr these parts.

5th wheel goes on tractor chassis and trailer pad and kingpin goes under trailer deck.

Could ya possibly be able to use something like this?
5thwheel.zip
(1.14 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
5th wheel hitch
5th wheel hitch
5thwheel.jpg (88.55 KiB) Viewed 6114 times
It might hafta be tilted some rearward and/or the kingpin lengthened or shortened (and rescaled cuz it's currently as big as a car) to work right.
Just a thought.
:smile:
Last edited by Deep_Blue on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Pretty sure Maxine knows what a trailer hitch looks like. :wink:
Working with BBoxes is not the same as making models in CarEd, not even close.
I think the trailers work fine. Unless I'm jumping a ramp or taking too sharp of a turn they stay on.
Sometimes I actually have trouble getting them unhitched when I want to grab a different trailer.

If you've got an idea that you think will work, then give it a try.
But I think once you get into the details, you'll quickly see what Maxine was up against.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Oh I'm sure it was a daunting task, and I wasn't complaining... I'm also sure I don't have the time or the skill to do what you guys are doing with this game.
I've made simple bboxes before. I know how they work. I've never gotten tangled up in some of the complicated ones I've seen around here, tho.

It's a good thing 640K wasn't 'enough for anybody', eh? We'd still be playing PONG.
:lol:
Jeez-ya mean I gotta explain myself?
I didn't mean for my post to sound condescending or anything.
Just got an idea for a different pintle hitch that would be *visible* and might not have so much slop in it and made something that has coords that could be used and wondered if it would work any better than the drawbar hitches she's currently using. I attached the thing I made for anybody to look at/check out/experiment with.
I didn't come here and say "here-make this", I know better than that. I stuck it up there and said "Hey Maxy-whaddya think?"
Now I know what you think.
I *thought* I was contributing something to the 'holy grail' of Carma editing. Each according to his/her ability, ya know?

I tend to lose trailers descending a steep grade or topping a short hill. The front-to-back slop unhooks 'em every time... But.....You 'da man' here.

Nevermind then. If it already works good enough-so be it. Whodaf*%& am I to say??

/shrug
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I think it works fine, but that's just my opinion.

You gotta right to suggest what you want, I'm just saying BBOXes tend to be tricky especially for something like a hook and latch. BBOXes can be a bitch trying to do a concave shape etc.

Honestly it's a mystery how Maxine did it. Nothing I tried worked for trailers. :confused:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ya I tried to work through what Maxy had done with the drawbar hitch and I started to get off-track every so often. (Trying to go in the order the game wants). The concave shape was optional. The top could just as easily be flat and work the same.
The main thing was the guide ramp/slot and pin hole.

*square-er version of 5th wheel*

5thwheel2.zip
square 5th wheel
(1.81 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
5th wheel
5th wheel
square.jpg (5.88 KiB) Viewed 6086 times
There. That takes out the unnecessary roundness of the *outside* of the box.
The sloping ramp and cylindrical hole are key, though.
How would the order of points have to go (direction/corners)?
I've only ever made simple, 4-cornered boxes. Is it possible to make an odd-shaped box with a cylindrical hole thru it?

I imagine it is. Common sense tells me if a shaped object can be made-so can a bbox for it.

From your experience, what say ye?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Deep_Blue wrote:I imagine it is. Common sense tells me if a shaped object can be made-so can a bbox for it.

From your experience, what say ye?
This is Carmageddon, common sense has no place here. :lol:

A hole qualifies as a concave shape as far as I'm concerned. You'd need to do something like this using 4 or more BBoxes...
5thwheel.jpg
5thwheel.jpg (55.82 KiB) Viewed 6084 times
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

pf :P Yall jsut sit your butts right there im workin' on something.

Seriusly Ive been figuring a way to make this work easyer, Only problem is if you make the coupling more secure, the truck bends too much it tends to.. explode,

Ill show progress soon,
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ah, @ Coffey: OK, gotcha. Now I understand a little more about the 'order' I was asking about.

@ Maxy: OK. Standing by.
I did not know about the explosion risk.

Check who’s online