Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

The cockpit view mod project

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: The cockpit view mod project

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Nice work CWR! :)

About the bonnet model being misplaced and all, lemme quote this:
- EDIT MODE: BONNET -
F4 / SHIFT-F4 : Cycle through edit modes
1 : Move bonnet Forward (X-wise)
2 : Move bonnet Left (Y-wise)
3 : Move bonnet Down (Z-wise)
4 : Pitch bonnet Forward (X-wise)
5 : Rotate bonnet Clockwise (Y-wise)
6 : Pitch bonnet Right (Z-wise)
7 : Compress bonnet Sideways (left-to-right, X-wise)
8 : Compress bonnet Vertically (top-to-bottom, Y-wise)
9 : Compress bonnet Depthwise (front-to-back, Z-wise)
SHIFT-# : Combine SHIFT with 1 thru 9 for reverse actions
F12 : Save changes to bonnet as an .ACT file in the DATA directory.

Explanation of Bonnet Edit Mode: For those like me, who are mechanically illiterate, the bonnet is the polygon you see in front of your car from the internal perspective. This mode edits the size and positioning of this object. (C is the default key to switch to the internal perspective.)
After you're through editing your bonnet, press F12 to save your work, and you'll find an .ACT file in the DATA directory with the same name as the .ACT file your car used (as defined in the car's .TXT file). To use your new bonnet, move it to the DATA\ACTORS directory (thus copying it over the original .ACT file).
Note that some bonnets are used by more than one car, for example, most of the cheat cars use EBONNET.ACT, which belongs to the red Eagle. If you want to rename your bonnet, you'll need to use a hex-editor, such as UltraEdit, to change the internal name. (Regular ASCII text editors will corrupt your bonnet file.)
Files for the bonnet are defined under “Number of pixelmap/material/model files for this car” in the car's .TXT file. There should be three sets of .PIX and .MAT declarations, each, then a set of .DAT declarations and a set of .ACT declarations. Each set contains a file relevent to the bonnet. (This information is useful if you want to swap a car's bonnet.)
Special thanks to QTZ for pointing out what EDIT MODE: BONNET does, and what to do with the file generated by F12.
This is what I always use! Once the bonnet model is made and loaded with the car, I adjust the actor very easily with this mode. (to have access to the modes with F4/SHIFT-F4 you must first type this cheat: IBETYOUCANTPRINTCUNT) Then once the actor is set correctly you just hit F12 and hop it saves it as a new actor which you use to replace the previous bonnet actor file of the car. Typing in a hurry, hope it's clear enough! :grin:
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

I think it's not the bonnet that's misplaced, more that I need to adjust the camera angle when I'm rendering the right view of my 3D model of ChromeGod's interior so that it blocks the hood's edge. More importantly, that it match up with the non-alterable angle of the right view camera in the game.

Bonnet editing is still good information to have.

I also should come up with ChromeGod V3 driver's picture & name for the car choose menu - going through all this work and leaving the driver as Otis is like giving up the race a yard short of the finish line...

Then StiffShifter, mebbe followed by importing SP's Sled into C1 and giving it an interior. 1940s cars had some of the best interiors :banana:
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

I've fixed most of my ChromeGod cockpit issues - not alla the way there yet:

Once I was done palettizing them, the gear numbers looked pretty bad, and I'm thinking of adding a lighting effect to the speedometer. Other than that, just adjusting the camera angles seems to have fixed the odd side views. But at least the damage icons and the tach and steering wheel all line up correctly.
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

Well, this a few minutes of pixel pushing from finished...plus I need to figure out what's up with that weirdness in the upper left of the right view - looks like that's a slice from the front view there (also present in the Tashita's cockpit forward view in both C1 & SP) so that may delay things slightly. I'm happy with the gear numbers and the speedometer lighting - I did see a few crenalated edges I need to smooth...

The left view is unaltered since last post, so this stuff is going off to Toshiba after I fix what I can.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

That non-rendered part on top of the right view is easy to fix.
You need to change the rendering zone set in the CAR HUD TXT file (64x48x8/CARS/CHROMEY2.TXT). The sixth line to be precise :swink: You need to change that 36 value.

Looking at the front and left view, it seems like you'll have to lower those top coordinates a bit too.
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

I've lowered them all and I'm going to test it now. Will it cause problems if, in the opponents.txt, I change the driver's name? That is what determines what's written in the car selection section, right? Currently it lists Otis as the driver and it says something like "ORIGINAL DRIVER WAS OTIS P. JIVEFUNK".

Should I just render out the new mugshot and write the driver's name and let you assemble it?

PS Could you add a window material to Chromey.pix for V2? I want to add the green/blue version of DRSKY back in.
Last edited by CWR on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

CWR, it won't cause any problem to change the driver's name in Opponent.txt. And for the mugshot, you can get the fonts here: https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/R4/PC/Tosh_C1_helpers.rar

I'll edit Chromey.pix later today but I won't disable the SFX volume reflective window, I'll leave that up to modders.
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

That's fine - I'd just like the option of reflective textured windows. I like it to have that 50s/60s aqua green tint to the glass, and since we can't tint the environmental (SFX volume reflective) reflections...we can't tint those, can we?

I messed up my placeholder mug.fli - Carmagedit said there was corruption or sumptin, and then slightly wrapped the image:

So I sent you a few differently sized versions of the final image for the mugshot - I trust you know what's what. Does it have something to do with the first pixel or column of pixels on the left having to be color index #0?
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

Goddam photobucket's crashed my browser out 5 times on me - some WIPs of Stiffshifter's cockpit:

I finally lined up all the damage indicators.

The incorrect viewpoint is less evident here - looks to be from the driver's collarbone.
With the undamaged hood.
With the correct damage indicator.
By making views for ChromeGod V3 I discovered that this views camera angle looks weird because of the interior art, not the camera in the game - judging from the perspective the interior artwork is the view from the driver's 4th rib on the right side, while the game's camera is from the driver's eye line. That 18 inch elevation difference makes it feel like the car is about to tip over.

I really hope we can get accurate bonnet meshes for each car, rather than just going with the closest approximation - I think that's what Toshiba 3 is planning in his release of Gourmet Carmageddon.

Ed Hunter's Hevy Impaler should be a color shift of Otis' interior - like the Leadpumper, they are really similar cars in both elevation and the era they were made - '70s - '80s (from the driver's seat, at least). The Broko looks to be the height of Ivan's Bear, so that's what I plan to base it on.
Eventually I'm gonna hafta try and correct that weird right viewpoint on the original cockpit art, but damned if I know how to go about it...
Last edited by CWR on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

I am impressed now.

you know I really love that interior for the chrome god, and that using otis hood for the lead pumper, and using pitbull hood for the stiff shifter.. something Ive wanted to do for years.. However im not very good at modding carmageddon and I had never been able to get it to work, I like this tho. Allways thought it would be fun to model what the hood view of the cars would look like. Im just thinking up Ed now and his heavy impala. wich in turn could be used for OK. um, yeah rambling about nothing

Nice work!
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

Yeah, unfortunately the only cockpit view showing a hood with blower is Vlad's Annihilator...that ain't gonna work for either O.K. or Ed. Barring me setting up an old PC with Win98, (not happening, I've no room) we'll hafta depend on Toshiba 3, or others who can still convert DAT files and/or run PlayThing 2 to provide us with bonnet meshes.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Ah, allrighy then, Hows this? surprisngly fun too

coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I know you ain't asking me, but I think they look great!
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Thanks sir cup, Im glad someone likes them then :P

I fabricated this fake screenshot to see what it would look like too.

Thred jacking begins,
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

That looks super great! I'm unsure if it would look as good after reduction to the 256 color Carma palette, but it might - it's the reds that the Carma palette doesn't seem to like, after all. My resolution isn't nearly that high, but I'm just running GOG Carma plain on WinXP @ 640x480.

I don't know if bonnet meshes are complexity limited (they sorta look like they are one contiguous surface in the game), or if they can have multiple maps, or even mapping other than projected along the vertical axis - well, Vlad's Annihilator has these things with its bonnet mesh, but I dunno that us modders can manage it. Questions for Mr. Cup and/or Mr. 3?

BTW last I looked, Vlad's bonnet is really simplified, and it's hood map is one of the small 64x64 ones for some reason:
(Perspective on this shot makes it look like ChromeGod is some sort of mudder, it's just Grunge Buster behind him...but it looks so cool that way!)

Thread jackers are welcome.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Well heres a before and after of the pallet,

The other textures are actully from carma so they wont be affected, and the dash I allready made that the same pallet.

CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

Now just need to get them in the game. Currently my process is this: First determine which of the 11 unique cars (+6 or so in SP) that have cockpits best matches your target car - since everything else is adjustable, I go by the closest matching hood or bonnet shape. As an example: to make a cockpit for the Cullwing I would use SP's Porker - this may present problems because being from the expansion you may need to add-on the Porker to the game so Carma can find its assets: I just don't wanna use Otis' interior yet again.

First thing is to go to MERC.TXT in CARMA/CARS/ and backup the original. Then delete the word "not" in "not stealworthy" 9th line. Now the game knows to look in 64x48x8/CARS (don't need the 32x20x8 stuff unless you run the game in low-res) for an identically named MERC.TXT - so go to that folder and make a copy of, in this case, PORK.TXT; R-click, copy, then R-click paste back in the same folder "Copy of PORK.TXT" - rename this to MERC.TXT. This is the same process you'll use for every .pix .mat .act .dat & .txt you'll need to convert a cockpit to a new car.

In that original MERC.TXT, go a few lines down where there's a list of pix, mat, dat & act files - replace those EABGLBNT.PIX and EABGLBNT.MAT with something related to merc using 8 letters or less, like MERCBNT.PIX & MAT - you can also rename EBONNET.DAT & .ACT to MERCBNT as well.
Open PORK.TXT in /CARS to note down the name of the files used in this section (PORKBON.PIX & .MAT and PORKBON.DAT & .ACT). Go to the folders /ACTORS (.ACT), /MATERIALS (.MAT), /MODELS (.DAT), /PIXELMAP (.PIX) and copy/rename the PORKBON files into MERCBNT files.

You should now be able to test this in the game. Depending on the cars swapped, there's likely a height difference as far as where the driver's head is positioned, meaning the height of the bonnet mesh will be wrong at first - Porker's driver Stig sits .071 game units above where Wanda sits in the Cullwing, so the hood is going to be too high. Go into the game on the easiest level and cheat up your car parts so you don't get killed out while editing, destroy enough opponents/peds to gain some time. Type ibetyoucantprintcunt and press F4 until BONNET EDIT appears onscreen, press 3 to lower the bonnet mesh (Shift 3 to raise it) while in cockpit view. Once you have it right, press F12 to save the .ACT file with the new position. This ACT file will be in the DATA folder, with the original name (PORKBON.ACT in this case) rename it to MERCBNT.ACT (again) and copy it back into the /ACTORS folder overwriting the file already there - you can leave the .ACT file in /DATA as a backup, or not. The next time you play the game the hood should be at the height you set.

Now, all the changes needed to create a new cockpit are the pix files listed in the DATA/64X48X8/CARS/MERC.TXT that was the first copy/rename file. Figure out a new name that identifies the pix files as belonging to this new car - for this example, rename EXTDAM93, CKPT93F, CKPT93L and CKPT93R.PIX to something like EXTDAMMC, CKPTMCF, CKPTMCL and CKPTMCR.PIX (you can also change the gear numbers and if there's an analog speedometer there will also be a mask for the bottom of the speedometer called HSPDMSK*.PIX) then go into the 64X48X8/ PIXELMAP folder and copy/rename those .PIX files. Use Carmagedit to export those files and alter them in a graphics program and import them again using the same program.

Somewhere in all that process would be a good point to introduce the new bonnet meshes you've made, but I have no idea where or how...
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Officially too complicated for me.. I cant even find an ED.TXT in 32X20X8/cars Or.. anything in the ed.txt in the regular cars folder to tell it wich to use,

But it turns out most of the dash positions are wrong and way too low anyway, the only one I found to be right was the Cullwing,

The rest are way off Heres Ed, And Kutter,

I just used the car model as the hood, meh, so its got all the car behind it too. I rember doing this a year or so ago too with otis to see how accurate the hood position was,
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I love what you all are doing. I have not edited C1 in so long I think I have forgotten it all. :sad:
I'm running on a limited number of brain cells, and they're already overtaxed.
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

MM, you can attach a zip file containing those 3 hood .dat files (and mebbe StiffShifter if you would) using the 'upload attachment' on this board, and I'll see what I can cobble up. Are you sure you can't delete the polygons behind the hood? I don't know what you are using (PT2 or 3DSMax or ?) when editing/extracting .dat files, so I can't advise - I also don't know nearly enough of what I'm talking about. [EDIT] did you edit the txt files on those cars and substitute EBONNET.DAT with their whole car .dat? That might work, but it might present collision problems as well (if that's how you did it) :oops:

As far as which cockpit to use for a car, you make that decision based on which dashboard graphics make the most sense to you - there's nothing in the regular car.txt that tells you which car to use (your use of Otis' dash for Ed Hunter's Impaler made the most sense to me).

The only cars with .txt files in 320X240X8 (low res) or 640x480x8 (high res) folders are cars that already have cockpit views - you need to copy and rename the one of these that you decide fits best for the new driver's view you are creating. You'd right click/copy Otis.txt from 640x480x8/cars folder and paste it right back there, creating 'copy of OTIS.TXT' which you double-click to highlight the file name and rename it ED.TXT - I'd say to do the same for 320x240x8/cars, but I don't think anyone plays in such low resolution anymore.

I'll make a serious attempt to try and configure my computer and monitors to run PT2 later this evening to see if I can be of more use on that end of things.

Coffeycup, it comes back to you faster than you might think - before you know it, your brain is full of useless C1 editing information and meanwhile you've forgotten how to drive a stickshift.
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

CWR wrote:before you know it, your brain is full of useless C1 editing information
I know that feel. :tongue:

Good luck with the project. :thumbsup:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Mastro 666 wrote:
CWR wrote:before you know it, your brain is full of useless C1 editing information
I know that feel. :tongue:
Hee hee. Yup. If I relearn C1, I will have to forget everything in C2. Can't fit 10lbs of shit into a 5lb bag. :poo:
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

Thanks Mastro - here's a bit more of my process; I export the front view from the pix in the 640x480x8 folder (Pitbull's in this case) and then take a number of screen dumps (heh) from that view in-game with different gears and instrument readings to judge what there needs to be room for:

It's all sized correctly - all 3 views have a 30 pixel overrun on each side so the camera can rattle around during collisions and stunts; the word 'shift' is the best line up point I've found. Early progress on Stiffshifter's interior:

I'm just gonna re-use the original rearview mirror this time.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

CWR, you should try to spend some time on getting PT2 running on your computer. Most of the time all it takes is switching the color depth to 16bit. This would allow you to load the C1 models and detach the bonnet by selecting the needed triangles and isolating them. Doing so would prevent you from using any crush data though.

Or then yes, importing new models, but that's more difficult I think. I often thought about writing a tutorial about making proper C1 addons but that's a lot of work :/

If anything I think I could actually provide you with bonnet models fairly quickly but as I said, they wouldn't deform. Also you'd need to fiddle with the internal bonnet edit mode to adjust them exactly to your new [great btw] cockpits.

@Maxine: Good looking hoods :)
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

I will try to get PT2 working again (still recovering from a dentist visit yesterday). If you could provide bonnet meshes, even if they don't deform, that would be better - I only ever used PT2 for texture stuff back in the day, never 3D; that was done in Max R2 paired with the DAT exporter. I don't mind using the internal bonnet editor to adjust them.

I just remembered that I have the C1 cars in 3DS form - I could edit them down to bonnets in MAX and send them to you to put in the game...?

Great job on the site revamp BTW.
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

I've finished up Stiffshifter's interior for the most part - just need to attend to some minor details and I'll post it:

The damage icons line up fairly well, also:

I'm gonna need to take some time off this project to work on Comic-Con stuff - that's assuming I can stay away :grin:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

That's one very nice cockpit for Stiffshifter :)
I'll try to send you a bonnet model by the weekend.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

CWR, I attached the Stiffshifter bonnet model+actor to this post.

Actor/model is named GRIMMB. It uses the same materials as the complex model.
In the text file, you just have to remove the EEABGLBNT.MAT/PIX references (and decrease the resource count for each entry thus) and then replace EBONNET.ACT/DAT by GRIMMB.ACT/DAT.

Then while ingame type IBETYOUCANTPRINTCUNT, hit F4 until you enter the Bonnet Edit Mode and use the commands I posted above to move the actor. (oh you might want to place the camera correctly on the X axis first though, it's too far to the left by default it seems) One you're done press F12 and it will generate a new .ACT file in the DATA folder, just replace GRIMMB.ACT by this file and poof you're done!
Attachments
GRIMM.zip
grimm bonnet
(1.61 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

Excellent work! I fixed the issues with the graphics of the Stiffshifter cockpit:

As well as fine-tuning the damage indicator graphic:

Now I need to follow these instructions before releasing the final - I have noticed a tendency, while using the Towmeister's bonnet mesh lowered down to the Stiffshifter's height, for the front end to catch on curbs and cause serious damage. This should fix that.
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

Here it is - finished product. Only other thing I can think of that could still be done is to increase the Stiffshifter's pixelmaps from 64x64 to 256x256, so that the hood texture when seen from the cockpit would not be so blocky: the bonnet mesh uses the whole car's maps rather than having its own dedicated map.

Is that possible, Toshiba?
Attachments
StiffshifterCockpit.zip
Stiffshifter Cockpit Views
(113.2 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

I belive the secret knowlage of pix resizing is only known by tosh and econobrick.

I kinda give up with C1, everything I do crashes the game.. OHH you cant do that!? and such.

Will try again tomrow.. I just wanted to turn screwie hood into the kutter one... but Aparently. my changes during Bonet Ed mode. wont save.. so there ya go.
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

It may be a problem with taking the bonnet mesh of such a high-riding vehicle and using it for the lowest car in the game.

I have nothing to back that statement whatsoever - just want to sound like I know what I'm talking about. I do know that Kutter's car is called the Count Slash cuz inna UK they pronounced it "count-tash" but in the US it's "coon-tosh" - so it made sense to the inital core audience of British gamers, not so much to Americans.

I'll see if I can get it working on my copy.
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

Here's the Twister cockpit for the Count Slash - I made a quick & dirty pix for the bonnet, but that's all:

Nice thing is, if you create another external damage icon it is also mid-engined.
Attachments
CScockpit.zip
Count Slash prototype cockpit
(17.49 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

Mad Maxine wrote:secret knowlage of pix resizing
It's not a secret anymore. You need to make a Pixpack with the new size and then replace the old file with the new one.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Carmageddon explodes if I touch it,

Computer says no.

Ill stick to skinning.

Check who’s online