Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Dinosaurs!

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: Dinosaurs!

Post by coffeycup »

A Stegosaurus for us, in Bedrock blue.
stegosaurus2.jpg
stegosaurus2.jpg (50.5 KiB) Viewed 9248 times
The COW animation has a bone for head and a neck. I might try to head and neck animation for the tail.
If I break the tail into two parts it might work. Then use the tail animation for the head.
The head and tail animations usually just wiggle so they're almost interchangeable.

Pterodactyl Flying Drone
pterodactyl.jpg
pterodactyl.jpg (14.1 KiB) Viewed 9247 times
He rides the thermals over the jungle. That's why he doesn't flap his wings, yeah that's it.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

WOOT have it ingame using the Elephant motion. This also makes the Ped very heavy by default... Now I just have to fill some gaps of the body with a little extra geometry because the movement pulls the whole t-rex to shreds...

It looks real cool when it uses the elephants motion standing on it's hind legs, and when it has fallen down and tries to stand up it also looks real neat. To bad the whole ped just sometimes jumps up in the air...
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

In game Steg
Game#128.jpg
Game#128.jpg (442.25 KiB) Viewed 9222 times
Game#126.jpg
Game#126.jpg (376.18 KiB) Viewed 9222 times
I'm going to relax and watch the original JP tonight.
Pip the pest
turbo bastard

Post by Pip the pest »

Bloody brilliant guys. :saston:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Thank you Sir. This afternoon I want to finish off the JP skin I started for your Rover. We can use that in the interim.
Heck it looks good in that livery and can be an alternate vehicle.

Now that we're starting to accumulate files how do we want to work releasing stuff?

- We can just upload individual files here and on our websites and release stuff piecemeal.(I don't mean that to be negative)
- Wait for some kind of map to bundle with. (Proper JP island might take while)

I'm tempted to say just release the stuff as it gets done and let people screw around with it.

As a matter of fact before I jump onto another massive map project I might want to do some smaller
jungle maps to work out foliage and waterfalls that won't take months to finish.

So I tried my own tutorial to try and get mesh out of TerraGen and I cannot get a valid 3DS or DXF out of it.
Terragen exports a lightwave .LWO that is a file size of 2023KB. But when I convert to a 3DS or DFX using 3DWin the converted file is 1KB. That ain't right.

Harm: I thought I remember either you or Tosh mentioning 3DSMax has a heightmap generator? If so could I send you
grayscale or whatever format of the island and output a mesh? Island as far as I can figure is about 8mi x 9mi.
So with some surrounding water map is a 10mi square. I can run the 3DS through a poly reducer so that the grid can be fine enough to pick up details.

I just feel like the heightmap will give a more natural landscape than me trying to do something manually...
Pip the pest
turbo bastard

Post by Pip the pest »

Hi, I would like to see it as one mod ( released in one go) because people will see the progress and maybe even contribute something towards it. I personally have no problem waiting for a JP map, and as they say" all good things come to those who wait" But that is my opinion :smile: hopefully other people will express there's, even if not contributing anything to the mod. :wink:
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

If so could I send you
grayscale or whatever format of the island and output a mesh?
sure you can! :wink:

I also have the whole island already in max, because I ripped that from the trespasser game... heh. That is the one based on the Cocos island, so I guess that is the island you are talking about?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Harmalarm wrote:I also have the whole island already in max, because I ripped that from the trespasser game... heh. That is the one based on the Cocos island, so I guess that is the island you are talking about?
Oh cool. I was thinking of Isla Nublar from the movie
If the vehicles have GPS in them or guard station with consoles the maps will look right.

I found this artwork a guy did to use as a start. What size and format is good?
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

A black and white image where the heights of the map are scale from black to white would be perfect. I tried with the color image, but max needs a more precise b&w image to doe the thing correct.

The dimensions of the map are just fine as they are.

When all works fine, I will make a couple of 3ds files with different divisions, so you can choose what suits you best. It is always a matter of trial and error I suppose. Too many divisions will make the map too heavy for c2, too little divisions will make it look like shit. So I guess we will have to find a nice average.
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

The island looks a bit like Kauai, where they shot some of the film.

coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Harm: ok cool. I will edit the color image. It needs work to be usable.
A couple of 3DS versions sounds good, though an overly complex model I can run through a poly reducer app so that it will maintain most of the details.

Mastro: Yeah, I'll use images from Hawaii for reference.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Harm: Luckily I have other editors I can use to work on the heightmap image. I'll still need to have you generate a mesh,
but at least I can edit the grayscale image and update the model in real time. (I'm using the Darkest of Days editor)
testHeightmapA.jpg
testHeightmapA.jpg (271.66 KiB) Viewed 9139 times
I took this image and made it grayscale, blurred it and added a 'ripple' filter to break up the hard edges (maybe I should've done more).
But still needs a lot of work. The lower elevations have too much contrast between them,
the shoreline too steep. Then the mountains flatten out into plateaus instead of looking like kauai

Also on all the maps you find of the island have a road/path running around the entire perimeter.
So there needs to be beach even where there's steep cliffs. We need to be able to drive on this thing. :smile:
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

Some pics of the Burroughs project:

This map's a mix of old (Thanks to Harm), new and remade models.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Mastro: That's looking interesting. Burroughs project? Edgar Rice Burroughs?

I spent a bunch of time reworking the heightmap. I tried to level it out some where the parkgrounds is supposed to be.

Harm, I sent you the image in PM.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

@Mastro; wow that looks awesome. Good to see the files are working out for you. That track is shaping up real neat. I wonder how many alpha textures you can use before C2 starts messing them up though.

@Coffey; That heightmap sure looks great! It worked like a charm. I bet when this map is textured it will look awesome. Actually Cannot wait to start driving around in it.

I might do some work on the LAB map from trespasser. The level near the ocean where the big containers and the hangars are set. It must be one of the biggest open spaces next to the burroughs area, so it might work out real well for c2.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Great, a couple of different maps to drive on will be awesome! I think they will all have a different feel too so this should be very fun.

I've started collecting foliage textures to use on the base layer of the map. But I'll probably need to make some of my own from aerial photos. I don't need textures of individual leaves, I need clumps of trees seen from above. Luckily I'm getting good at making textures tileable. :smile:

I'm really going to try to make as much foliage as possible without using alpha-channels. I need to make this look like a jungle without a million alpha-channel killing performance. :tongue:
Hairba11
turbo bastard

Post by Hairba11 »

and a half open draw bridge across the bay so we can get our blues brothers on.
maybe a ship/barge in the middle like it is on its way in with a load of underwater ability and ped flamethrower.
boat ramp to get back onto the island from the floor of the bay.
informal circle track around the perimeter of the leveled park, or maybe around the aviary or whatever you would call the cage the Pterodactyls were in.

in the movie the exploders were electric and on a set course, sounds like perfect use for one of the boxy drones with a JP skin,
or if you had it set up like the bruise brothers level and had aggressive opponents, all JP skinned explorer/LR trucks with Dino drivers. wouldn't be able to tell at a distance who was a drone or opponent.

i always have lots of ideas. just short on time and ability.
stupid work always gets in the way of my "real" life :lol:

for overhead foliage pics, couldn't you just screen capture from google maps satellite view?
or bing bird's eye view for more vertical mountain side perspective shots?
If it runs, drives, stops, has a title, AND is under $300, I'll take it!
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Hairball, I like your ideas. Ramps and barges sound good. We already planned on using drone Explorers. And yes, using Google or Bing maps is what I will use to get some foliage textures.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Harm: Thanks for the meshes. I ended up using the 128x128. The 256x256 was beautiful but 131,072 polys. When I ran it through the reducer it got distorted trying to get it under 20K. The 128x128 was 30K to begin with and got it to just under 11K polys after reduction and it looks unchanged.
IslaNublar2.jpg
IslaNublar2.jpg (251.18 KiB) Viewed 9081 times
Made it into a 10mi sq map (island is 9x8) and started slapping textures onto it.
IslaNublar1.jpg
IslaNublar1.jpg (237.54 KiB) Viewed 9081 times
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Awesome! Texturing seems to be going very well for you! That mountain range looks really promising.

Will this area be accessible, or is it merely for background viewing purposes? That would be a clever trick to maintain a nice level of detail, without having to put in 10000's of trees to make the island overgrowth look good.

I made a little start with the LAB map, but already noticed the hardest part will be turning the Terrain data into a nice mesh for c2. At least I got all the resources ready for c2. :wink:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Harm: Thanks, I'm liking how the textures look too. I did try to make textures from Google maps view but couldn't zoom in close enough, not enough detail, so went and found aerial photos from a few hundred feet. Those seemed to work the best. I was thinking the same as you, maybe I won't need to put a bazillion plants if these ground textures can do most of the work. :wink:

I will texture another good chunk and then probably get it in game for a test. That's the only way to really tell. Modeling and texturing from '10,000 feet' is tricky. I might need to re-size the textures like I ended up doing on the Mad Max map.

Going to sorta use this map as a guide for locating buildings and such. I probably need a strategy on how to handle the roads. Making the roads as a separate object that sits on the map is what I think I should do. More conrtol and easier to texture. I think I just talked myself into it. :lol:

You're lucky you have all the Trespasser resources like buildings and props. Though I am looking forward to making a Raptor Pit and the Visitor Center. :grin:

I know what you mean about making mesh nice for C2, I'll need to tweak the mesh here and there, leveling out areas for buildings etc. Also want most of the map accessible, only limited by cliff steepness, so need to have 'ramps' to important areas.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

IslaNublar3.jpg
IslaNublar3.jpg (322.7 KiB) Viewed 9048 times
IslaNublar4.jpg
IslaNublar4.jpg (441.06 KiB) Viewed 9048 times
It already looks 'jungle' to me and I haven't even added any trees or plants yet! :swheel:
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Wow you sure keep this thread alive. :cool:

Are these ingame shots or shots from sketchup? I think this island will look so awesome with that carmageddon fog! Add some trees and dinos in there, lots of rusty elements and I think the island will have that real abandoned feel to it. This has so much potential!

I see you did some texture mixing near the beach line. This works well. The line in the trees, where the lower trees hit the darker on the mountain, is a bit to hard maybe. Perhaps when it will be partially blocked it might not be such a clear edge?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Nice! I'm diggin' it.
:thumbsup:
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Thanks D_B

Harm, those are views from within SketchUp with fog turned on. In game shouldn't look much different though.
I thought two tree textures meeting didn't look that bad. Just a different type of vegetation taking over.
But yeah, there will probably be trees and stuff breaking up the surface anyway.

It's the pits WIP
RaptorPit.jpg
RaptorPit.jpg (114.08 KiB) Viewed 9020 times
Hairba11
turbo bastard

Post by Hairba11 »

looking good, i didn't even really realize those weren't modeled trees. it looked like real trees till you looked at the horizon edge of the mountain. if it is non driveable boundary surface maybe a row or two of trees/bushes just on the ridge would break up the hard lines.
If it runs, drives, stops, has a title, AND is under $300, I'll take it!
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Hairball: There'll be trees and bushes, etc. I still need to finish texturing the base. It'll take a while. What I've shown is one tiny area of a large island. :smile:
JPskins.jpg
JPskins.jpg (320.53 KiB) Viewed 8982 times
If anyone wants this Jurassic Park skin it's here. Works on Regular and Monster Rovers.
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

thnx for that skin cause it seems i totally gave up on creating mine
Still alive some how
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

This is all extremely good looking!
Too bad I can't take part in this project :ssad: Could've at least animated that T-Rex there (Harm sent it two years ago).

These dinosaurs are especially great. That Stegosaurus and Galliminus.
Also I'm grabbing that Range Rover skin.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Thanks man. Too bad you're too busy to contribute.
Well, you can always contribute ideas, we always appreciate that!

I've got houseguests this weekend, so probably won't get much done on this for a few days.
I'll try to sneak away and do some texturing on the map. :smile:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

triceratop2.jpg
triceratop2.jpg (208.89 KiB) Viewed 8882 times
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Awwww, yeah! Sweet model.
I will post some screenies of my progress on the Lab map from trespasser tomorrow. ;)
Pip the pest
turbo bastard

Post by Pip the pest »

Coffey that is Tritastic mate :smile:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Thanks guys. I'll try to get him in game tonight. I guess I'll use the cow animation again for this one.

Check who’s online