Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Exporting headache

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Spectre2011
hit n run

Exporting headache

Post by Spectre2011 »

I'm trying to put a untextured blender model into cared.
My problem is after I export it as 3ds then I go into 3ds max 2 to convert it to ase, and try to use ase2asc, I get a runtime error.

also the alternative I tried was bemax, it just gave me one error but when I try to open it in plaything2 or cared it shows up blank on the screen

I know its mostly my fault,but I'm just posting to try to learn this better.
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: Exporting headache

Post by coffeycup »

Make sure you have everything set right when you export ASE. There's a 'Map.GIF' that should've come with ASE2ASC that shows what needs to be checked.

I get a runtime error if I don't use latest 'ASE2ASC114 fix.exe'
If you still have problems send your 3DS to me and assuming it's set up correctly, get it into CarEd.
Too bad you couldn't export a textured 3DS from Blender, then you could skip CarEd altogether.
Spectre2011
hit n run

Post by Spectre2011 »

Thanks for the tip on that map.gif. The converter didn't show any fatal errors or crashed, but when I open the file in plaything 2 it doesn't show up...oh also I googled that ase2asc fix, I get "sorry page not found" on his download link in the site.
Spectre2011
hit n run

Post by Spectre2011 »

Double post alert! Heh... I stumbled into some info on it, I have to import it in 3dsmax2 and export it as a 3ds, then it will transfer as it should in bemax, now I can access it completely in plaything 2...oh one more thing,
Savage elve's manual on play thing tells me to open up the sdl file, so I did, then I'm told to take some parts of that text
file and make a car txt and wam out of it I think but it doesn't look like it has enough info. (the model I made is a funny shape with a face textured on it, I'm just using it to learn)
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Spectre2011 wrote:Savage elve's manual on play thing tells me to open up the sdl file, so I did, then I'm told to take some parts of that text
file and make a car txt and wam out of it I think but it doesn't look like it has enough info.
Is this your first car? Well it says in Savage Elve's manual that he assumes you're familiar with setting up TXT and WAM. :wink:
I'm not sure what text file you're talking about. SDF isn't a text file. I can post a very generic TXT and WAM if that helps but the paperwork is the last step.

Really, I try to do as little as possible in PT2. So I usually start a fully textured 3DS model (I use SketchUp but can be any 3D app that exports UV mapped 3DS)
SO that when it gets into PT2 all I have to do is wheel setup.
Spectre2011
hit n run

Post by Spectre2011 »

Well actually I have created cars before in just cared, they were tests though.
Anyway yeah there was tools in bemax that came with a txt and wam, I used those but I messed up somewhere.
Those generic txt and wam files you were offering will probably do the trick.
Spectre2011
hit n run

Post by Spectre2011 »

Thanks, I figured out a nice strategy,I make the parts in blender.
then I assemble the rest in cared, then skin in plaything.
So far... I can't make car body shapes in blender, I'll scour some tutorials and maybe even buy a book on blender. in the mean time I guess I'll assemble car bodies in cared.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Here's those generic TXT and WAM files. You need to open them up with notepad and change everywhere it says YOURCARNAME to your car's name.
genericTXTWAM.zip
(3.59 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Spectre2011
hit n run

Post by Spectre2011 »

Thanks, I'm going to attempt a bemax compile just for kicks.
Spectre2011
hit n run

Post by Spectre2011 »

coffeycup wrote:Make sure you have everything set right when you export ASE. There's a 'Map.GIF' that should've come with ASE2ASC that shows what needs to be checked.

I get a runtime error if I don't use latest 'ASE2ASC114 fix.exe'
If you still have problems send your 3DS to me and assuming it's set up correctly, get it into CarEd.
Too bad you couldn't export a textured 3DS from Blender, then you could skip CarEd altogether.
sorry to ressurect a semi old thread, I have actually tried to export a textured 3ds into bemax today, it still needed the material regardless, which is confusing...
Did you mean I cant, or its impossible to texture a 3ds and slap it into bemax?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I never said anything about BeMax. I dont use BeMax, but I know it came with a fully textured sample 3ds to expirement with. Isn't there a 'Limey.3ds' in a sample folder with BeMax?
Spectre2011
hit n run

Post by Spectre2011 »

ok I'll try to learn from that limey file.

Check who’s online