Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Making waves in C2

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Making waves in C2

Post by Razor »

I was thinking about this earlier and was going to draw a mock-up of it but couldn't be bothered, could you crudely simulate waves in an ocean using drones in C2?
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: Making waves in C2

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Why would you want to use drones?
IMO it all really depends of the size of the effect you'd like to achieve.
If you're after an actual animated mesh, that'll be difficult. Giant rotating cylinders are what comes to mind at first.
Personaly I'd go with very animated textures (bits+moving back n forth). Good use of transparency when the waves hit the shore too. Would require a good uvw unwrapping btw.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I like the idea of this thread. But I don't know if I can imagine how drones would be used to simulate waves.
I think a sketch of some sort or describing the effect would help.

If you want waves rolling in, then like Tosh said, rolling cylinders or corkscrews. If you want the waves breaking on the beach,
maybe there's 2 water planes alternately going up and down on Y axis?

Just adding the 'rolling' or 'slither' groove to water texture helps a lot too.

Like I said, I like the idea of this thread. Maybe people who are inclined can post
their solution (sketch, screen, zip) to making waves in C2 not so much a competition but 'hackathon' type thing?

p.s. was think of starting a similar 'Dinosaurs in C2' thread
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

I agree with using a huge rotating model instead of drones, and having a rolling funk for the texture used in the waves.

If the rotating model is sort of a huge gear, then each gear tooth should perhaps be shaped to look like a wide bell curve (to resemble a wave shape). You could also position the gear in a way that the 'waves' sink into the ground just as they hit the beach.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

[youtube]oohx_57BC-k[/youtube]
This is two !Water planes, each has a strip of surf texture that follows the beach outline.
Planes alternately go up and down so as one wave recedes the other washes in over it.
Water texture is rolling, surf texture slithers.

water is perfectly flat here but if you had two meshes with humps and dips that might look interesting as they criss-crossed.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

That looks really neat and actually looks pretty convincing even if it is just flat.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Coffey.. Im dissopointed in you.
Were tlaking about beaches and your working on water rather than bikini boob action?

Anyways... Im going to say this actully looks really neat. I like the diffrent texture towords the shore and the way it moves around, its pretty cool, tho dont know how hard it would be to do for large maps? mabye if its just one edge with a beach or something..
Heres my little imput for waves tho. imagine its a flat shore line with.. walls each side.. Like a privet beach kinda thingm to get rid of some complications

So simple beach with walls blocking each edge to make it simple what if the water was Two wave models that rotated thru eachother (as if they were both on a wheel) like this..

Im not good with maps im just trying to throw usefull ideas in there with yous guys.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

It would work on large maps or an island. You just draw out where you want the foamy surf.
If there were big rocks in the water you could draw a ring around them so there'd be foamy waves around them.

I like your idea of the two waters moving in a circular path like bicycle pedals instead of just up and down.
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

Mad_Maxine wrote:Heres my little imput for waves tho. imagine its a flat shore line with.. walls each side.. Like a privet beach kinda thingm to get rid of some complications
Im not good with maps im just trying to throw usefull ideas in there with yous guys.

Hot tubs, hot babes. I'm home!

Check who’s online