Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

The Trailer Thread

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Mad_Maxine
Pink

The Trailer Thread

Post by Mad_Maxine »

So here it is lets talk trailers,
Ive been testing again and ive managed to make another one that works, only same problems.. It has to be an opponent, For my test Ive changed the frozen opponents powerup to 5 munits, and enter the cheat as soon as I start the game.

All seems good, Truck still dissconects from trailer under a sharp turn, but you can drive with it, and go over slopes, etc, ive tested it driving around Maim Street

So for all who want to play around with all this, and see what you can do you can find a download of this working truck and trailer.. Here. http://www.mediafire.com/?9hcihzq0kdoydkx

Mabye you will be able to fix some problems..

So what else have I tried.. Well I did try a drone as a trailer, but (and I assume it will be the same with noncars) When you connect to a drone trailer. there is NO grip, since its a solid object that slides, and dosent have wheels. the trailer slides around liek crazy and is impossible to keep stright.. Im hoping to make more progress with this.. Trailers allso seem to work better when the game gravity is turnd up.. odbviusly.. it keeps it attached better... Also I did try shared textures But I cant get the brakelights to work on the trailer like that..

Lets Do This!
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: The Trailer Thread

Post by coffeycup »

Ahh, cool. I will have to try this out. But I really gotta not let myself get distracted from finishing the Mad Max map.
I hope some one can come up with a workaround to the frozen opponents. But I suppose if it's just you and your trailer,
taking out peds by fish-tailing through a crowd could be pretty fun, I would think!

Oh, and nice work Maxine, no matter how you look at it, you've managed to do something that NO ONE else has got to work.
People have tried setting them up as flaps/doors without success. They've tried all sorts of things, but nothing has come even close. :beer:
timmy76
motorised death

Post by timmy76 »

Great work max.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Again, great work Maxine. Could these not be set up as cops? Or at least in C1, just set a cop spawnpoint directly behind your car and give yourself the Frozen Cops powerup?
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK, let's assume for a minute that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about...
Oh, wait. I really DON'T know what I'm talking about..
But anyway...Is there a value in the drone's txt that controls how 'slippery' it is along the ground? (assuming there is because the game's gravity changes it, yes?)

Would there be a chunk of the Mutant Tail Thing txt that could be used (I know its been tried before-setting it up like the Tail Thing, but what if ya only could use the part of it's txt that makes it bend at a certain point without it having the floppy Tail Thing physics.? The Tail thing acts like it has 'joints' defined in it.......What if it only had *one* joint? Would it act differently?

OK, OK....I'll STFU now....

:supercrazy:
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
neitronsucks
pedestrian

Post by neitronsucks »

wow, very nice! i'll try that out later!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

I dunno enough about editing really... I'm just throwing stuff out there based on what I've heard people try in the past.. Somebody once set a trailer up as a Tail Thing, but it acted like a Tail Thing...Not good. Mebbe there's some text that defines how the tail thing's s'posed to work/act? Maybe it could be screwed with to work/act differently?

It would make sense to me as pretty much everything in the game's physics is defined by text files.... :confused:
Alex_Dynamite
road raged psycho

Post by Alex_Dynamite »

Yeah, I remember that. While it was possible to pssition everything and turn a link into a believable trailer, the problem was the wheels; the ball would only act like a ball. I couldn't find any settings to change this and is probably hard-coded into the game. The only way the tail could be made into a trailer is if it was to look like a futuristic trailer, running on a single ball instead of wheels, or just making the ball invisible, making it appear to hover. This still limits it's uses, though.

Also, to Maxine: I really like that truck you made there. Just apply the outline trick(often confused with cell-shading) and it would be perfect! :swheel:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Rather than rehash the hash that's been hashed time and again,
I'm takin a spin in my K100 and I think I ain't lookin' back.

[youtube]GulTwdHHehs[/youtube]
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Nice vid coffey, I allready mentioned the skin looks cool in the other topic. but uhm... you inspired me.. first tho..

I see youve played with the settings there.. heres what I did I found if you set the game gravity to 2, and make the trailer lighter, it is much more likly to stay attached.. tho the truck suspension needs ajusting then.. just saying it worked much better for me.

Anyway here ya go.. your not the only one who can make videos and fancy skins :P I had.. to do it too.. With.. hey an australian theame..

[youtube]ekib5lRqkt0[/youtube]

wanted to leave it a surprise to what it was but youtube aparently Ignores my .. Use as thumble image because aparently it sucks.
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

and totally blocks the vid because it has music that it doesnt think we should listen to here in teh states
Still alive some how
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

I go thru the effort of signing up a gmail accound Just so I can use youtube, Just so you peopel can see the videos a little easyer without the whole mass of advertisments that Veoh gives that are worse than youtube.. and it goes and blocks my video in less than an hour.

FUCK YOUTUBE UP THE ASS, in caps. done with that shit again.

So click the link to go to the video on veoh.

Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

Well the youtube vid works fine here.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Haha wow road train!

Oh and yeah, that's why I started adding my own music to vids.
I got tired of it being blocked or getting an ad slapped on it.
neitronsucks
pedestrian

Post by neitronsucks »

I went for a little ride. Very nice! An great job Maxine. I like how it hinges. Looks cool already!

Don't know how, but that would be f-ing awesome if those things will become possible in the game!
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

For years. Years. I have wanted to drive one of those big tanker trucks with the shiny chrome tanks.
I took Maxine's trailer turned it into a flatbed and used it as a base.
Tanker Trailer
Tanker Trailer
Carma2_hw#010.jpg (184.74 KiB) Viewed 7639 times
I was driving around, not really even doing anything that crazy when both vehicles exploded. It was cool.
I was driving around, not really even doing anything that crazy when both vehicles exploded. It was cool.
Carma2_hw#006.jpg (210.32 KiB) Viewed 7639 times
You can download a copy of the trailer if you want to try it. This will not overwrite box trailer.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Double post

[youtube]-QgLQFKL32w[/youtube]
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Heh pretty awsome, a shiney trailer.. strangly I never did think of a tanker at this point.

I was thinking of making a pack of some fairly low polly trucks with interiors and trailers and such..

I do mine now by deleting the opponent paths so I was wondering. when you set a map like.. the bruse brothers to cars spawn on an opponent path point? or just in multiplayer points or something? i dont know how it works.. Becaues im hoping for random scatterd trailers.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Yeah, some tractor cabs with an interior would be nice. Maybe simple models too so you see the trailer in distance.

Explicit opponents spawn on 'multiplayer start points' not opponent path points.
These are start points in the picture using 3 explicit opponent trailers. (Newcity1)

Code: Select all

3						// Number of network start points

22, 4, -53.5								//1

23, 4, -53.5								//2						

24.0, 4, -53.5								//3						
Puts them in parking lot near mouth of tunnel.

Or use the multiplyer start points already in the text. That'll spread them out. But not randomly.
Attachments
Carma2_hw#011.jpg
Carma2_hw#011.jpg (215.62 KiB) Viewed 7555 times
Fireman
motorised death

Post by Fireman »

Wouldn't a map without waypoints simply put the trailers down at explicit opponent spawnpoints without being able to move?

Then you don't have to use freeze opponents.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I think without freezing them they'll attack if you get too close. Not totally sure 'bout that tho. But I think that's why Maxine is deleting the opponent paths.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Nope. Without opponent paths specified in the tracks txt file all opponents stay frozen throughout the race, so that would definitely work
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I tried it out, I'm not totally convinced that it works with the trailers.

It seemed to me, and I'd really need to do retest, but when there's opponent paths and you freeze opponents they put their brakes on. That's why I upped my red line speed on the tractor because it was like dragging around a dead weight.

But without the paths, sure they sit there but if you bump them they roll away in neutral. Once you manage to hook onto one, every time you slow down it rides up your back.
At least that was my unscientific findings. :investigate:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Awesome trailers and stuff, Coffeycup!

Here I fiddled with all this a bit last week but found I couldn't achieve the trailering easily enough ingame. IMO the physics of the trailer provided up there are all wrong. Tweaking them can also make the trailer(s) static very easily.

But yeah, besides using frozen opponents, the only way out is removing the opponent paths. Or else the cheating AI will make the opponents move in our back as we all know.

However, making the trailer appear on a mult. start. point placed right behind the player's start point kinda resolves the issue as well. It's all a matter of choosing the best option :)
The trailer might still do a little hop at first but then it's reminded its physics don't allow him to move at all.

My biggest concern is that the mechanism isn't failsafe and easy at all, I maybe got it to attach once or twice maximum. Are you guys having such a hard time too?
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Actully for me toshy Hooking up is pretty damn easy.

Also I can get the trailers to attach to my truck in carmageddon too.
I dont know if its because I had to change mine slightly with my incresed gravity, or whatever.. but they seem to drop back down into place now.. where as before you would back into them and they would stay lifted untill you hit them again.. But still then I found it easy too.. hell watch the vid :P i hooked 3 trailers togeather. that means reversing the truck and two trailers onto the last one hm.

Anyway Im making a pack kinda thing. with trailers.. and trucks (sorry still no interiors) Im doing that old world game feel, because I like it, and its easy.

So far I have 3 trucks (one being a modified vertion of another) and so far..
2 tankers, 2 box trailers, 1 container trailer, 2 log trailers, and Planning more variaty. such as car transporters, flatbeds wich are easy.. and possibly low loader type items with construction equipment.. and dumptrucks.

Who cares if its not fool proof yet.. i m having fun :P
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I guess I should up my gravity. I can usually get the trailer hooked but it's tricky sometimes.
If the MP start point is directly behind player start point so all you have to do is back straight up, then it's a lot easier.

The trailer pack sounds cool. I was going make more trailers too, but I really got to get back on finishing the Mad Max map.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Well.. Atleast im having fun, I know I said interiors but meh.. I like modling like this.. its why its fun.

My plan was 3 trucks with 3 paintjobs each.. tho whats the last.. I was eaither thinking something like a large kenworth.. or mabye something small.. like a single axel truck.. hm

heh and sorry coffey I compleatly stole your tanker idea,

If anybodys curius the current trucks are a Kenworth K100, and Freightliner Century.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Hold up! whoah whoah whoah Wait a minute minute Jesus Christ.
Yo Maxine,S**t these motherf**king trucks is nice! :lol:

Really looking forward to driving some of these new ones.
neitronsucks
pedestrian

Post by neitronsucks »

:eek:
Super Maxine! Looking tasty :smile: And... so much trailers! Dunno what I want to drive first.
Definetly want a piece of that! That mod, bring it on!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

:rofl: Coffey's buggin' :grin:

Nice, Maxy!
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Tractor Trailer Drones. Doesn't look too bad.
Drones always skid around a corner. :twisted:

[youtube]SVlnCV6GFoY[/youtube]

Back wheels could roll. I just didn't bother since I didn't even know if idea would work.
Maybe front wheels too. Not sure if it's worth it.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yep!
Da trucks!
Bring dem.....

:rockon:
Hairba11
turbo bastard

Post by Hairba11 »

that would look even better on a snow map :D
If it runs, drives, stops, has a title, AND is under $300, I'll take it!

Check who’s online