Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Texture problem when importing into plaything

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Hey guys,

I've been looking on both CWA and CFE for this, but nothing could help me. I have this model from a track that I want to put ingame. Exported it as a ASE, whith the setting CESM suggested. Allready have a folder called TIFFRGB which has all tiff's, and converted the thing to ASC. When I import it in plaything it just does not have any textues. It does show that it includes all materials, but they are just not vissible. Any clue why this is?

[img]http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/824/ ... ressd8.jpg[/img]
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Well, the first thing that comes in my mind is that it'd be in a wrong format. Though PT2 is actually much more flexible than C2 itself. Having an alpha channel creates this effect too.
Sometimes, unsupported uvw maps (it happens but it isn't very likely in this case) may result in this as well.

I'd say, first check that the bitmap in the materials are well linked (via the LOAD button), second open up one of your tiffs and see whether there's an alpha channel or not, if so get rid of it and save the tiff again. Three make sure the TIFF as no compression, is in IBM PC format, 4k for strip size, no preview information, and in Rev6 version (standard). Make also sure that they are in RGB true color (I really guess they already are but we never know...).

Good luck, I can wait to see that track make the jump in C2!!
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Hey thanx Tosh!

It was the alpha channel... :) Easy to solve, if you know what you are looking for... :nyaha: Now I know! :sglasses:
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Yeah, there you have it; My first Carmageddon Track!

only... ITS TWICE TOO BIG... :uho:

I don't know what I did wrong. I had the track scaled in 3d Max according to a carmageddon car, but for some reason, It has been upscaled. Do I have to scale it down more?

A couple of other questions;

There are no pedestrians, even when I did assign them to materials. Does this have to do with the fact that my material identifiers are more than 8 characters?

The ingame map doesn't work. Plaything tells me I should make a tif out of it, but I cant do it with my copy of XNVIEW... It cannot read the file it says...

the checkpoints are also incorrect, i took the coordinates from 3dmax. (in the correct ABCD order) but they allmost seem rotated or scaled. Is there a difference in coordinate size between Max and Plaything?

eh, and yeah, the opponent paths. I made none for now, but is there a fast way of creating a list of nodes?

This is what It looks like right now. I think it looks really sweet allready!

[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/7679 ... bigkp0.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/9451 ... ig2wl4.jpg[/img]
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hello~

Yeah scale it down, just use SHIFT+G and don't forget to check that apply to hierarchy box.
For the peds, you need to preprocess the track ! I think Econo made a tut about that somewhere, maybe it's part of C2S's track making tutorial.
For the tiff you need XnView 1.68, I think it's still possible to find it on the net, else I'll send it to you~

As for coordinates and paths etc, I think the best way is the hard way, taking the coords in PT2, once you get used to it, it goes pretty fast. Ofcourse you can still try to manage your max scene so that it fits the same measures as the PT2 scene (and orientation along the axis too!) but that can be tricky etc. But if you go for that duplicating dummy boxes along the paths will ease your work, if you see what mean~

Also don't make too much nodes for the paths, there's a simple AI that manages the opponents reaction so that they can follow it relatively fluently. (does that make any sense at all?!)

You can check my track txt files if needed, you'll see that I often duplicate the paths but change the type (0/1) of the segments.

Cookies for you to have ported a track in C2 ! :cookie2:
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Yeah! cookies! :nyaha:

Ok, well I have the scale right, by trial and error. But I find it weird that it had to be rescaled because I used one of the carmageddon cars to scale the model with. And this carma model was directly imorted...
Also, coordinates from Max need to be inverted in the Y axis? (I mean Z becomes Y and then negative...?) But at least now I can take the coords from Max :grin:

anyway, I'm still having trouble with the ped. It keeps asking for a texture it cant find, even when it is there and I preprocessed the track. I says it can't find the MAT file, but plaything also didn't automatically generate Mat's for me. It only generated PIX files in the PIX16 map.

any ideas what causes the ped problem (I followed the track making tutorial correctly, I'm sure of it.)

Oh yeah, and no powerups yet... and no pedpaths yet...Geez, it's unfinished! :decu:

[img]http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/8678 ... oodzb3.jpg[/img]

I really like the fact that I can make stuff for carma now! Never thought it was relatively easy though. Thanx to all the tools people created... And the tutorial off course.
cesm20
turbo bastard

Post by cesm20 »

[quote]Also, coordinates from Max need to be inverted in the Y axis? (I mean Z becomes Y and then negative...?) But at least now I can take the coords from Max cfe_01[/quote]
My ase2asc tool does that part automatically, unless you disable that function in the program... lol

By the way i really have to make a remake of this tool, now in visual basic .net 2008, since now i understand even more about visual basic.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Hey Cesm,

yes it does do the flipping of the axis, but I meant taking the coordinates from MAx directly for using as a path, and for checkpoints. It saves me the time of moving around in Plaything, u see? :nyaha: Though, I believe I still have to learn to use plaything a bit more...

And I don't really think it needs a new interface. It would be nice, but the tool works great the way it is you know... :tup: But if you want to do it, would be nice I guess.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Yeah seriously, the tool is perfect as it is. I don't see how it could be improved.
I'd rather look forward for a new PT2 release from you :funnyteeth:
cesm20
turbo bastard

Post by cesm20 »

Yes you two are right, indeed, meanwhile i was thinking better, and i was thinking to give priority to the pt2mod project, and delaying the ase2asc remake for later... I mean later, because the problem is that i DON'T use vb6 anymore so i will NEVER update this vb6 version again... I mean i have to do a LOT of changing in the code to compile this on vb.net 2008 and i would prefer to remake it from scratch than doing that...

But tell me, the tool is really working well ? I am very happy about that, since indeed i would like to start coding the pt2mod now, and i mean, that project of doing a vb.net program as a launcher and memory resident program so that we can interact with plaything2 a lot better without using external macro programs.

Unfortunately the old pt2 auxiliary program was in vb6 too and i have to remake it too, but it's better like this, that way it will be more optimized. After that i will also take care of the wiki again.

Check who’s online