Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

[HG] My Garage : Revolt Cars

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
Halogaland
turbo bastard

Post by Halogaland »

So here we are, I've begun to convert a car from ReVolt :
Adeon.
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/7926/problemet.jpg
Here I ask you if the car is well placed (I've not rotated it for the oment)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

I really cannot tell by looking at the images. Best way to check is export it and open it in plaything. Then import another car and see if the nose is in the same direction.

Can you open up Revolt track files in Zmodeler?
Halogaland
turbo bastard

Post by Halogaland »

I'm not sure I can open them, I'll ask RV community

Edit : I have asked, and one of this community (KDL) answered me it was possible, how, I don't know LOL, but it is possible, I'll know how, and then I'll tell you :)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

No one uses ZMod to create C1 cars so we won't be able to tell you if the placement/rotation is correct etc. It doesn't matter anyway! Most of the scale/position/rotation part will be done in PT2. I can already say that the wheels must be placed ON the x,z axis. Making actors will center the meshes in PT2.

What you should do first IMO: have a look at what the textures will look like in the C1 ingame palette :)

Also the polycount of the wheels is completely ridiculous...
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Halogaland
turbo bastard

Post by Halogaland »

What do you mean on the axis x,z?
And for the polycount of the wheels, I should have how many poly? Per wheel? And don't worry for the rotate and scale, but it was for the CoM, you said me it was advised to put the car on the center, and not as I've done for Wellington :s
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Sadly, Mastro doesn't setup C1 cars properly, he does it the C2 way.
And you don't understand the difference between Actors and Models in C1/C2. So it's kinda difficult to explain etc.

Here you centered the whole car on 0,0,0. Actually the wheels must touch the x/z plane, not be under it.
In PT2 when you setup the car properly, you must move each Model to 0,0,0 and then move them back as Actors to their right position. This way every mesh is centered on 0,0,0 and Actors do their job by virtualy showing these models at specific coords.

And just look at the pic you posted, it clearly shows how the wheels are way too high poly in comparison to the rest of the car which is nicely lowpoly. One would even expect some rim details with such a side count. I guess 10 or 12 sides would be way enough.
Halogaland
turbo bastard

Post by Halogaland »

Here I am in PT2 :
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9242/helpjla.jpg
Would it be nice for the .ACT file?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Nope. You don't understand :D It is very difficult to get though.
ACT and DAT files work together so you can't generate an ACT file without the DAT file etc. You're creating a set of file.
I don't have much time to explain right now, else I would have.
I think I already said it once but simply import a C1 car in PT2. First the ACT file and then the DAT file and then you'll understand. ACT file has the infos about the actors in the scene, DAT file is the model library. The entries in the ACT file use centered models from the DAT file and place them at specific coords., with a precise scale, rotation, pivot etc.
So in PT2, the car must APPEAR on the x/z plane with everything in position, but actually the models are centered on 0,0,0 and this aspect is only visible if you import a C1 DAT file without the actors infos.

All in all, I think it'd be better for you to understand a bit more about the technology behind C1/C2. As C1 modding is way less user friendly it seems like a good first step IMO.

Ofcourse you could do the setup like a normal C2 car, but it wouldn't be right and would behave incorrectly at times ingame.

BTW in PT2: moving a Model is SHIFT+T and then you force the identity matrix. When you move the Actor back it's ALT+T.
Halogaland
turbo bastard

Post by Halogaland »

Ooooooh well, now I see :D
But I have an idea, can't I have the Adeon in PT2 like all the cars in .ACT, and save the SDF file. And then Can't I move only the .ACT in a folder, just by copying it and pasting it, and then reopen the car in PT2, move all the parts to 0,0,0, and then resave and keep the DAT?

I've thought his just by seeing a car :s
Halogaland
turbo bastard

Post by Halogaland »

LOL you'll laugh on me T.T
I really can't understand, even with TSS tuto, or what you told before just before, so i post here where I am
http://www.mediafire.com/?ki9gk2b86moco41
even the texture doesn't work, I don't know why...
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

The tutorial at TSS isn't good IMO as it implies the C2 setup way you see? Also it says nothing about renaming Models etc. which is another very important aspect of the C1 setup.

Why do you have everything already prepared for the C1 hierarchy? You should still be in PT2 at the moment! You have one empty pixelmap entry in the text file (set to 0). All coords in the mechanics are set to 0 too! I guess it is temporary but really finish the PT2 setup first.

GADEON.PIX only goes in 32X20X8\PIXELMAP btw.

As I said I don't have time to write a complete tutorial right now. Even explaining the PT2 part would take quite some time and motivation, so you either wait a bit or you figure it out by yourself by looking at existing cars. Sorry that I can't be of more help at the moment. Until then you can go for the C2 setup I guess, or Mastro might help you.

As I had said in your other topic, it really isn't as easy as C2 cars. Older game, older constraints.
Halogaland
turbo bastard

Post by Halogaland »

I can wait ;) that is not a problem at all :)
Halogaland
turbo bastard

Post by Halogaland »

Finally got Adeon car ingame! ^^ thanks to Mastro666 for his great tuto which really helped me :D
[img]http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/8043/dump0002.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/2299/dump0001.jpg[/img]
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I see you posted the link to your C1 car on the carma.com but I'll reply here.

First thing, with the final archive don't forget to put the folders within the DATA folder. Also it's MATERIAL and not MATERIALS, you go too fast ;) GADEON.PIX only needs to go into 32X20X8\PIXELMAP, no need for it in 64X48X8 (menus are always 320*200). The damage mask is always a good plus.
BTW why are you playing in 320*200 mode?

The car is too big, you scaled it like a C2 car while C1 cars are smaller. Also quickly put a texture under the car ;) you can use the usual C1 BGLUNDER.PIX. You should be able to apply it quickly in PT2. Duplicating the whole model for the bonnet model is a bit silly, it takes 30seconds to delete the triangles that aren't shown.

You know, so far C1 modding was kinda elitist stuff, and not applying to some standards might not look too well. This ofcourse applies to Actors setup but this is less noticeable at first. However where you could work things out a bit more is in the menu visuals: try to present your car in the car mug as other cars and don't forget the name (you can find the fonts in the Tosh's C1 Helpers pack at RR2000). Same goes with the driver mug, try to add the transparent frame and the name under it.

Now Mastro's tutorial might help you get your model in C1, but as I said this is the C2 way and it is not very good for C1. This imply several problems: the biggest one is that you guys don't rename the Models and thus the wheels of your car might be different when the car will be loaded as an opponent. So for example the Actor is obviously named FLWHEEL.ACT but the Model should be named ADEO_FLW.DAT. The other problem is that the whole car actor isn't centered on the origin correctly, I've already talked about this. This is ofcourse a very abstract concept but it has effects on the ingame physics (uncentered bbox) and some other renderings like in the garage after the race where the car won't rotate around its center (as you placed the "center" under the car).
BTW no need to take component center coords by hand, you can use PT2's setup car function.

So making correct C1 cars is even more difficult than this :B
I'll make a tutorial with pics someday, just need a lot of motivation...

Oh and finally you'll notice how there's much less real feedback on C1 cars, even though it represents more tedious work than a C2 car.
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

[quote=Toshiba]This imply several problems: the biggest one is that you guys don't rename the Models and thus the wheels of your car might be different when the car will be loaded as an opponent. So for example the Actor is obviously named FLWHEEL.ACT but the Model should be named ADEO_FLW.DAT.[/quote]
This is something VERY IMPORTANT I forgot to mention.

[quote=Toshiba]Oh and finally you'll notice how there's much less real feedback on C1 cars, even though it represents more tedious work than a C2 car.[/quote]
Yep. C1 stuff is not very popular and it's too damn hard to do.
Halogaland
turbo bastard

Post by Halogaland »

i've changed the names of the .dat, .act names with frhed ^^
Halogaland
turbo bastard

Post by Halogaland »

Did some changes for C1 Adeon :
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/7869/dump0000.jpg
http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/2299/dump0001.jpg
Reduced the size + rename the wheels.dat files
I renamed them like that :
FLPIVOT -> FLPIVAD
FRPIVOT -> FRPIVAD
FLWHEEL -> ADFLWHL
FRWHEEL -> ADFRWHL
RLWHEEL -> ADRLWHL
RRWHEEL -> ADRRWHL
is that ok?
+ a texture for the under car

I just have to reposition the 3D inner camera
+ FLI and the mugshot with the carma's fonts
Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

Neat! I guess it's not important since everything looks to be working fine, but for future reference, it's not necessary to rename the FL & FRPIVOTs...since they're empty actors (technically), they can't get mixed up with other cars. Otherwise, you got it. :B
Halogaland
turbo bastard

Post by Halogaland »

Here it is, I've also converted RC Bandit from Revolt to C1 :
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/8043/dump0002.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5630/dump0003t.jpg
But I have some questions ;
How to make appear the wheels in cockpit camera?
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7880/dump0004.jpg
And what is the system for working suspensiosn?

I think I'll do packs when upload :
Rookie
Amateur
Advanced
Semi-pro
Pro
and Special.
Halogaland
turbo bastard

Post by Halogaland »

Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

You know, off the top of my head, to get the wheels working properly to show on the cockpit view you just have to have the pivots and front wheels (added to the bonnet model) named the same as what the exterior has. That should do it, if you're interested.
Halogaland
turbo bastard

Post by Halogaland »

WOW, that is as so simple as this OO XD, that's cool, I was excepting a thing largely harder haha
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Ah great stuff HG
Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

Erm... turns out that's wrong. I guess I should have actually checked it out instead of going purely on memory?! Especially since it's something I've never done?! hehe

Anyway, it's not much different.
The wheel and pivot actors for the bonnet model should be prefixed with an "I", so the text file would look like this (the part just before funks & grooves):

4 // Number of steerable wheels
7 // GroovyFunkRef of 1st steerable wheel
8 // GroovyFunkRef of 2nd steerable wheel
21 // GroovyFunkRef of 3rd steerable wheel
22 // GroovyFunkRef of 4th steerable wheel

and for the grooves:

START OF GROOVE
FRPIVOT.ACT
not a lollipop
constant
straight
absolute
rock
absolute
y
NEXT GROOVE
FLPIVOT.ACT
not a lollipop
constant
straight
absolute
rock
absolute
y
NEXT GROOVE
IFRPIVOT.ACT
not a lollipop
constant
straight
absolute
rock
absolute
y
NEXT GROOVE
IFLPIVOT.ACT
not a lollipop
constant
straight
absolute
rock
absolute
y
NEXT GROOVE
RRWHEEL.ACT
not a lollipop
constant
straight
absolute
spin
controlled
x
NEXT GROOVE
RLWHEEL.ACT
not a lollipop
constant
straight
absolute
spin
controlled
x
NEXT GROOVE
FRWHEEL.ACT
not a lollipop
constant
no path
spin
controlled
x
NEXT GROOVE
FLWHEEL.ACT
not a lollipop
constant
no path
spin
controlled
x
NEXT GROOVE
IFRWHEEL.ACT
not a lollipop
constant
no path
spin
controlled
x
NEXT GROOVE
IFLWHEEL.ACT
not a lollipop
constant
no path
spin
controlled
x
END OF GROOVE

So, it's the same method used for the suppressor's 4-wheel steering, only here, the 2 other steerable references are for
the cockpit view.
Halogaland
turbo bastard

Post by Halogaland »

Hihi ^^ don't worry, I had noticed that before you post that XD, I've seen first that the wheels with extorior view didn't turn, so I had understand why (identical names pb :D) and then I compared with buster.txt, and I saw also why the wheels didn't turn at interior view :D
But thanks any way :DD
Halogaland
turbo bastard

Post by Halogaland »

Halogaland
turbo bastard

Post by Halogaland »

Hey, I have a problem with one car (Colonnel Moss from RV), I've imported it... and it works fine... when it's me who drive it, but it can't be played by opponent: when I launch the race, we arrive on the start grid menu, then you choose your place (it still works fine), but when I launch the game, PAF!, it crashed, do you know why?
If you don't, I'll redo completely the car
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I guess it's the C1 port, well there might be a lot of causes to such an issue. First one being an error in the setup but again you guys C1 setup isn't proper so I guess it might be related to actors handling or something.
I've encountered that kind of issue when doing tests. I was trying to share a bigger pix pack between several addon cars so checking the pixpack might be a start? Does it have a lot of textures? (I guess not if it's a R-V port)

Btw I have a question, is it normal that most of your cars have a weird scale? i.e. they all seem to big imo, esp. the R-V ones. It looks like you're using the C2 scale.
Halogaland
turbo bastard

Post by Halogaland »

I resolved The C.Moss problem, that was a .FLI problem, but it has been resolved, but I can't remember how XD (2 weeks in spain, and I resolved the problem 3 weeks ago :P)
Yeah I thought also they were big, I decreased their size 75% whereas I reduced 73% for C2 lol, I'll try 76%.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

We usualy use an original C1 model (temporarily imported in PT2) to scale the model or get the scaling factor to apply in the modeing program.

Check who’s online