Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Highway To Hell/Anarchie Road track WIP progress...

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Highway To Hell/Anarchie Road track WIP progress...

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK...Lemme see if I can get images to work...

Here's what I got done so far working on it evenings after work and on weekends when it's raining or such shit.
BustedHill.jpg
BustedHill.jpg (82.13 KiB) Viewed 21895 times
Highway to Hell.jpg
Highway to Hell.jpg (57.03 KiB) Viewed 21895 times
Now I'm gettin' old and I ain't as good at this stuff as you guys nowadays. (I also don't have lotsa time to dedicate to this at once)

I'll probably need some tips on making road surface textures (lined roads-how to model them and texture them so they're not all stretched and screwy looking...The road textures on there now are temporary just so I can tell they're roads in CarEd. I started small so I have to stop and rescale stuff now and again (I import a C2 Cadillac into parts of the map every so often so I have a size comparison to the terrain.)

Any tips/details/corrections would be appreciated.

Like I said before-I can only build the model...Somebody else would have to make it work ingame.

So far I've got Silverton Rd. out to the Mundi Mundi Plain mapped out and part of the Barrier Highway from out yonder to where it passes directly through Broken Hill.
I need an idea how to make believeable trees and shrubs...There's lots of them out there in the mapped area. Any advice is well appreciated. I'll keep ya tuned in as I progress...

D_B
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: Highway To Hell/Anarchie Road track WIP progress...

Post by coffeycup »

Interesting. So you are going to do this using CarEd? It will be hard, if not next to impossible to do road lines, unless you want to create a bunch of road section textures rotated to different angles.

The problem with using the Google satellite photos is they look good at 10,000 feet but look like patchwork quilt at ground level.

As far as individual trees go you can do the usual two intersecting planes with transparent textures like the C2 trees are. Or you can do a single plane and in PT2 you set it as a sprite that always faces you.

For distant trees do a wall with repeating tree texture. Like I did here

I still think you should use some other editor
autopilot
Travelling Scrap Heap

Post by autopilot »

i've made several maps in cared cause I guess like deep blue i was too old and short of patience to try and learn some other modelling program, took me long enough to learn car ed, I remember I tried 3dsmax long ago and it was confusing as hell, think I kinda learned to texture with it for some tdr cars I did, but I wouldn't remember how to use it if I tried today, I dont know its been so long maybe they made a idiot version of 3d max now, I just don't have the interest to do this stuff anymore though, heck I'd have to try and dig up a vintage 1999 computer just so i can play any of these games without installing 30 different patches to try and make a simple game work.

So its possible to make a map in car ed, you sure as hell can't texture a map with it though, just gonna end up looking like smeared diarrhea.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Good to know I'm not the only one who felt at a total loss trying to do anything in 3DSMax. And it's not like I haven't used 3D modeling apps in the past.
I had said to D_B on another thread that if he wanted to build the map in CarEd (untextured) I offered to import into SketchUp and do the textures. :oops:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Hmm... Well CarEd is the only thing I've ever learned to model anything in-pretty much for the same reason auto said. I'm really freaking old... Like "Gran Torino" old. I just don't have the time or the patience to learn much of another proggy. I have 3ds Max 3 and it just confusses me.

If anything I could do the crude textures in CarEd(like I'm using the crppy road texture for a placeholder now.) just as a reference as to where stuff goes (I'm sure it would be lost in exporting anyway). Yer right about the textures in Google Earth. I notice the patchwork appearance. I can try smoothing and clarifying stuff for up-close viewing. What would be a good way to make textures tht wouldn' look shite up close? I mean other than trying to draw them? (Road surface/grass/scrub/dirt, etc.)
Any prticular resolution I should start with if using a photo texture? What about if I broke a photo of, say dirt with wheel tracks all over it and did small sections at a time to keep the resolution high? I dunno... It doesn't make sense to model a desert that can't be textured like a desert. I'd rather not use "Sand Doomed" textures from C2 as they're kinda generically lame. I guess for roads I could make angled textures (because the roads don't go straight X and Z)
Last edited by Deep_Blue on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Well, even if you zoom in like 200ft and break it into a bazillion 256x256 squares it'll look patchy. (see below)

I think you can make repeating textures believable, Just don't slap the same texture on one large area. Break it up so high spots use a scrub texture, low a sandy one and then a variety of textures to break up middle ground, dirtfield, gravel etc.

Use the satellite pix if you want, I just don't think they'll be crisp no matter how close you zoom in.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yeah, Coffey. I know bout breaking textures up to keep it believeable.

I just may have to start over. CarEd burped on a save last night and now what I've done won't load. I beliee I've buggered the backup I saved, too. (Finish>save primary>save backup>screw up both files.) Dammit. I have Sketchup and Zmodeler. Wish I knew how to use either of them. Maybe I'll start screwing arouns with one of them and see what I can figure out. Either that or I hafta start plotting points again. Nonetheless, a start-over is in order.

(CarEd loads to the point where the 3D window should load and then hangs. Already checked for proper .tif sizes and all is well so I dunno what I did wrong or even if I did.)
Oh well.. Good thing I like doing this.
*Edit* Back on track. Making the map larger and roads more accurate. Saving the damn files in several places in case CarEd does it again. ;)
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK. Got roads mapped out-working on landscape now. No pics yet. Stay tuned.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK. Got the Mundi Mundi Lookout/mountains/plain modeled to Silverton.
MundiMundi
MundiMundi
MundiMundi.jpg (17.24 KiB) Viewed 21759 times
Started modeling buildings along the road in Silverton (There's a black interceptor replica parked in front of the Silverton Hotel on Google Earth...Hmmmm.)
Buildings
Buildings
Silverton.jpg (12.26 KiB) Viewed 21759 times
An idea of the scale of things...

Silverton with the mountains in back:
Silvrtonscale.jpg
Silvrtonscale.jpg (16.22 KiB) Viewed 21759 times
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

This is the other end of the map (so far), which at this time consists of only roads to Broken Hill and west:
Other end of map
Other end of map
Otherend.jpg (18.07 KiB) Viewed 21759 times
One question...How do I define map edge boundaries (visually/physically)?

C2 maps have really high rock walls or mountains....Deserts don't have those....

I'd either hafta cheat and make some high rock walls or just use a clear texture at the boundary and place a "Restricted Area" sign some distance before the clear wall.

That'd make for a helluva "gotcha."

:grin:
autopilot
Travelling Scrap Heap

Post by autopilot »

I guess you'll kinda have to get creative for that, how 'bout an old broken down train blocking one of edges?
All the stock maps just kinda had big rock walls as you said, mountains or water.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yeah, no doubt. I'll come up with something. I do like the clear wall idea, though.

Heh. "Restricted Area.....And We Really Mean It."

LOL
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Rectangles....Lots and lots of rectangles....

Got terrain pulled up as far east as Silverton. Just finished flat land in between most of the roads and all dry creek beds and most of the town of Silverton.

To get an idea of the scale-the map is zoomed all the way out to the max in CarEd. Roads are very tiny from this perspective.

First shot is Silverton looking northwest toward Mundi Mundi Lookout and the mountains.

Second is Silverton looking south-southeast toward Broken Hill and The Pinnacles.

More to come. Still trying to figure out some ways to 'end' the map boundaries and keep them believeable.
Attachments
SilvertonNW.jpg
SilvertonNW.jpg (25.85 KiB) Viewed 21710 times
SilvertonS.jpg
SilvertonS.jpg (22.95 KiB) Viewed 21710 times
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Nother update. Had some time this weekend.

The view from Max's lookout on the pinnacle and the refinery:
refinery.jpg
refinery.jpg (53.92 KiB) Viewed 21660 times
perspective.jpg
perspective.jpg (40.81 KiB) Viewed 21660 times
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ha ha, that isa huge looking map. I'm glad you have the refinery compound in there. I just hope the stupid AI doesn't get stuck in the ditch around it.
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Post by random_monkey »

That's one of the worst Carmageddon screenshots I've seen, DB. ;D

Still, looking pretty cool! - I'm surprised you've not cut your wrists yet. I've tried modelling a big map in CarEd before and it didn't go very well ;<
random_monkey
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

heh. @ R_M: The only part I really hate is having to select every point on the map to move it to where I wanna work next. It takes something like ten minutes so far to select all the points. I know I coulda prolly knocked something out quicker in another proggy but CarEd is all I know how to use.

Ya, Dat is a sucky screenie, but I can't texture the map in CarEd. It chokes on all the road segment images and the roads aren't even finished.

Still looking for ways to put physical boundaries on the map.

I'd hafta say th most tedious part is the big, wide open areas...just rectangles after rectangles of polys. Don't wanna really make BIIIIIG polys as Cared pukes on those too.

Oh yeah....Coffey said something about texturing it. I'm making stuff like this, too to kinda keep it real.
Highway fatality sign
Highway fatality sign
fatalsign.jpg (13.45 KiB) Viewed 21622 times
I wanna set it up sorta with elements from MM1, MM2, and if I could get away with it-a fortressed city or two a la "Ruin-Nation."

Seein' as that never happened I figured I could give it a nod this way and then I wouldn't have to model the entire town of Broken Hill.

Whaddya think? Some dilapidated buildings outside a high wall around the town along the route through Broken Hill?

Yea or nay?

Anyways....Back to plottin' points. ;)
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Yes to dilapidated buildings. Smashable fences.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK. Ten-four.

I can model 'em but somebody else has gotta set 'em up. I know diddly about setting up tracks but I can fer sure model stuff in CarEd. ;)

Rundown buildings: check.
Fences:check.

Coupla strategically placed wrecks:check

Any other ideas?
pileup
turbo bastard

Post by pileup »

explosive oildrums in some places, a crashed plane for the fun of it :tongue: and maybe some ramps to hit?
running people over.. so many peds so little time...
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ya, pileup. Dat sounds goodly.

Lil MM3 in there for good measure, eh?

I like the ramps idea and had actually made one just 'cause I didn't know what else to put there. Prolly will be another one on Mundi Mundi Lookout (where Wez ramped the wrecks).

Other than that, I'll think of something like strategically placed terrain elements that can act as ramps.

Did anybody ever make a model of the Mack DM series truck that was in MM2?
Far as oildrums,
I can model 'em, but somebody else'll hafta set 'em up to act right.

Right now this thing appears to be kinda colossal-sized. Takes a long time in retarded CarEd to select all the points and move the map to where I wanna work on it.

Wish I knew how ta model using some other proggy, but oh well....
Alex_Dynamite
road raged psycho

Post by Alex_Dynamite »

Did anybody ever make a model of the Mack DM series truck that was in MM2?
Well, as far as I know, no one made an exact replica, but I had modified TTR's Meg Dog into a tanker, which was then turned into a parody of the Mad Max Mack by Maxine and TTR.

https://ttr.cwaboard.co.uk/carma2.html
Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

Oh but they have! Years ago, at that!
See?
Slayer made it. It was never available on Crashocalypse as far as I know, but it does exist.
AND I know for a fact it was sent to a few people over the years, but I don't remember who...and who knows if they still have it!

Check your car folders for a "76mack"...if you have that, you have the truck.
It's not great, but what do you expect from a car made in late 1999 or early 2000? :B
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ah. OK Econo. I was wondering because I wanted to just use the shell (noncar).

Chances are I'll just make my own super low-poly shell Mack and trailer.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Didn't Hellspawn port to C2 the one (Mack) that was made for TDR?

Crazy project there D_B! Especially the fact you're using CarEd for such a huge scene.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Hi Tosh.

Yeah, CarEd is all I know how to model in. Coffey has volunteered to tex it afterwards 'cause CarEd will puke on that much data.

I figured I'd try to model a map nobody's done yet. I hate the tight, square-cornered C2 maps.

I like to wind it up and just drive, flat out without banging into stuff other than opponents. (One of the things I liked so much about the C1 tracks!)

I've taken a couple day break from it temporarily but will prolly get back to it this weekend.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

CarEd texturing is slowly plodding along...

I hafta leave only one component visible to save the file now as CarEd pukes when displaying a bunch of textures.

The textures I'm using atm are swiped straight out of Google Earth, so they look all patchwork and shite. I can smooth them in PSP so they're a bit nicer at ground level.

The neat thing about the size of this model is that the overall patchiness isn't so visible at ground level-so far.

Still can't see it all in PT2....WTF?

I may soon reach the point where CarEd won't load it/save it anymore for the textures.
Maxmap-Northwest from Broken Hill fortress
Maxmap-Northwest from Broken Hill fortress
Northwest.jpg (32.12 KiB) Viewed 21431 times
Maxmap looking west-patchy Googley Earth textures-at least I got 'em to stick.
Maxmap looking west-patchy Googley Earth textures-at least I got 'em to stick.
West.jpg (57.36 KiB) Viewed 21431 times

Might need somebody with a better proggy to help out here soon. (Trouble is, I dunno how to model in anything else but CrapEd.) Coffey? What say ye I should do next? (You know better than I how to work with this stuff...) I'm still pretty much working on just the terrain.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Are those pics what state is now? Is it all built out?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Nah. I was just trying to texture what I got already, but I'm prolly gonna hafta lose all the textures so the model will continue to work in CarEd.

I'm still working on terrain-There's still a whole 'nother chunk off to the southeast I've only got a sigle road running thru yet and another chunk that'll angle off to the southwest a ways.

East and west is kinda where I'm at a loss as to how to properly 'end' the track. I may just have to model a rocky bowl all around it and call it a day.

It isn't gonna get much bigger than it is. I still have to add features such as treeline blanks, tree shapes, a couple noncar vehicles (stationary) and a few more simple buildings (oh, yeah...and the entire town of Broken Hill-or at least the parts ya can see thru the gates, anyway.

Like I said, I was gonna make Broken Hill a walled city. That way I wouldn't have to duplicate every building and yard in it, as they are kinda irrelevant to a Carma race anyways.

I was just gonna detail the ground a ways just inside each gate and put up facades that looked like the parts of the town ya could see through the wall.
The race would take place outside the walls in the wasteland.

Whaddya think? Or should I just do away with Broken Hill altogether and just keep the terrain continuous?

Anyway, I'm nowhere near done modeling yet. It's taken me this long just to make the terrain ya can see in the pics.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Hey, Coffey...

OK. I got this problem, see...?

It takes me, in CarEd-an hour and a half to select all the points on the model so I can move the map around to work on it.

Today, after two hours of screwing around selecting points to move the map again-CarEd puked out after the second move.

The model is OK and intact-but it's gotten so dang big I can't work on it anymore.

The terrain is not done. There are .tifs but not everything is textured. (.asc will be void of textures anyway)

There are some incidental features like some road signs and mileposts that have been added as have some buildings. There are no other terrain features such as trees, rocks, roadside weeds, etc. that I had planned. I haven't been able to extend the terrain west or south of the Pinnacles Road/Barrier Highway and the town of Broken Hill (inside fortress walls) hasn't been done. (My version of) MacDougal's Wells Rd needs to be finished. Menindee Rd. to a point further southeast of Broken Hill isn't finished and there are no physical terrain boundaries around the map.

I think what's hanging me up in this fodgorsaken proggy is the textures atm. I'm going to load up the .asc without the tex's and see if I can't knock out some more terrain/features.

If I can't, can you or somebody else continue where I leave off? (modeling?)

Cared's gut is just about full.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Yeah, let me take a stab at it. Can you zip up your map's folder from CarEd so I get the .OBJ and the TIFs? Don't need the .ASC.

I'll PM you with my address if you don't have it already.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK, but first lemme see exactly how far I can get with the modeling. Like JP used to do-I got certain elements of it that I just gotta have to complete the 'ambience' of the whole 'Mad Max' thing. (iconic road signs and incidental noncar vehicles from the movies, etc.)

I'll see if I can get them in there and then pack it all up. I currently do not have your email addy.

Hope ya can help, man. I'd really like to see this come to fruition-I just ain't got enough knowledge to use a different proggy to do it in.

I just wanna 'Max' themed track that's big enough to haul ass around in...
Lotsa room to haul ass...
Lotsa room to haul ass...
Big.jpg (85.85 KiB) Viewed 21335 times
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ok cool. Do what you gotta do.

Keep the signs and 'noncar' type stuff as seperate objects. They really should be saved seperately and imported as noncars.
But as long as they are seperate objects, we should be able to rename them and that might work just as well. And they'll be in their proper location.

I sent PM with addy, did it not go thru?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

AAA! Where'd you guys go for awhile?

I'm still stuck on terrain...I think I've gone about as far as I can with CarEd + textures.

The proggy pukes with all of 'em so if I'm gonna keep modeling, I'm gonna hafta rip 'em out and continue without 'em. Wish I knew how to use a different prog for modeling but this old dog never learned any new tricks...

Hey, Coffey. Ya still wanna mess with this thing?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ya I can take a look at it, if ya want. I'll PM you with address

Check who’s online