Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

C1 crush data explained

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
jeff_1amstudios
driver

C1 crush data explained

Post by jeff_1amstudios »

Hi,

I've reverse engineered the C1 crush data enough for it to be possible to create custom crush data for addon cars.

Heres the file format: http://blog.1amstudios.com

Enjoy :smile:
OpenC1 - Open-source Carmageddon engine! http://www.1amstudios.com/projects/openc1
Econobrick
Stucco

Re: C1 crush data explained

Post by Econobrick »

It's great to finally have some kind of grip on this mess.

Fantastic work, sir!

On the other hand, to manually generate the data needed for a few-hundred polygon car seems like a job best assigned to death row inmates?! Not to be a downer.

To harness this into a program where one could open a car model, deform it by manipulating the vertices manually and generating that into a useable list would truly be a godsend. (a pt2 add-on or whatnot) Though I know you have more than enough on your plate as it is.

I can only imagine what kind of undertaking that'd be... If I had even the slightest knowledge of programming, I'd attempt it. But that's obviously not the case.
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Post by jeff_1amstudios »

Yeah - its definitely not something you'd want to generate by hand. The format is so nasty it has to have been created by an internal tool stainless used. It possible for me to create a similar too to make it easier - unfortunately I dont think its really possible to auto-magically generate crush data for a model because to know how it should crush means the tool needs to understand the 3d-model as a real car.

Possibly I could make a quick tool that once youve chosen say 20-30 main crush points using PlayThing, my tool could guess at some child vertices for each one and output it as a text blob you can copy into the custom car.txt
OpenC1 - Open-source Carmageddon engine! http://www.1amstudios.com/projects/openc1
Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

!

Seems like that would do the job as well as one could hope.

It's anybody's guess, but whatever Stainless had rigged up probably wasn't much more involved than that...if at all.
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

Good effort, a real 1am job indeed. Impressive though. Seems like a tool just like Econobrick suggested would be useful, having the ability to load the model and warp it to its most crushable state, then spit out the values :smile:

Check who’s online