Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

C2 is crashing my PC, very badly!

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Gamester
mechanic

C2 is crashing my PC, very badly!

Post by Gamester »

Hey guys,

I got a weird problem with Carmageddon 2. Sometimes, now becoming more often, when I kill my car in game from wrecking really hard it completely crashes my computer, as in it makes it shut off completely. Then, when I power back up my PC windows gives me a error message that "Your computer has just recovered from a serious error". What gives?

Ok, I know C2 is an old game and I do have several added maps and cars in the game, but it should not be crashing my computer regardless. My C2 does crash to the desktop almost every time I hit the Esc key to get out of a game, but it should not be crashing me out of my computer entirely.

I can run modern games, such as GRID, with full HD resolution and 4x anti-aliasing fine with no crashes, so I know my system is not abnormally unstable or anything.

My system specs are:

Windows XP Pro SP2

ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 512mb

AMD Athlon 64 XP 3200 running at 2.53Ghz

3gb of Corsair XMS

Thanks,
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: C2 is crashing my PC, very badly!

Post by coffeycup »

Meh, crashes everybodies when some cars get split :suicide:
Gamester
mechanic

Post by Gamester »

Yikes, now I don't even have to crash my car for it to happen. I was just driving around and it crashed my system. Maybe another racer triggered it by crashing? I don't know, but this is getting annoying and it can't be good on my PC.

Argh, :sad:
Beast
The Man

Post by Beast »

Just out of curiosity, do you have Windows Media Player running in the background, playing music?
Gamester
mechanic

Post by Gamester »

Nope, when I run C2 I don't have any other applications open.

This is really weird.

Thanks,
Gamester
mechanic

Post by Gamester »

Found another thing that also crashes my PC in C2. When I am in the replays and if I hold down the rewind button for more than a couple of seconds at a time it shuts down my PC.

Man, this is really weird and very irritating. :supercrazy:

Anyone else have this happening?
crash
hit n run

Post by crash »

I'm no expert, but when I've had issues like that with games, it's been bad graphics drivers. Maybe update from the manufacturers web site or roll back to the original drivers if you've updated lately... Vice City did something similar to an old Dell that had the Intel graphics card in it... I've avoided them since lol
Gamester
mechanic

Post by Gamester »

Hmm, guess I could try that, but the weird thing is that C2 is the only game that does this on my computer and I have quite a few games installed on my system, most of which are a lot more graphical than C2.

Guess I'll give it a go though. :wink:

Thanks,
crash
hit n run

Post by crash »

C2 is weird that way. If you read up on the older posts you'll see it does some crazy crap other games never do :wink:
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Well, there is an easy solution.

Go to ebay and buy an old pc that'll run C2 with no problems. :P

Of course the crashing as some cars split will still happen
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Gamester
mechanic

Post by Gamester »

Lol, that probably wouldn't work out well with some of the huge maps and high poly cars I got installed in C2 :wink:

I wouldn't mind if it was just C2 its self just crashes, that happens all of the time anyways, but no application should be shutting down my whole computer like this. :suicide:
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Try updating your graphics drivers (as mentioned in a previous post) if you haven't already done so, my computer used to crash on all games until i updated my graphics drivers.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

If you have all sorts of add-on cars and tracks, who knows what could be causing it. Hi-poly cars trying to split, opponents falling of the edge of unbounded tracks, all sorts of things. It seems sometimes having the YON set to too high a number can cause problems with maps that have a high number of polys or an excess of transparent textures. Sometimes my game crashes after finishing one race, never allowing me to go back to the main menu. Other times its tame as a kitten and doesn't crash at all.

The list just goes on and on. If my game crashes, I swear under my breath and restart it.
pileup
turbo bastard

Post by pileup »

even though im no expert at c2 it could be a problem with too many ped gibs, because i,ve had that problem before. :crazy:
running people over.. so many peds so little time...
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

yeah as coffey said it could be anything, i'd just try different things and tick those off the list of things that work/don't work, my YON is currently 70, any higher than that i start to lag... ALOT
Gamester
mechanic

Post by Gamester »

Yea, I guess it would be nearly impossible to dig into it and fix the plethora of errors and other abnormalities in C2. Guess it is just something we have to deal with as C2 lovers.

Makes me wonder what keeps us going having to consistently face repetitive errors, having to find find a million workarounds to accomplish seemingly simple tasks, spending countless hours of our lives editing text files, making 3d models, and manipulating textures.

Maybe we are insane, nutty, or a just little eccentric, but damn it there is just something about this game that will always keep us playing it and modding it to the very end :grin:

C2 stability does seem to be affected by the yon. I used to run mine at 400, but I am down to a senseable 100 now and it does seem a bit more stable, but not much.

Thanks,

Check who’s online