Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Cheap Maps

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: Cheap Maps

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Too bad you don't make C1 tracks, because I totally see these kind of tracks well in C1.
I like the very oldschool vibe they have, simple geometry + repeated oppressive textures.

Also that sky texture you're using is interesting. Not only does it complete the outer space feeling but it also makes it plausible to have a darker setting for the track, yet have illuminated vehicles, props, etc.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Yeah, never made a C1 track from scratch. Only edited existing. I wonder what differences are between a C1 and C2 track?

I know the paperwork is different. But is the model setup different in PT2?
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

I love the old video game style of these, Ill check out the map myself when Ive done my current project (sorry im just too into it) But yeah, It reminds me of playing unreal tournament, Back when online gameing was only played by us select few with powerfull enough pcs. (of... wich im still using right now actully, the same one I played on)

But yeah, fun work,
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

@ Coffeycup: Actually there isn't much differences between C1 and C2 tracks. Besides the ped plotting. As Mastro explained on his forum, there's a serious material/texture count limit but it's above 200 textures. A thing we discovered last year however is that the identifier of the master object should be edited though. But it works even without that fix.

Yeah actually it's pretty straightforward!

What's interesting now that I look at it, is that noncars have that simple box collision setup (like C1 cars) but it also features a crush data?! Implying they might be deformed!
I should convert a C1 car into a noncar to test that out.

[edit] Got it ingame at the first try.
Here's what I did: copied act, dat, mat to C1 directory. Converted the tiffs into 8bit bmps with C1 palette. Made a pixpack for the textures, one for the horizon and one for the minimap (had to be shrunk down to 320*200 btw). Put that in the C1 directory too. Hexedited the master actor identifier (but this is not necessary). Hexedited the MAT file to simply add .PIX after the texture filenames. Then made the TXT file (out of an existing one, copy pasted data from the C2 txt file).

Ofcourse, powerups and noncars are rocksolid at the moment. Powerups should be replaced by a C1 equivalent and noncars just need a different bounding box in their txt file.
Attachments
DUMP0001.png
DUMP0001.png (113.39 KiB) Viewed 2654 times
DUMP0000.png
DUMP0000.png (124.48 KiB) Viewed 2654 times
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ha ha wow!!! Cooooooooooool. :cool:

I'm blanking on how opponent paths are setup in C1. Can the C2 coords be reused? I'll have to look into further when I finish other commitments (MallMap).

Thanks again fer looking into that.... :beer:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I just copy pasted all the coords from the C2 paperwork indeed.
There's just the minimap coords that must be fiddled with a bit in order to get correct positions ingame.
Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Post by Sleep Dirt »

There's some proper rad lookin maps here, can't wait to try them out, especially the dark DooM map :sgn:
The Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

But we've got the biggest balls of them all!

Download here

Check who’s online