Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

C2O OpenGL GUI Test #2

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Wolverine
hit n run

C2O OpenGL GUI Test #2

Post by Wolverine »

Hi all,

Some of you may remember the small GUI test i posted a while ago, which had some problems. Well i made some fixes shortly after that happened but unfortunately i have been so tied up with the project and life that i never got around to testing it with you all again. Anyway, some of the fixes include:

1. You can now see the text clearly on icy maps, and the background of the GUI does not turn completely white anymore.

2. Flicking has been reduced right down to nothing, so you shouldn't find that the GUI boxes change to some other colour when under water or in shadow etc.

3. Secondary meters have been added (which are shown approximately 5 seconds after the health meters are displayed). These secondary meters show for example the number of peds killed by everyone, or whether or not they are knocked out. They will also show everyones lap number or position in race mode etc. All of these functions are working in C2O, but you will not be able to experience any of this yet as you do not have the entire program.

I have not been able to fully replicate the text colouring problem that was found in the last test, so i am really hoping that what i have fixed now, has fixed that too. Fingers crossed! Of course everything has been tested on my machine, but this is not to say the old problems might still occur on other machines. This is the whole idea of the test.

Anyway, everything is just like before. Just download this archive: http://www.tdr2k.gamingsource.net/momv3 ... GL_GUI.rar

Simply extract it to your Carmageddon 2 folder and make sure that Zeckensacks Glide Wrapper is installed with a resolution of 1280 x 1024, Forced Hi-Res and Simple Shaders. When you get into game you might see nothing, this is normal as the auto switching to the GUI is performed by C2O (which you do not have). Just press F1 to display the GUI. You can also initiate a chat message by pressing TAB, followed by your message and ENTER. This will however not be displayed in the chat windows as you do not have C2O. Incidently, entering / as the first letter will show the contents of COMMANDS.TXT (which i stress is a very old version of the ever growing commands list).

P.S. Set up your HUD to it's most compact size before running this test, and if you experience problems under water please refer to the Water Gravity Fix that was posted in the last test thread. As yet i have not had to use it with this version of the GUI.

Any feedback and screenshots will be great,

James.

Wolverine
hit n run

Re: C2O OpenGL GUI Test #2

Post by Wolverine »

Also here is what the you should see etc. The colour on mine might be a little different as there have been some minor changes made for best visibility.

Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post deleted by coffeycup

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Wolverine
hit n run

Post by Wolverine »

Hi Toshiba,

Thanks for testing it out again, much appreciated. The recording mode is disabled by C2O, as are several small features which could interfere with the gameplay and the GUI. For instance, using S to toggle sound is disabled, as is C which is used to change the cockpit view. Wherever possible i have tried to back up the loss of a feature by including a strict command to turn it on or off. So nobody really loses these features, they are just activated in a different way.

These feature changes are presented in a modified Carma2_HW.exe file which you are not running in this test. This is why you might trigger a crash when enabling certain game features.

All in all it's nothing to worry about, it's just because you are running a very small part of the entire program.

James.
nWo4life
motorised death
Location: Let me explain something to you people. What happens on this board I take REAL serious. I don't care who you are, how big you are (or how small). I'm nWo4life!! And I've come here, to FIGHT!!

Post by nWo4life »

So what you say is that when I extract the content of that rar file in my Carmageddon folder, the normal C2 GUI shows up (so you don't see any differences) and that there is no chat box, because you are (probably) the only one in the world with half working C2O?

I mean, I have tested it already, and it just looks like normal C2. Don't want to be the dickhead to show a screenshot of a normal C2 while it's not even working (I don't have Zeckensacks glide wrapper, I have another one, with 1024x786 res) and say "omg its working prfectly!!1!".

Greetz, nWo4life
"I never thought ye had it in ye." - Ken Shamrock

"I have registered myself for the 30th (Look: we're still counting!) time... Does this officially make me an attention-seeking internet whore? No?" - Mr. Hawk
Wolverine
hit n run

Post by Wolverine »

Hi,

This GUI only works with Zeckensacks Glide Wrapper. This is probably why you don't see anything. If you would like to test then you must install that particular wrapper. I did mention this in the first post.

Sorry if there was any confusion.

James.
Wolverine
hit n run

Post by Wolverine »

Just incase anyone is interested, some new screenshots have been uploaded to http://www.tdr2k.gamingsource.net/momv3 ... nshots.php

They show the Server program in action, which is almost ready. The Client still requires some work, but not a huge amount.

James.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post deleted by coffeycup

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Wolverine
hit n run

Post by Wolverine »

Thanks! I guess it is the only multiplayer mod thats been done for C2 as yet, at least i havent heard of anymore (except death race for unreal tournament).

Custom cars and tracks all work, many have been tested. The 3DFX option allows you to run in Glide or D3D also, both with a similar GUI - but you will need to have Zeckensacks Glide Wrapper installed (unless i get permission to meld it into C2O for release).

Theres the odd bug that comes up here and there, but nothing really major. The current build is stable and i haven't detected any major issues. Theres just one annoying problem at the moment whereby the chat messages get lost, however this seems to be down to a Java problem and i am awaiting a fix or workaround. Soon i hope.

There were times during the dev. that i was wondering if everything i wanted in this mod was possible, but now it has been, it's deffinately been worth the effort. I certainly didn't want to get half way and find i couldn't get "into" areas of the game to do what i wanted.

EDIT: Theres also automatic file transfers (and auto installing!) which people might not know about as i have yet to take a screenshot of that. It just allows any car or track that the server has (but others havent) to get transfered before the game starts. EDIT2: Screenshot of transfers is now up too! Still can't believe i forgot that!

James.
Alex_Dynamite
road raged psycho

Post by Alex_Dynamite »

Wow! Its looking great! :shock: Looks to be quite a lot of features, many not found in C2's network play?

Btw, will C2O even work with other glide wrappers? I havta use djVoodoo, since I cant use Zeckensack's.
blacksunshine
turbo bastard

Post by blacksunshine »

i dont want to see pictures of the game, i want to play it!!! But good work!

So, When can everbody play this bad boy? :grin:
"This place, will now be your home again untill your death"
Wolverine
hit n run

Post by Wolverine »

Yeah thats one reason why i didn't want to just do some IPX to TCPIP conversion, which would have limited the mod to the original network play. C2O has plenty of scope for expansion and mods, and although i have added quite a bit of new stuff theres no reason why more and more cannot be added after release as updates.

It's going to be a bit longer yet before i would be happy to let the mod out, my focus is now on the client side to complete to the same standard as the server which is now practically done. It's possible that i could add support fairly quickly for other wrappers if they wrap to opengl32.dll (the same as Zeckensacks). If not, it will most likely take a while to interrogate before attempting to support it.

Hopefully i will be working some more on the mode scoring, race ranking etc today. I'm then debating the whole pedestrian sync situtation. My current thoughts are that i should sync only the peds which are close to each client and ignore the rest. That way probably only 10 or 20 positions at the most will need to be transmitted to clients rather than hundreds! This might make the option usable and create very little delays. I'd really like to have it for the pedestrian panic mode, at least an an option to enable or disable.

I think it might be one of those things that really needs to be done and tried to see if it will really work out though.

James.
toroid
hit n run

Post by toroid »

Well, mine looks like this.

I set up the wrapper configurator the way you specified. Using version .84c.

I'm running under Windows 2000, with a Radeon 9800. Pentium 4, 2.6 GHz. 1024 MB RAM.

I played on the first group of maps.

You said it should be running at a resolution of 1280 x 1024. Did you mean 1280 x 960 ? I was running at 1280 x 960.

I messed around with the "limit feature set" option in the wrapper configurator and got different results, but none of them were correct. For example: when set to "basic stuff only", the colors were white text boxes on top of blue, instead of the all black you see in my screenshot.

Also, when using the zeckensack glide wrapper to play normally (that is, without this GUI installed) the game runs very very well on my computer.
Last edited by toroid on Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolverine
hit n run

Post by Wolverine »

Have you tried 1280 x 1024? The resolution can make a big difference, although i would have still expected you to be able to read parts of the text.
toroid
hit n run

Post by toroid »

Hmm. I didn't know that zeckenseck's wrapper was capable of running Carmageddon 2 at 1280 x 1024. I thought it was limited to the default resolution (640 x 480), and then when the "try high res" option is selected, a resolution of 1280 x 960 is produced (by quadrupling the default resolution).

How do you go about getting 1280 x 1024 ?

Wolverine
hit n run

Post by Wolverine »

I'll double-check mine when i get on the main machine but i would guess that if your monitor is not capable of it, it won't let you select that particular res.
Wolverine
hit n run

Post by Wolverine »

Sorry for the late reply, but i've been working hard on controlling and synchronizing the pedestrians! Almost there too... i've been testing with a command i made called /pedmagnet lol. It makes EVERy ped on the map spawn on top of your car, pretty funny :smile:

Sometimes the peds get sent back where they came from so i just need to fix that.

As for the screen res, yes i do use 1280x1024 i just checked ot make sure. I can only say perhaps your monitor does not support this.

James.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Wolv, have you tried making a picture of your screen and then check what size that is? cause zeckenzacks glidewrapper has 1280x1024 set on but C2 runs at 1280x960 when i screencaptured it (so it means it runs that reso)
Kolnedra
hit n run

Post by Kolnedra »

nvm, found the answer :P
Wolverine
hit n run

Post by Wolverine »

Yeah, screenshots come out ok for me and are correct (1280x1024). Weird huh.
toroid
hit n run

Post by toroid »

I can only say perhaps your monitor does not support this.
My monitor does support that resolution. That's what I keep my desktop at, actually.

Weird huh.
Good summary.

I'll mess around with it some more and see if I can get it to display properly.

ApeX__
Banned

Post by ApeX__ »

zeckenzacks glidewrapper isn't all that great, it seems to have some issues that need to be

resolved, but there is infact a glidewarpper that runs smoother and at the correct resolution you

set it at "dgVoodoo" (at least for me anyways)
Haha Fuck you Kitteh
Teutonicus
turbo bastard

Post by Teutonicus »

C2O seems to be a great project. When do you think it will be released?
CrapFlap
pedestrian

Post by CrapFlap »

The link doesn't work for me. Anybody else have this prob?

Oh yeah one more thing does anybody get a curser prob with glide? I cant move it out of the top left hand corner.

P.S. This is the best mod ever! :rockon:

Check who’s online