Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

The real Carmageddon II Online...

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
blacksunshine
turbo bastard

Re: The real Carmageddon II Online...

Post by blacksunshine »

good ideas! SCI should come here to this forum to get ideas... well wovlie, cant wait to play this game'

i am just gonna fall off the earth for about a week to play the game. so keep up the good work!!!

i'm out!!!! :rockon: :rofl:
"This place, will now be your home again untill your death"
blacksunshine
turbo bastard

Post by blacksunshine »

is this old?

" Whoohooo! Its released!!!

After i finished and uploaded Carmageddon II Advanced on 21th May 2002 now the website is done too =) Thanks to Wolverine who setup every detail on this page like i wanted. "

from http://tdr2k.gamingsource.net/c2adv/

yeah i know, the date...

cuz if :confused: its up and running, i am calling off work for the next week !!!

Wolverine
hit n run

Post by Wolverine »

Don't worry, the website there is as old as the mod :smile: It's just the wording that Rax put in that maybe confused you. I guess he will ask me to update those pages again when he gets onto the C2Adv update to the original mod...

P.S. after some work last night i seem to have sorted out the AI taking over control, so it's much smoother now. The AI still likes to flash the reversing lights like crazy sometimes, in a temper tantrum but that's a minor thing. I'm sure i'll sort that out eventually. Todays job is to automate the respawning accross the server and sync some timers!

James.
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

There's a small problem with allowing the 'customizing' for preferred handling: (if I understood the idea correctly) Even having different "centre of mass"-values can give some advantage if tweaked right: the player's car would always get back on its wheels, and never stay upside-down, for example. (and no waiting for the recovery would then be needed) And tweaking the friction angles of the wheels could give considerably more grip.
Perhaps it would be better to normalize the values in sets then, rather than all as a whole... so have a set for friction angles, normalize these to the hosts settings (friction angles that a player has set will still maintain their 'proportions'). As for the centre of mass, I think it would be a bad idea to try to mess with that too much, perhaps best not to move it at all. How would we decide where it is supposed to go? A calculation based on the model, like PT2 does? That might not be a bad idea, once all values are normalized, to do something like that to set critical things like centre of mass. It would change the player-set car physics though, which defeats the point of normalizing?
blacksunshine
turbo bastard

Post by blacksunshine »

well, all i have to say is keep up the good work, wolv. :thumbsup:

is the page updated? if not, we'll wait.
Wolverine
hit n run

Post by Wolverine »

Hi,

There will hopefully be an update shortly, including a poll/submission form on the c2o site. I haven't had chance to speak properly with nitro yet but i'm sure he's working on a script... i will release another video fairly soon to show how the mod is progressing again, this time showing more collisions and some stunts! Once i reach this stage of making the third video i will be seeking some early beta testers, as the car/movement/handling/collision control system will be complete by then. Sorry that i can't post much more just yet, but it won't be too long before theres something else for you to peek at :smile:

In the mean time, feel free to keep your ideas coming!

James.
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

Well I guess we could always take a look at the various online games out there, and see if those have any useful features that could be included in C2O some way... evaluating the pros and cons for each one. This might become a long list, though. :smile: How advanced modifications can you do anyway, without the source code? Is a spectator mode possible to do, for example? (although I can't tell if that's something you would call very 'advanced'... :smile:)
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

Yes the spectator mode would be useful for a 'one-death' deathmatch, like the normal C2 mode of play. That way people wasted early get to see the great driving skills of the remaining players. Wolverine, probably everyone is going to want to beta test it, so if I were you I'd pick my testers by hand (without asking for 'applications') based on the closest timezone to yourself, or people who will be available to test at the same sort of times you are. Best not to tell anyone who's testing until the final list of testers has been confirmed and finalised.
Alex_Dynamite
road raged psycho

Post by Alex_Dynamite »

Timezone? I could make a map with timezones and put CWA members on it. Be good for figuring out the times. I've done the same thing before.
Wolverine
hit n run

Post by Wolverine »

Theres one thing about game modding/hacking... you never know what will be possible and what won't. I wish i could say. As far as coding, i can do the advanced stuff but that is providing there is appropriate access to the resources i need in the game. Well i should say, if it's within reach in terms of accessibility. Hacking games is very tricky stuff, searching for one little resource can take forever but everything is usually there if you are willing to go through the sweat and tears for it.

Spectator mode is something that did cross my mind, but i didn't think much about it due to the excess lag it may cause. However, it might be the case that the players coordinates could be sent from the server to another server appropriately setup just for spectating. This would shift some of the processing from the server (of dishing out coordinates to people who arn't even playing!) which is indended for gaming. This may work. If a game server is full for example, the client could be redirected to a spectator server. The spectator server could be a central thing, dishing out spectator access for all c2o games that are running on the internet perhaps...

I will be very cautious when picking testers of course. Theres timezomes to concider, but also the machine spec, operating system etc. I obviously need to make sure i have testers with a range of different specs and operating systems, and most importantly modem speed.

James.
blacksunshine
turbo bastard

Post by blacksunshine »

cool,updating the site! neato! for some reason, i cant watch any videos that you put up.

i am computer retarted. sort of... who knows... i have winamp, but it saves it to another program

that doesnt even play videos... oh well.. :supercrazy: :rofl:
Qwerty_86
kill boss

Post by Qwerty_86 »

It'd be cool if the spectator can still chat with players in case that person is to be a cameraman for a multiplayer movie.
Wolverine
hit n run

Post by Wolverine »

Yeah i'm sure we could sort the spectator chat out, that'd be quite a simple thing. A fly-by camera for spectators would be nice also! Maybe even in-car views etc.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

And what about the "iwishicouldflyrightuptothesky" cheat camera function? that would be cool to have also in the spectator mode no? when you are in a little arena and all :wink:
Wolverine
hit n run

Post by Wolverine »

I knew there was some kind of flying cheat but i never tried it :smile: I'm a good little boy who never cheats LOL. Does it make your car fly or just the camera? I'll have to give it a whirl and see if it would be of any use to the mod.

I have managed to nuke the AI completely and created a new Carma2_HW.exe for it. This will be better than having to make everybody delete the opponent paths from their maps! Usually you can find an on/off address in the game for controlling AI but as there are no parts of C2 where there isn't any AI there was nothing to compare/narrow down my search for the variable with. Luckily i found there was a switch case in the .exe which determined the state of the opponents i.e. "taking a breather", "trying to kill you", "racing around" etc. I think there were about 9 states, each state having various random names, well you have probably seen them in a file called status.txt. My new .exe simply forces the opponents to take a breather... hehe.

Update: Respawning and timer syncing has now been implemented and working very well. Next job, health and damage!

Thanks,

James.
Mustang
Hot Sexy Man Beast

Post by Mustang »

please tell me your not excepting us to pay any money?

sure i would love to give you money for your effort and time but i have no means of giving you money unless i mail it to you.

sorry
Wolverine
hit n run

Post by Wolverine »

Nah i don't want peoples money, i want this mod as much as you guys... we already paid when we bought TDR for multiplayer, and look how that turned out. Laggy, buggy, and half the time it don't work for people because of the dumb ass patches which don't even fix the important problems. Many people are confused about the whole TDR multiplayer thing. Maybe this time around we can show them how we would really like a multiplayer mode to be, and this time for free! Something like this might just give the developers a kick up the backside and make them do a multiplayer mode for C4 which actually works right, and give us all what we really want.

Failing that, we can always dream... and play C2O :lol:

James.
blacksunshine
turbo bastard

Post by blacksunshine »

right on!!! :thumbsup:
Wolverine
hit n run

Post by Wolverine »

Wish you guys could see this :smile: ...and when i thought the multi couldn't get any smoother, it just did. Mega breakthrough today. God it's silky smooth even when the cars are going really fast, i simulated roughly 100-150ms lag with that! Wheels spin when skidding and turning now, in addition to driving in straight lines. Hopefully it will be this good on the real thing!

Only problem at the moment is an occasional car fuckup when it gets stuck someplace, it starts spinning around and shit LOL. I'm working on a recovery mechanism for this, but it only happens very rare atm. It's coming on leaps and bounds.

Ah well, i could do another video but all these problems with people viewing them. I guess you'll just have to wait :P

James.

lentilky
mechanic

Post by lentilky »

Its very nice to see that your development goes on pretty well :smile:

I realy looking forward to see another video, or even test that mod :lol:

Keep on hard working...its realy worth it :thumbsup:
Qwerty_86
kill boss

Post by Qwerty_86 »

The flying cheat makes the car fly.
NitroX
nymphetamine

Post by NitroX »

Word to you all.

I just spent a week in montreal, so fucking what. I got a busy summer, which means, I can't really maintain a site, and it appears James is rather busy also, I don't mind how many of you want to help, or if none at all. But, I'll give you whatever credit you want, all you gotta do is update the site through the summer, Everything is setup, if you understand basic html, you can understand this .. the design we have now, it's like 5-minute brownies, quick and simple to change, and very easy to make or to replace for that matter.

I understand I missed a bit, but I'll be away from my computer from wednesday forth for about 3 weeks.. post in the thread if you are interested and Jame or I will hook you up. If I can't get anyone .. the site will be a fucking disaster, and we depend on the site for outside users to look into this mod. you cant expect people to somehow discover this thread. the site is linked to from tdr2k, and I should find some more referrals soon.

anyway, cheers to y'all

Kilroy out.
Was Der So Alles Kann
Alex_Dynamite
road raged psycho

Post by Alex_Dynamite »

I can help out with the site.
Alex_Dynamite
road raged psycho

Post by Alex_Dynamite »

On the flying cheat, it sorta makes the car fly. You can move it around like an airplane, but without any handling. You can also stop in place, even in the air. Also, it removes any collisions, so you go right through anything. It's just like a spectator camera, but with a vehicle attached.
NitroX
nymphetamine

Post by NitroX »

good stuff, we can talk on msn or icq. I don't really mind which.
Was Der So Alles Kann
Alex_Dynamite
road raged psycho

Post by Alex_Dynamite »

Doesn't matter with me also. I've got both.

Checked out your number on ICQ. Is it right?
Wolverine
hit n run

Post by Wolverine »

Thanks, i know your a busy guy too at the moment, it was nice of your to take some time to start the site. Hopefully we can gather one or two others to maintain it, although i will do my best to put any new info on that i can, when it's available of course.

The flying cheat sounds like just the ticket for a spectator mode, i was wondering about the collisions. Perfect!
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Perfect!

Yeah thats what i said :grin:

Sounds sooo good, jolly jolly jolly....now we need more new maps :grin:
NitroX
nymphetamine

Post by NitroX »

@ alex: My icq is being gay today .. add my msn [url=mailto:nitro_pwns_all@hotmail.com">nitro_pwns_all@hotmail.com[/url] , We shall get everything organized today :smile:
Was Der So Alles Kann
blacksunshine
turbo bastard

Post by blacksunshine »

everytime i read this forum, it sounds like the game is getting better all the time!

too bad SCI didnt go thru there game and work as hard as you are doing.

so when will this baby of yours, will be born? no rush, i just need to save all of my files of addon cars,

which could take some time. i just want to be ready and be the first person to play.

i tell you man, an overhaul of this game was long overdue. well, keep up the great work and dont rush.

B.s. :tongue: :thumbsup:
Alex_Dynamite
road raged psycho

Post by Alex_Dynamite »

Ok! Got that all sorted out. NitroX, your on my MSN.

My MSN address is [url=mailto:lego_maniac05@hotmail.com">lego_maniac05@hotmail.com[/url] (it's an old one, first e-mail old).
Wolverine
hit n run

Post by Wolverine »

Just a small addition to the C2O "progress pack" if you like. This is one of three wallpapers which i am working on. I will add this to the C2O site in the morning as i cannot access my other PC at the moment. I will probably have the other two ready by tomorrow also.

http://tdr2k.gamingsource.net/momv3/tem ... paper1.jpg

Enjoy!

James.
NitroX
nymphetamine

Post by NitroX »

Redesign being worked on right now everyone.
Was Der So Alles Kann
blacksunshine
turbo bastard

Post by blacksunshine »

sweet! good work! whats a " :confused:progess pack?"
NitroX
nymphetamine

Post by NitroX »

A pack with progress I guess !? :smile: