Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Lowering

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
xjake101x
driver

Lowering

Post by xjake101x »

Hey just a quick question how do you lower cars, and change the angle, so the back is high like a dragster.??? :supercrazy::supercrazy: :help:
kelctic_findings
turbo bastard

Re: Lowering

Post by kelctic_findings »

you have to have cared firrst of all, open the ,obj file in the car that you want to lower (not all cars have an .obj some people you have to ask for it and some are made in a different program) now if you want to lower it selct all the points of all the tires by goin threw the tire components and ctrl then slide your mouse over the points(im sure you know that) than just press and hold the right clicky thingy on your mouse and move the tires to wherever you want them, but after that i dont know what to do some one else should be a ble to know what after that. i havent really tried to modify any cars yet.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

You lower a car by repositioning the whole model in whatever program you're using.

I CarEd, f'rinstance-I select ALL the points in my model and only DESELECT the wheels, they have to stay where they are on the 'ground'.

Then I just right-click on the model and drag it's position down so it sits lower on the wheels. Save it and compile it like you would any other car.

To 'rake' a car, (Have the back end higher than the front or the front lower than the backl), just 'transform' the whole model on the X axis by 3 degrees or so and reposition the wheels so they're sitting at zero on the X and Z axes.

{pic deleted due to size constraints}
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
M®. £üñ¢hßØx
WetDogx2

Post by M®. £üñ¢hßØx »

Wow. That's not as intimidating as I thought that was. I'm gonna grab CarEd and try that sometime. I know some cars out there I'd love to rake.
HAHA OMG I NEVR KNO WUT 2 PUT IN THIS THINGS!!11 LOLZ!111 OMG FUXXORZ IM BAD AT HTIS
ApeX__
Banned

Post by ApeX__ »

you can even rake cars in PT2, if any one cares to know, just ask
Haha Fuck you Kitteh
Metallica2904
So fucking what!

Post by Metallica2904 »

HOW?
Pedestrians have the right of way.....Unless they're in the way!
ApeX__
Banned

Post by ApeX__ »

eh... i didnt really wanna type all this but here goes...

Step #1: open PT2 and select your car (im going to use the Warthog as example)

Step #2: click the "WARTHOG.ACT" to select the whole model, Now theres 3 tabs over

the component window click the "Selection" Tab, then go down to the "Object" box and

select "Warthog.act" then press the "modify" button, a new window will appear, select the

"Rotation" tab, now change the "about Axis" to "X" and put any number in the little

box to the right (-5 should be the angel you aiming for) but before you hit "Apply" you MUST

check the little box in the bottom right "apply to Heiarchy" otherwhise it will only move the main

car body, now that the "hard" part is done click "done" and the window will dissapear (almost

as if magically) now, click on the "Overview" Tab to the Left select one of your wheels

and move it up or down depending on if its higher than the "ground" or lower than

once done Save it and test it ingame

Now i know, this all sounds much harder than what D_B up there posted, But... its much

easyer, knowning you dont have to re-compile the car
Haha Fuck you Kitteh
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Heh. Whaddya mean? "Ya don't hafta recompile the car"? Ya can recompile the car fifty times in a minute if ya got a mind to. How hard is it to hit the 'Compile Car' button? Sheesh.

By the time I got done doing alla that plaything2 shit-I'da fergot what the hell I was working on.. :lol:

Damn...alla this just to avoid having to hit the 'compile car' button....I dunno 'bout you guys... :grin:

'Swhy I like the way to do it in Cared-Open car/select all points/unselect the wheels/drag yer car where ya want it/save and compile it.

As far as rake angle goes...I've found that anything over -3 degrees looks goofy.

Ya wanna rake the car so it looks like something real-life suspension could do.

In real-life, ya drop the front, the rear shows it a bit, too. If ya raise the rear, the front drops a tiny bit due to the center of mass shift.

kelctic_findings
turbo bastard

okay this doesnt work for me. i do all this lower the car, compile it, and then just ad the the tiffrg folder to it, and make a new .c2c file, then i go to play my game, click on the car, go to start let it load, and then it just shuts down, doesnt say any errors or anything. could my cared have an error compiling the car, cause i dont wan this to happen when i try and put my own car into the game.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ya don't hafta do alla that new .c2c and tiffrgb crap unless you've raked the car severely so the textures aren't aligned with it anymore.

If all you did was lower it you don't need to change the .tifs or make anything new.

After ya compile the lowered car, copy the ACT, DAT, MAT, and SHELL out of the CarEd (lowered car's) folder and paste them in the C2 car's folder-let them overwrite the existing ones.

You DID leave the wheels where they wer s'posed to be, right? 'Cause if you move them too far without changing the bounding box entries and they end up outside the box-it'll cause that crash.

You're lowering the car-not the wheels.

Run C2 in software (DirectDraw) mode and see if that car gives ya the "wheels outside all shapes" error.

C2 it seems only gives error messages in software mode.

When you select all the car's points-deselect the wheels (so no points have circles around them on the wheels) before you move the car's body-that way the wheels stay put and just the body moves lower-like it would on a real car.

Dig it:

Notice how everything but the wheels is selected? Then just drag the car down to where ya want it.
kelctic_findings
turbo bastard

alright it worked! that was a lot easier than i expected. thank you once again DB, and by the way, what is up with your sig picture?
ApeX__
Banned

Post by ApeX__ »

heh D_B, mainly the Only reasion i use PT2 to lower and Rake cars is because i dont have

an .obj 90% of cars nowdays dont come with the Original models .obj thus making it harder

to steal the model, But... who the hell would want to steal a model that was made for C2?

(not saying the models them selves are bad, just some times the models have over 100 parts)
Haha Fuck you Kitteh
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

In Plaything 2, you could tilt the car by 136.341-degrees, and the textures would still be aligned. :wink:

How I lower cars in Plaything 2: (like those 'mods' of mine...)

1. Select a wheel, lower it with ALT+T, by 0.02 - 0.03 or so in the Y-axis box

2. Do that for each wheel

3. Select the main model in the hierarchy and now raise it similarly. Save.

4. (Textfile physics changes)

Steps 1-3 are done in 30 seconds or so. :smile:

I think that whether you use "Modify geometry" or "Translate object" (similar to mouse move), you'd still have to edit the physics, that is, they don't seem to 'move' with the car model. (bounding shapes coords don't raise up for example) Which doesn't matter really with lowering, it's not much extra effort.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Well, I'm strictly a Cared user. Crashthing2 just truly pisses me off.

I'm leading by example with my sig pic here. I'm gettin' a bit sick of looking at drive-in movie screen sized sig pics 27 times in a thread with nothing more than a " :shock: " above it.

Some folks are on dialup ya know...(I ain't one of 'em, but lots are).

So I figured I'd resize mine and put "Compliant size sig pic" on it to give y'all the idea. It works. You noticed. Mebbe everybody else will too. :smile:
Tony
Ninja

Post by Tony »

Good call, Deep Blue. Now it's just a matter of time, until they're all gone, and this board is "Text Only!". Would suit me just perfect :grin:
-[ Growl Karaoke ]-[ Image ]-[ Abacorn ]-[ Portfolio ]-
Recent exploit: Trapped The Forces of Evil in a box.. and shaked it!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Nah, I like sig pics. They add flavor. Just it's kinda strange when it's bigger than the post, ya know?
autopilot
Travelling Scrap Heap

Post by autopilot »

Even if the .obj is there doesnt mean the creation process stopped there.. I build my cars in car ed, but I use plaything for half the process now.. I'd hate to build cars without it.

What I am trying to say is, you can lower a car someone made in cared, and save it, and throw it in the game, sure maybe the car will be lowered.. but maybe now half of it wont even be textured anymore, there will be parts in the wam file that arent even in the .dat anymore.. and can go on and on.. Its something you're better off using plaything
Tony
Ninja

Post by Tony »

True, and it's just that, which's annoying me. With a slow connection, I'm forced to wait severely, only to find out a non interesting comment, or something similar.
-[ Growl Karaoke ]-[ Image ]-[ Abacorn ]-[ Portfolio ]-
Recent exploit: Trapped The Forces of Evil in a box.. and shaked it!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yeah, I think that's bummin' more'n a few people out.

I know Crashthing2 has better skinning capabilities, auto. But for lowering-I prefer CarEd for it's ease of use. Yeah, an .obj is best for modifying in Cared. I s'pose if all's ya got is an .sdf-yer screwed unless ya got PT2. Unless ya really like doing things the hard way. :wink:

quote:"I build my cars in car ed"

I know :smile: I remember.

Me too. Mebbe I oughtta try skinnin' in Crashthing2 as well.
ApeX__
Banned

Post by ApeX__ »

hey D_B is there a quicker way to select all the points of the whole instire car?

i have a few cars i would like to rake/rase/lower but i dont really feel like selecting 150 Parts and

then select all the points, it tends to get really slow once you have about 3000 points selected
Haha Fuck you Kitteh
kelctic_findings
turbo bastard

this might sound stupid but can i get that car on the top anywhere,it looks like fun to modify.
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Post by random_monkey »

In the component window there is a 'Select from all visible points' option...

If you make the tyres invisible

then tick that option

then move the thing

then deselect the points

then make the tyres visible

All should be well with the world and we have biscuits with milk to celebrate.
random_monkey
Metallica2904
So fucking what!

Post by Metallica2904 »

heya DB, whats that taste-t lookin blue truck type automobile ya got goin there?
Pedestrians have the right of way.....Unless they're in the way!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yeah, Apex, what Da Monkey said.

Metallica: That's my '87 Chevy Stepside (last year they made a stepside).

It's just waitin' for smashies and tweaking. It'll be available soon as I get time to finish it.

Kelctic: That's one of Autopilot's first released cars. Back when he was still clunkin' around with Cared. It's called "Mykecar".

The bottom pic is what I turned it into. Kinda looks like a squarish '74 buick LeSabre, don't it?

I can send either one or both to ya if ya want.
El Barto
turbo bastard

Post by El Barto »

carEd causes that it hurts the head to me. :crazy: :crazy:

I don't have idea to how make the triangles and to unite the points to form laminates of metal. :crazy:

I can't make only a box.
kelctic_findings
turbo bastard

it is very hard to learn, maybe you should look for a tutorial in spanish (if the there is)
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

DB: *Chugs down an ice-cold Dos Equis*

*A-hem*:

Definir triángulos y conectar componentes.

En español:

1.6 DEFINIR Un TRIÁNGULO Una nota sobre triángulos, si usted es nuevo a 3D que modela, aquí es los fundamentos: los modelos 3D se componen nada pero de las porciones de pequeños triángulos. Otras formas tales como rectángulos se pueden hacer fácilmente a partir de dos o más triángulos. La mayoría de los componentes modelo serán vistos solamente a partir de un lado, así que si usted tuviera un cubo, usted vería solamente el exterior del cubo y no del interior. Usando este principal, los juegos 3D pueden acelerar el proceso de dibujo solamente dibujando un lado de cualquier triángulo dado (el exterior). Cuando usted define un triángulo con cuidado, sólo un lado será visible y otro será invisible. Usted debe hacer 3 puntos seleccionar definir un triángulo, él es una buena idea si es posible de crear un triángulo que comparta 2 puntos de otro triángulo, así que el nuevo triángulo sabe qué manera de hacer frente, si no usted tiene una ocasión 50-50 que el triángulo hará frente a la manera incorrecta. Si está haciendo frente a la manera incorrecta, entonces presione i para invertir el triángulo y para hacerle la cara en la dirección correcta. Usted puede ver cómo es aburrido se convierte esto rápidamente. Usted puede tener un manojo de componentes en la pantalla que lo hace difícil de ver en lo que usted está trabajando así que es una buena idea ocultar el resto de los componentes chascando en el único checkbox visible en los componentes que caja (véase el cuadro 1.1) o usted puede ocultar componentes específicos seleccionándolos e inhabilitando el checkbox visible.

1.7 COMPONENTES QUE CONECTAN La mayoría de los componentes serán conectados con otros componentes, así que es muy importante ser seguro que se alinean. Para hacer esto que usted necesita determinarse qué cimas tienen los componentes en campo común. Vaya al componente que conecta y seleccione todas las cimas que sean compartidas y copiarlas al sujetapapeles Ctrl-c. Ahora vaya de nuevo a su nuevo componente que sea conectado y pegue las cimas. Usted debe poder construir el nuevo componente apagado de estos puntos y tener una conexión bien definida. Si usted mueve cualesquiera de las cimas que conectan, cerca omita el redactor moverá las cimas en cualquier componente que conecta por la misma cantidad. En algunas circunstancias raras usted no deseará esto para suceder, así que para inhabilitar esta característica que usted puede ir a las ventanas principales menubar y dar vuelta apagado a la opción de los acoplamientos del Corregir-Efecto. Usted debe darle vuelta detrás encendido cuando le hacen.

Esto se copia directamente del archivo de la ayuda del HTML del Ed del coche.

Espero que esto le ayude. :grin:

kelctic_findings
turbo bastard

holy crap :shock: speaking spanish isnt hard but to right it. that probably helped elbarto out.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Espero que lo hiciera. ¡Hombre! ¡Ese DOS Equis es buena materia! Clank de las bolas del yer de las marcas...
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Que?, no habla esponal, si senor..
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Heh. ¡No hablo español tampoco.
kelctic_findings
turbo bastard

uhhh... hola! ¿comos estas?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

No puedo hablar español. Pasé piezas del HTML del Ed del coche a través del traductor de Babelfish que esperaba que ayudaría al EL Barto.

English: I can't speak Spanish worth a damn so I ran the pertinent parts of CarEd.HTML through Babelfish translator so I could hopefully help El Barto in his own language.

If I inadvertantly insulted one of his family members-blame Ben Beard and Babelhockey. It ain't my fault. :wink: :grin:
kelctic_findings
turbo bastard

oh, i see i just thought you were a genius :grin: which im not saying you arent
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Nope. Just resourceful. :smile: