Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Poor performance

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
steadvex
pedestrian

Poor performance

Post by steadvex »

I'm having weird performance issues with this game

If I run it in debate mode, or one of the modes when every ped is the same i'm getting solid 70-90fps in normal mode i'm getting 20-40fps

i'm running a 970 (latest NVidia drivers) 16gb 2600mhz ram with a 6770k, strangely the tutorial level run a solid 60fps initially, then on the second run performance dropped down considerably, then running in debate mode its perfect

i'm running it 1440p high settings no AA, bloom & motion blur off
WASP2145X
driver

Poor performance

Post by WASP2145X »

With my new PC the game runs great with everything at max but it's an 8core cpu 4ghz, 24gb Ram 1600mhz, 1070gtx 8gb OC Edition. My old PC also has it but runs on Medium and it's a Phenom II X6 6core CPU 3.25ghz, 12gb 1333mhz Ram, 770gtx 4gb OC Edition.

I assume you have the i7 6770k, the 970gtx 4gb?

If so lower your world detail, reflection, skid marks and view distances to Medium and your FPS should stabilise.

As your PC slowly gets older you need to start thinking about lowering graphical detail on newer games, if you can not bare set anything lower than max then you'll have to get used to lower FPS, lower it to Medium, Carmageddon Max Damage still looks great on Medium.
steadvex
pedestrian

Poor performance

Post by steadvex »

the performance is pretty much the same turning the graphics settings down, the only way to make it smooth is running in the modded mode with less variation in ped's, online is perfect which i'm guessing is due to the lack of ped's walking around

I'm happy to turn settings down, but for me that's not really the issue, its the difference between standard and normal mode. lowering settings don't seem to make much of a difference.
WASP2145X
driver

Poor performance

Post by WASP2145X »

Ok dude, well I could spend hours on here cause I like to help, go to this site and post a support ticket :-D

carmageddon.zendesk.com
JesusBoJangles87
mechanic

Poor performance

Post by JesusBoJangles87 »

Frame rates that low make me think you are getting choked on VRAM. The higher frame rates with less ped variation also suggest that. You might be just a few megabytes over your VRAM I'm getting better performance on an overclocked 2GB 760 with all settings maxed except car reflections on low. Small maps is a perfect 60, while larger maps can chug around 45 sometimes. Even in large maps it's 60 fps for the majority of the time. This game auto scales texture quality for VRAM as far as I know(may not be the case anymore).

The big difference is I'm at 1080p. I'm pretty sure higher resolution increases VRAM usage. Maybe you could try 1080p and see if that smooths it out.
steadvex
pedestrian

Poor performance

Post by steadvex »

cheers,

I didn't think to monitor VRAM!

shall take a look and post an update
Trent
mindless

Poor performance

Post by Trent »

VRAM usage could definitely explain it. The 970 only has 3.5gb of actually usable memory, the other 512mb is so slow it's not worth while being there. If the game uses more than 3.5gb of VRAM, which is likely at 1440p, the framerate probably would tank due to that last 512mb being so slow to access.
a.k.a. Brent

Check who’s online