Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

So, umm... what's happening?

Discontinued post-apocalyptic TC project by Junkpile and co.
AdR
pimp

So, umm... what's happening?

Post by AdR »

Been a while since I don't post here, so I thought of checking on what's the status of this project. Read on some of the earliest posts somethin' about using the gta3 engine, wich won't be a bad idea, though it might end up as a mod maybe? dunno, I just would like to know if this is still going on or something
Buzz
road raged psycho

Re: So, umm... what's happening?

Post by Buzz »

i think we all want to know that
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yes indeedy. That we do.
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Buzz
road raged psycho

Post by Buzz »

well who here can will still do it?
Junkpile
mindless

Post by Junkpile »

I agree. But first, I'm going to have to call for a Role-Call. Everyone that is still involved with this project, please speak up. I'll be keeping very close tab's on this thread.

Dean
Peace & love, my Brotha... SPLAT!!!
Buzz
road raged psycho

Post by Buzz »

we might have to contact somepeople and see if their still interested, LAO I THINK WE COULD GET A FEW OTHER PEOPLE TO JOIN UP(god damn capslock). i still thikn we should make up a detailed script before we start making more stuff. That way there would be more of a direction everyone knows about....im going to bed now
PumaY2K
Fuck Off.

Post by PumaY2K »

Aight, I speak up!... I'm still very interested on the project! lol
PumaY2K out.

Beroc-Lord of Destruction
road raged psycho

Post by Beroc-Lord of Destruction »

I am still around... Imagine that... though, I am currently working on several projects, that are keeping me at bay. I am still all in favor of a mod, though I have been doing some tinkering around with Direct X and Visual basic. I would hate to get trapped into coding the whole thing. it would be a tremendous task for any person.
Junkpile
mindless

Post by Junkpile »

I agree with you that it would be an extremely daunting task for any one person to take on. Xarathatin had me convinced for a while that he could do it. Maybe it overwhelmed him? Well, Since I haven't been around for a while, do any of you have any suggestion's on others that might work out as recruit's for this project?

Dean
Buzz
road raged psycho

Post by Buzz »

i thikn K@VeRa could help, hes a realy good skinner
AdR
pimp

Post by AdR »

Talking about the game engine... I think this could be a good solution to this problem:

VIRTOOLS

In the link I provided you can check out the list of games done with it, check out the features that it has, I think that it'll be a good inversion to get this project started
Junkpile
mindless

Post by Junkpile »

To me, that looks promising. But, I'm not a programmer. Hey Beroc, What do you think?

BTW, I have one concept sketch done & many others in the works. I have to reinstall my scanner tomorrow. So, I should have at least the one sketch posted by tomorrow late-night (I'm a night-owl.).

Dean
Buzz
road raged psycho

Post by Buzz »

we should all get together in a chat room sometime and talk about the game. what do you guys think?
Beroc-Lord of Destruction
road raged psycho

Post by Beroc-Lord of Destruction »

OK, here is what I came up with about Virtools....

It looks like a fabulous piece of software.... it is a script based environment, which is controlled by object behavior methods... roughly meaning that each object has a set of parameters it follows for collision, movement and such.

It looks like it supports advanced shadowing and such, but probably won't hold a tremendous poly count throughput. After looking at it all... and playing the little games they have to offer, I was pretty interested in seeing how much could be done with it. The little Car Arena demo they had was pretty slick and had some features that kinda exist in C2. I didnt see anything about deformation of a static object like a car or such, course that is pusing it for now.

The Whole system looks like it was put together to help hurry along the creative process, so that average users could do some pretty amazing things...

Now, onto the big part of what you guys wanted to know.... A single seat, setup for MMORPG type games looks to cost some 15,000 us/euro. Which AIN'T CHEAP.... I am assuming that to make a viable single player game, you would need the Virtools Dev and Physics pack, which will probably hang about $10,000 total, and the online pack and behavioral server will cost another $5,000-$7,000.... dunno about you... but I am very... VERY broke compared to those numbers.

But then again... if we were making a game from scratch... those are the numbers we would have to be looking at.... Hell, the Renderware engine costs $150,000, and that is what they made GTA with.
Junkpile
mindless

Post by Junkpile »

It appear's that we are still looking at the probability of starting this out as a mod. Simply because I am pretty sure that none of us involved in Ruin-Nation are well enough off to afford such. I also doubt that we would be able to afford this even if we pooled our resources. But, thanks for the looksee at Virtools, AdR. I would still like to see anything promising that you all come across.

Dean
Junkpile
mindless

Post by Junkpile »

Bad news... My scanner went on the fritz. So, it might be a little while before I can get ANY sketches up here for you. Sorry.

Dean
Junkpile
mindless

Post by Junkpile »

OK. Here goes. I recently gained possession of GTA 3 & VC. I am now in the process of evaluating both of these games for possible use as a conversion for this project. Since it is now the into the spring & summer month's of the year, I have very little time at the moment. But, I will update you all on my opinion on this ASAP. Stay tuned...

Check who’s online