Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Vehicles & textures

Discontinued post-apocalyptic TC project by Junkpile and co.
AdR
pimp

Vehicles & textures

Post by AdR »

I've been working on the F-100 and I thought that we should start making the "real" skins for the cars, I mean, using UVmapping and drawing our own skins, using a single 512x512 TGA file for the whole vehicle (I guess the skin of the driver won't be included with the vehicle, right?), pretty much the same way TDR2k cars are mapped.Also I think we should keep the poly count below 6k-7k for mid-sized vehicles, and maybe 8k-9k for large vehicles (doesn't matter that the game engine can handle up to 12k for each car, I think it should be able to work on most systems).We have a lot of vehicles already made, but we're not going to keep those crappy textures, right? That's why I think it's a good time to start doing some real work on this, converting all the cars to .3ds format and mapping them the way it should be.
Buzz
road raged psycho

Re: Vehicles & textures

Post by Buzz »

sounds good, but some of us(me) cant skin for shit
Junkpile
mindless

Post by Junkpile »

quote:Originally posted by Buzz:sounds good, but some of us(me) cant skin for shitGood point, Buzz. Also, I'm not sure about the rest of you but, I know that I am clueless on how to set up textures on a single tga file nor how to convert these suckers to .3ds format...Don't get me wrong AdR. I KNOW these things need to be done. But, who among us can do them AND is willing to take it on? This is something that must be addressed, though. Maybe we should start looking for assistance outside of the Carmageddon Community?Dean
Peace & love, my Brotha... SPLAT!!!
AdR
pimp

Post by AdR »

mmm I see... Could be Beroc maybe? he's a great 3D/2D artist, and CADster too, check out the textures on those TDR vehicles. I can do my own, but I can't take care of every car that's been done for Ruin-Nation.JP, maybe if you have the time you could start learning how to use UVmapping, and the best and easier way is to get zmodeler (http://www.zmodeler.com). Not that you MUST, this is just an idea... I mean, in the past months I spent more time learning than modelling, and I think this is something that everyone involved in this proyect should at least give it a try if we're going to get serious on this.Hey, I don't mean to sound like I'm ordering you guys to do anything... don't get me wrong, I'm just giving away some ideas.
Junkpile
mindless

Post by Junkpile »

Sounds good AdR. I'll get zModeller ASAP. Tonight, if time permits. As far as you sounding pushy, I don't think you come off that way at all. In fact, I applaud that you are speaking out. I just wish more people in here would do the same!Speaking of which... I have recruited someone else onto the crew here. He is working on a "map" & other stuff already. I was quite happy when he asked to join up. As, I hope you all will be to welcome him in...Welcome aboard, Slayer!!! Dean
AdR
pimp

Post by AdR »

heh, thanks for support my ideas JP =) if you got any questions about Zmod, i'll be happy to help you in anyway I can.and SLAYER!! OMG! the legend! the man!
Buzz
road raged psycho

Post by Buzz »

heres my newest project its a mod of slayers 77 olds, runing out of ideas, i moved the head lights to the grill and want to put some guns where the stock lights are. What do you guys think?
Slayer
hit n run

Post by Slayer »

adr, i agree totally on the poly count,6500 maximum or somewheres around there sounds good, maybe we should set a limit on polycount and if you go over that, you'll just have to go back and cut polys from your car by modifying the model or whatever. high poly cars look awesome, but the slowdown isn't worth it..unless of course ruinnation will handle more triangles than c2. i find i hardly use my 59 belair because of its 9000 triangle count....anyways, my first project for ruinnation is this 66 imperial which i'm trying to keep at a fairly low comlplexity, it's about 2600 with most of the body done, engine in, and a few of the "accessories" added....after this i'll probably get started on a track, i'm thinking of a desert highway level similar to the one in the old demo of interstate '76 with more bridges and beat-up buildings and such.whattya think? any suggestions?

Chrysler FIREpower:) crashoc
Junkpile
mindless

Post by Junkpile »

Buzz; That ride looks pretty radical just the way it is... I would slap a skin of some kind on there & THEN see if it needs anything else done to it. I have noticed that you really can't notice the flaws in your own models until you start skinning. Thats when I usually have to fix problems...Slayer: Un til I get a better idea of what you are refering to exactly, I can't say much. I've never heard of Interstate 76... But, the roads shouldn't be in perfect condition... & a few scrap heaps along the way as obstacles might not be a bad idea either...AdR: I couldn't help but support your ideas, they were SO similar to my own. But, is Beroc even around here any more??? The last thing he posted in here was a theory on how to make the vehicle damage more realilistic via the skin. It didn't get much of a reaction & I haven't seen him since... I hope he didn't get accidentally removed from here during one of my psychotic purges...Dean
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Right on, Slayer! Alright man! JP, /me mucho familiar with I76 (a driving/shootemup game set in desert/mountains (out west-type) surroundings- very cool and if he makes 'em anything like the I76 tracks-LOTSA room to boogie with extra Carma goodness. (BTW I've got the demo if ya wanna check it out. Lemme know via email.)
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***

Check who’s online