Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Vertex lighting

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Vertex lighting

Post by Harmalarm »

Yeah! finally a breakthrough in the lighting of the models. Turned out there was a different Script that could handle the lighting a lot better! Lighting in MAX is now exactly the same as ingame, so I can do the lighting a lot easier.

Look at this;

daytime renders
Image Image

nighttime renders
Image Image

See that awesome blue depressing tunnel over there? :nyaha: This was just a somewhat sloppy experiment, but It proves it can make the mod a LOT more interesting to look at. I didn't even know I could make different lighitng for different times of the day! But I will definately use this for the mod!

Tags:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Vertex lighting

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Wow, that's quite a change !
Good to see you've been able to ease your work !

Actually both C1 and C2 support a similar feature, but it seems to be disabled in the final C2. It is not vertex lighting but vertex diffuse colors. I guess they thought diffuse colors by materials was enough...
Anyway that feature is used in C1 and in early C2 demos to "burn" the car in some spots, fading a black color around the vertices.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Vertex lighting

Post by Harmalarm »

Oh, I didn't know that. And there is no chance to get it working in C2 again? No, I guess it's in the engine right?
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Vertex lighting

Post by Harmalarm »

The whole mod is undergoing a mayor Facelift. The vertex lighting is now allmost done, appart from the floating tracks in the sky. But the result is really sweet!

Here's a short trip around the worldmap as it is now. Mostly night screens, because the lighting really looks good at night, but both day and night are now correct! :sglasses:

[img align=C]https://harm.cwaboard.co.uk/files/grandca ... elift4.jpg[/img]
R66C
hit n run

Vertex lighting

Post by R66C »

Wow, man, that's such a fantastic job! These lights looks like great, eye-candy stuff :tup: . Reminds me some good ol' sci-fi movies... Can't wait to ride here at night by myself :sglasses: .
BTW, what is it looks like - work with lightning? In the Mafia maps people use lightmaps - dunno how to explain it... It's kinda 2-nd transparent shaded model, placed and sized exactly as the object you work with - well, actually, it's the same object, but retuned by the means of 3D Max. So, how 'bout GTA? It's the same system or something different? I'm just interesting.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Vertex lighting

Post by Harmalarm »

Like the topic says, it's done by vertex lighting. Every vertex (or point as you might call it) get's another value assigned, in this case probably a corour value. I'm not familiar with the real technical info, I'd suggest the wiki for it. But I can apply my rendered data in 3dmax to the mesh itself using radiosity lighting and shading. That way the models have a kind of static shadow and lighting, which looks a lot better that the plane basic lights from max. :sglasses:
R66C
hit n run

Vertex lighting

Post by R66C »

Thanks for answer, Harm. Yeah, it sounds familiar to me - some time ago building of this lightning in the Mafia was such a headache :smile: . Yup, it brings the whole different effect! Keep up good work :sglasses: .
hazardic
motorised death

Vertex lighting

Post by hazardic »

cool work! i like the night ambience light - especially on the snow track!
cant't wait to test it all=)))
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Vertex lighting

Post by Razor »

I wish i had enough hard drive space to install san andreas, looking at these screen just makes me jealous and then i begin to cry.
Great job!
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Vertex lighting

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Damn nice, these tracks are really starting to have a new life !

What file is modified when you do that ? The IMG one ? I'm eager for updates heh !
Gotta try that again with C2 vertices damnit...
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Vertex lighting

Post by Harmalarm »

Thanx guys! Yes I agree, it makes the mod a lot better.

@tosh; yeah, the big Grandcarma.IMG file contains all the models and needs an update. This file has all the models, all the collision files and all the textures. As soon as I've done all the tracks, so also the sky-tracks, I will upload it.
Also the ide and ipl files (files that define the placement of the objects and their behaviour) need an update, because the vertex light changed some settings.

Check who’s online