Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

The MELD PACK updated! (v1.3.4)

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

The MELD PACK updated! (v1.3.4)

Post by Toshiba-3 »

The MELD PACK has been updated to v1.3.4: https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/blog/
I'll probably take the old version down very soon! done.
new download link is: https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/R4/PC/meldpack_v1.3.4.zip

JeReMiZ and I's work has been greatly updated by QTZ which is the core of this update. hifi's work is also part of the pack.
Don't necessarily remove or try to update your current C1/SP install with this though, it's just a cleaner base for your future uses or for new players :)

Next big thing for C1 will be the Gourmet Pack which will turn out not to be an update to the Meld Pack after all :)

[edit] v1.3.3: Restored complete BRender Device Driver library as some modes were missing (like the wireframe rendering mode).

[edit] v1.3.4: Duplicate launchers + missing zombie resources.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction

Tags:
QTZ
hit n run

Re: The MELD PACK updated! (v1.3.1)

Post by QTZ »

Most important changes are listed with patch info (posted some time ago together with screen-shots).
WIP features are not included here.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Ah thanks! Forgot you posted a changelog there, I'll update the pack with this info :)
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

Patch updated! It patching to pack version and have some additional options... and icons...

Note: network mode cheat option now exclude cops - we can access them with "JOYRIDER" cheat anyway (client player must run host mode enter cheat the exit to main menu then join the game).
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

QTZ, can you list a bit more what it does? Additional options are zombie/robots etc?

Here I can't get it to work on a fresh copy of the Meld Pack, it says "Source doesn't look like Splat Pack Zombie Demo folder! You need this demo to copy zombies form!". I also tried with the SPZ demo folder present but no luck.

Merged icon is a good idea though :ssmile:
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

Zombie and robots are still in the same WIP version (boring mode is not good yet too):
- "Full Robots WIP preview" (only install)
- "Full Zombies WIP preview (SP demo required)" (only install)

I mean the other options:
+ "Cheat - more cars in network mode (all except cops)" (as set in pack except for cops / disabled - as previous - almost game default)
- "Use IDX -> TCP/IP wrapper (wsock32.dll)" (add/remove the file to root)
+ "Use Direct Draw wrapper (ddraw.dll)" (as above)
- "Reset DDraw settings (ddraw.ini)" (reset to ddraw.dll default - gdi, but full screen; also it's default for this patch [opengl give me strange 'snowy' or 'flashing' effect])
- "Reset game settings (OPTIONS.TXT)" (reset to default - based on C1 settings as it was in previous version of pack)
- "Reset controls settings (KEYMAP_1.TXT)" (reset 'B' controls to game default - can also be set from game)*
+ "Display version in game" (add/remove version in main menu)

The options are set up to match the pack default (except for some details listed above).

*In test version of this pack you have set 'A' controls to such as 'laptop' keyboard layout, but not 'wsad' (left handed). I know 's' key is locked to sound on/off, but on GOG forum there is a hint how to move sound to other key, so if this work correctly I can add such option in setup (later).

The zombie installer work fine (tested on fresh copy today), you have probably wrong version of SP - you need this version extracted!

Edit: Tosh, you are right - the default path (or registry path) was checked unnecessary (in wrong place after changes) - please try new version (file version is same since I'm a bit hurry). Same fix for MC1SE. I screwed this two versions ago :-(

You can also try my test setup-launcher then, but (as you know - info just for the other readers) it trigger false malware alert and may corrupt your files if used with modified/different game exec! (It modify gore mode exec, so when setup is used - launch game with this exec directly). Patch will not work correctly with non standard settings.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Ok, it's working now.

Don't forget wsock32.dll can make the game crash, people can copy it manually. CARM95 running fullscreen sometimes gives sound but black screen (also it can change the size of windows in the background, like winamp). GDI is safer alright but maxfps should stay capped to 30. You reset settings because of unimportant details, just tell me about it and I would have updated the pack. Adding such options will just confuse users willing to use your patch to add Zombie/Robot modes. They might assume resetting stuff is necessary to install new modes etc. Ah well, up to you.

Anyway I'm going to update the pack with these details: reset OPTIONS.TXT, KEYMAPS, ddraw.ini set to GDI, cop cars disabled for network games, your meld pack icon for the launcher, and the changelog of your important changes.

[edit] done: v1.3.2
QTZ
hit n run

Re: The MELD PACK updated! (v1.3.2)

Post by QTZ »

It's late..., so just new patch for MP 1.3.1, since you have updated Meld Pack this may be not compatible (I will update it as soon as possible). I have added another cheat option:

+ "Cheat - more cars stealworthy (all except APC)" (enable/disable possibility to achieve cars normally marked as cheat)

I think APC should stay 'disabled' (in my C1 patch APC is enabled incidentally, but in SE is not).

Edit: Done! Patch is updated to match the current version of pack (1.3.2). Another script bug fixed and ddraw.ini is now reset to your (Toshiba-3) default or same, but with full screen set (both versions are full commented as default file generated by ddraw.dll). Also I have leaved my comment in opponent.txt file (there is a lot such comments I have added elsewhere, so why to remove this one?).

Edit2: Another change - icons are moved directly to execs. I have noticed that ddraw.dll when full screen is enabled freeze game after ALT+TAB... so maybe colorfix as is created by Kalcos for SE is better solution for full screen? (for XP we don't need ddraw.dll or other fixes to play on full screen). For windowed mode I don't like that 'window' have disabled frame in this default ddraw.ini - I can't move game window and after desktop resolution is changed it jump to down right corner...

Now it's time to say *** Merry Christmas everyone! ***
D00M
mechanic

Re: The MELD PACK updated! (v1.3.4)

Post by D00M »

I have a problem. Every time I wasted an enemy, the game instantly freeze and crashes.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hey there D00M. Does this also happen with an unmodified MeldPack + new game? Now and then a crash can occur when the player's car rams into certain opponents like Twister. But it's not wasting, just damaging the other car is enough for the game to freeze. Is it your issue, or does it only freeze when you manage to waste the opponent completely?
D00M
mechanic

Post by D00M »

I tried the Meld Pack, the Splat Pack | C1 meld patch, I even tried manually fusion the C1 Data with the SP data, and reverse, but I always got the same problem. It works smooth, but when I completely waste an enemy, at that point when the wasted label try to came, it freeze for a moment, and then crash.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Damn, that's a new one then..! I'm afraid the GOG/Steam version is your only option for the time being then (unless you can try the pack on another comp, laptop).

You can have the same experience with DOSBox by running the carma executable with the -hires paramater (and -novoodoo -hires for VOODO2C.EXE). The game is moddable the same way and C1 and SP can be merged as well.
D00M
mechanic

Post by D00M »

You mean the Max Pack GOG version, and then merge the Carma Data, with the SP Data?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Indeed.
If I'm not mistaken you should be able to swap the Data folder ffrom the Steam/GOG C1 with the one from the MeldPack. I haven't tested though.
D00M
mechanic

Post by D00M »

Okay I tried, tested it a little bit. Now the wasting don't cause instant crash. Instead of that, a really strange thing happens. Not always, but sometimes when I waste an enemy, the whole map disappear, except the background, and the car constantly fall trought to nothing.

I think it's the same bug, but this time, it wont cause instant crashing.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

Are you using fresh unmodified installation? Or maybe you are trying to decrypt (how?) or edit text files or add some custom stuff? What is path of your installation? Are you using any patch?
D00M
mechanic

Post by D00M »

The last time, I did what Toshiba said. I downloaded the Max Pack GOG version, and then I merged the Carma Data, with the Meldpack Data. Thats all.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Well at least it doens't happen all the time and it doesn't crash thus? But damn, that's a new one. And am I right to understand it doesn't happen in both C1 nor SP as long as they're not merged together? I really can't think of what would be causing this!

When you waste an enemy the only special thing that can happen is the game checking if it's stealable and if it is and you can steal it, then the model blinks and flies up.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

@D00M
Your problems are similar as what we have with broken text files or when using wrong execs, so I think you doing something wrong. Since you have skipped most of my questions I cannot help much. I don't know what you mean by "merge", this can be done several ways... Is fresh GOG installation working?

If so install 95RPP (set renderer to OpenGL, if you are using Windows XP install additional wrappers, otherwise do not install [default]), then go to "C:\MAX_PACK.W95" rename "CARSPLAT" folder (for example to "CARSPLAT.BAK" [there should be also "CARMA" and "DOSBOX", leave them]). Then create new "CARSPLAT" directory and copy there all files and folders from "CARSPLAT.BAK", but except for "DATA" and "MUSIC" directories. Copy "MUSIC" from "CARMA" (there will be no music for 95 version if OS is not XP [no wrappers]).
If you want additional stuff (like HD Test, zombies, etc.) install Meld Pack Patch to Meld pack. Copy execs and "DATA" folder form patched (or not) MeldPack to "CARSPLAT". You can also copy "DOCS" folder. That's all. It should work as SplatPack from Launcher, for other modes it may require to launch '95' execs directly (tested in the past, now written from memory).

Do not uninstall or move GOG installation then, also do not move "C:\MAX_PACK.W95".
D00M
mechanic

Post by D00M »

QTZ wrote:@D00MYour problems are similar as what we have with broken text files or when using wrong execs, so I think you doing something wrong. Since you have skipped most of my questions I cannot help much. I don't know what you mean by "merge", this can be done several ways... Is fresh GOG installation working?
First I installed the MaxPack GOG version in D:\
Then I extracted the Meldpack_v1.3.4 in D:\
Then I copied the Data folder from the Meldpack.
Then I pasted it in D:\Carmageddon\Carma folder, and overrited everything.

I use Windows 7 64 bit (Who still use XP nowadays?) and yes, the GOG version works flawlessly.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

I can't test this right now, but I think game may read some files from partial CD image which is included with GOG (and Steam), so it read wrong text files. Please follow my instruction above, but one more thing may be necessary - install the patch for Meld Pack and at least set MiniCD to be installed (at that point where I told it's optional).

PS. I'm still using XP :), for Windows 7 you can download free copy of Windows XP which is called XPMode :) (for other systems it need more work, but it's also possible to setup) Many language versions are available which is very good for testing purpose and for network playing on one PC :).
D00M
mechanic

Post by D00M »

Okay, I did what you told me, but same thing happens. However, I tested a little bit further, and it always happens, when the game try to add a non-stealworthy car to my list.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

All non stealworthy cars using same cockpits.

Edit: I think this is not correct reason, since cockpits are for player only.

I have not much time to test right now, but maybe this is problem with Meld Pack in general then...

Check who’s online