Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Trying to get a bit of a rain effect in C1...

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Trying to get a bit of a rain effect in C1...

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Somehow everything is in the picture at the moment. I obviously have to replace that WOODS2 pixelmap by an animated rain FLIC. Maybe try to set transparency on it. I tried with C2 before and got mixed results, mainly due to drawing distance, shading and fog. Anyway C2 wasn't my aim at all.

I could really see an animated sky texture with rain seen from afar and some faint flashes of a lightning. Then this rain forced to front via this trick. Rain noise as ambiant and some areas would spawn growling thunder.

The lollipop isn't working properly actually, probably because of the proximity of the actor's pivot. It isn't necessary anyway. Having to multiply the drawing distance is kinda annoying though... It would be so much better if it was possible to make a track's actor follow the player's position... or something like that.
Screenshot (7).png
Screenshot (7).png (422.46 KiB) Viewed 5382 times
You can open this picture in another tab to get a better look, I left my working environment in there for those interested.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction

Tags:
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Re: Trying to get a bit of a rain effect in C1...

Post by Harmalarm »

I see what you did there! Clever idea. All you need now is a proper animated texture and you are done right?
Do you remember you can always set the draw distance in the tracks txt file, at the bottom right below the splash pixelmap entry?

Code: Select all

1										// number of splash files
CASPLASH.PIX 								//  name of pixelmapfile for splashes
1 <<<<<< draw distance value
desert1.TXT
Or is this only possible in C2? If not you could use this and not change the games setting all the time.

You could also make a custom 'rain car' where the sphere would be part of the actual car and would drive along with you. I doubt it would look as good as your solution though, because it would intersect with the map and you would see the shape of the sphere...
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Might want to watch it directly on youtube for larger size.
And Harm, I was indeed talking about that yon multiplier at the end of the race text file :swink:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Wow, that's really convincing! I'd like to see it applied to a bigger map. :smile:
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Does it affect frame rate at all?
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Coffeycup: I'd like to apply it to a C1 port of the NFS Hometown track :ssmile:

Razor: No framerate hit at all in software mode. I didn't test Glide... textures I used are beyond Glide's limits... Maybe using FLIC could reduce problems.

Check who’s online