Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

ASC Opponent paths

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
coffeycup
Genesis

ASC Opponent paths

Post by coffeycup »

What is the best shape to export for an ASC opponent path?

I tried exporting single connected vertices, no polys, but I ended up with a empty(?) 1KB 3DS file.

I can try extruding the shape so it's like a ribbon, but then I end up with twice as many vertices (delete very other one?)

The ASC path I create is 3 dimensional, it follows the hills and gullies.

In SketchUp you can 'drape' an outline onto another object. So I tried draping the 3D path onto a 2D plane so that I'd have a flat plane with the path outline with polys filling the center. I was able to export that shape. BUT it lost the sequence of vertices, so instead of a path that follows the perimeter it sticthes back and forth. See below:

I have some other ideas to try out, but was wondering what shape other people use to export a path with.
Attachments
Path should've gone around the outside, not criss-crossing!
Path should've gone around the outside, not criss-crossing!
stitchThis.jpg (96.2 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Re: ASC Opponent paths

Post by Harmalarm »

I export my paths in 3ds max using spline shapes and my tool. I'm not sure if that will help you as you are using sketchup, but I can help out if you need me to.

By the way, I would not recommend draping a path onto geometry because it will then generate a lot of unneeded path points where the track has height differences... The cars follow the terrain anyway, regardless of the height of the nodes/points.

Can't you export in Cad format of something of the likes? Like a spline shape to cad format, and then read out the point coordinates? (just taking a wild guess)
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Hmm, I hadn't thought of exporting in a different format. I can export 3DS, DWG, DXF, FBX, OBJ, VRML, XSI.

Maybe I can open one with a text editor and grab the values. If it works I'll need to parse through the values and do some manipulation because I scale and translate the imported model in PT2.

Of course if it all becomes too convoluted I can always fall back on doing it manually, but that would really be a pain in the ass on a map so big.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ok, I think that exporting the path as VRML is going give me what I need. The coords are pretty easy to isolate. I'll just need to manipulate the numbers for scaling and translating the X axis. But as long as the numbers have the correct position among themselves that will be doable.

Quick test of tracing out a star was successful. I have a little HTML5 webpage that will spit out the path onto a canvas so I can see what the stream of numbers is trying to draw...look a star! With points in the proper sequence!

Now to try it for real!
Attachments
yayPath.jpg
yayPath.jpg (53.72 KiB) Viewed 5635 times
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Exporting path as a single edge WRL file worked great. I never would have thought of trying a different format from ASC.

I had to spend a bit of time figuring out how to manipulate the values (scale, translate and invert Z axis) and then spit them out as an opponent path. But I got it. And now I can use this html/javascript template for the rest of the subpaths or any new map.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

That's great man. Can you share this template with the rest of the sketcup users on the forums?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

When I am done with this Mad Max project I'll try to make the template a little more user-friendly with a write-up on how to prep the output from the WRL before converting it.

Check who’s online