Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Is it possible to "hex edit" opponent behavior?

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Is it possible to "hex edit" opponent behavior?

Post by C2 Scientist »

Perhaps I'm alone with this, but I've grown a bit annoyed by the fact that the opponents may go into the reverse/sulking mode, and stay that way for a long time even if they are repeatedly hit. It's something the first Carmageddon didn't have, which usually kept the gameplay more action packed, I think.

Since a setting for this doesn't seem to exist in any of the textfiles (other than the races.txt nastiness setting :), I was wondering if those more skilled in hex editing could tell me whether this could be fiddled with by editing the Carma_HW.exe. All I can tell is that there is some opponent behavior related stuff from line 258984 onwards, but I have no idea what to do with it, or if there's anything that can be done. Perhaps this is a stupid question, but it doesn't hurt to ask. :)

Another thing I've been wondering is whether it would be possible to edit something to force the player to always start from the last position on the grid (rather than a random position every time). I wasn't able to find anything related to this in the .exe, though...
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Re: Is it possible to "hex edit" opponent behavior?

Post by Harmalarm »

Well, I am pretty sure it can be done via hex editing, but it is a very specific goal. I wouldn't have any idea where or what to look for. This goes for both things you are talking about.
I tried to edit the grid settings myself for my dd2 mod. Unfortunately, no success in any way... :(
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Re: Is it possible to "hex edit" opponent behavior?

Post by C2 Scientist »

Removing the sulking entirely would probably be quite difficult, I guess. But if there's a "duration" or a "chance" factor somewhere in there, they could be reduced to, say, 0.1s and 1%.

I don't know if this makes the goal any easier to achieve, though. :)

Check who’s online