Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

CarmaUDP Help

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
highspeedsentry
pedestrian

CarmaUDP Help

Post by highspeedsentry »

First, thanks to all who got me this far! I love the series and I'm trying to introduce my boys to it over LAN.

The main issue is this, I can get all of the pc's up and running and seeing each others hosted C2 games, but only in software mode. If I just run the carma2_HW.exe the game starts fine on all 3 PC's (2 = XPsp3 1 = win7 64bit). If I start up carmaUDPloader.exe and choose hardware and click play i get a crash to the desktop.

I've used every combination of compatibility modes on both exe's. I've used glidewrapper084c and nglide. I was reading that it might have something to do with the exe version but it was supposedly fixed to work with patched and unpatched versions. I have tried both. No luck.

ANY thoughts would be appreciated.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Re: CarmaUDP Help

Post by Harmalarm »

Hi and welcome to the board!

why don't you try the new dll's wirtten by Hifi;

http://carmageddon.com/forum/topic/426

http://hifi.iki.fi/carmageddon/wsock32-lan.dll
Installation: Drop the selected dll in the game directory, rename it to wsock32.dll and start playing network games! If you downloaded the internet version remember to make sure you have UDP port 8055 open and/or forwarded from your router.
highspeedsentry
pedestrian

Thanks for the quick reply Harm! I have tried that .DLL. I still cannot see hosted C2 games on the network. One thought, right now my networked pc's are assigned I.P.'s via DHCP from the router. I'm wondering if assigning I.P.'s would have any effect. If I could get the hardware mode to run in CarmaUDP, i would be all set. I have tried 3 different carmaHW .exe's and they all crash to desktop. I have triple checked my firewall settings as well.
highspeedsentry
pedestrian

or if could get the code I could possibly make it work. All of the links in that post to the .exe's and the code are broken.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

IP via DHCP shouldn't be a problem. I guess you have double checked your firewall, esp. about ports?

You should first get the HW running IMO. Have you tried BBQ + hifi's wsock32.dll?
Latest BBQ is here. BBQ is a C2 build made for multi btw. (you'll need a GW too, I suggest nGlide)

Also what code are you talking about?
Source for Stifado's CarmaUDP was available but the links are down so simply contact Stifado.
Source for hifi's wsock might be available there https://github.com/hifi/carmanet (no idea)
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
highspeedsentry
pedestrian

Thanks for the reply Toshiba. I'm not giving up but this is looking impossible.

I did as suggested, I downloaded C2 BBQ and dropped the winsock file into the root folder and renamed (i dropped it into the meat folder also just to be safe). I now have 4 PC's running in this configuration: OS'es 1 = Win7 64, 3 = Win XP 32bit, all running C2 BBQ with wsock32 in root folder.
All pc's are running without antivirus or firewall. All PC's have IP's assigned and are running through a netgear 10/100 switch. All running nGlide (also tried zackensack's GW). Single player hardware works perfect on all machines. Tried hosting multi in BBQ on all PC's in all cases no multi games are found.

I'm obviously missing something here....
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I'm running out of ideas as well to be honnest. LAN C2 is usually pretty straight forward once firewalls are bitching anymore.

Speaking of firewalls, besides third party app, I guess the windows firewall and your router firewall are ok too?
Opening a specific port might be needed with hifi's wsock32 (UDP port 8055).
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
highspeedsentry
pedestrian

I finally got things working! I use AVG antivirus. I had to completely uninstall for carmaudp to work. Disabling AVG was not enough. Also, I had to run the carmaloader.exe in win95 compatibility mode. I could not get the winsock32.dll file to work however.

Check who’s online