Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Blocksburg

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Re: Blocksburg

Post by C2 Scientist »

Glad you like it. :) And sorry, preprocessing is something me and Harm have discussed just recently, and are having problems with on this map. I haven't tried with Plaything though, but I don't think I could get any better results.

Funny thing about the elevated highway: I drove to the far end in the east, and hit recovery there. Opening the map screen, I see two opponents following that large-radius curve, heading towards me, eventually reaching where I was. The thing is, I haven't set up any opponent paths for these areas... I'm thinking that the opponents can track and follow your recent movements until they 'see' you again, which I guess I haven't paid enough attention to before.

Tags:
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

Ok, since I've been a bit busy with other things, there's so little progress this time that I should be ashamed... sorry! :)

I've added a couple of new houses and storage sheds in the residential area, which I think look alright. There also two new fog styles in the "Horizon images" textfile: a black night-time fog, and a very 'smoggy' gray fog (Beijing!), if you want to try them out.

https://c2s.cwaboard.co.uk/DLoads/Blocksburg.zip
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Oh missed your latest update totally. I will check it out tonight. I've also been doing a little bit of scripting again. Hopefully I can get the preprocessing to work on your map soon. I'm on it ;)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

It's a bit like your own SimCity/city builder ;)
Attachments
enb2013_3_21_13_55_30.jpg
enb2013_3_21_13_55_30.jpg (101.29 KiB) Viewed 5960 times
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

Update time again. It is mainly a few new buildings, a few additional horizon images, and the usual random changes. I was actually doing quite good progress right after the last update, but then I got distracted by... Doom II. :)

The white river fences look bugged at the moment. After remaking them, they received a similar twisted polygon as the gas station canopy had earlier. I had been thinking it's caused by having a diffuse color assigned to a polygon instead of a proper bitmap, but that doesn't apply in the fence models.

The vending machines have a similar polygon bug, but in their case it could be caused by the fact that I built them starting from the standard box object in Max.

Edit:

I started with a custom prefab menu:

It's similar to the quick fetcher script, except that now there's no need to remember and type in the object name. :)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

I missed that edit, but it seems real nifty. After selecting one you can click in the viewport and they are there?

The track keeps expanding well. I already enjoyed myself flying through the model in 3ds max and seeing they way you made things.
Now finish doom and get back to it! :D
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

No, it really is quite similar to the quick fetcher. :)

1) Select an existing object
2) Click the menu item
3) The menu item is positioned where the selected object is, waiting to be moved (note that no object is deleted during all this)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I refined the prefab menu idea to use rollouts instead:

I find this much better than the previous implementation, which required a separate maxscript file (.ms) for each menu item. This one lets me work on a single script, and a shortcut key can be used to bring up this window, which is convenient. :)

If space becomes an issue, some of the rollouts could be set to be minimized by default.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And monthly update time. Although, again there is very little progress unfortunately... mainly, I started building a new mall area in the east.

Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Kind of related article, very interesting:
http://blog.joelburgess.com/2013/04/sky ... -2013.html

And nice prefab menu! :)
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

Yes, that's a good (and long!) article, thanks! It was interesting to recognize a number of familiar problems, but there were a few new things I learned too.

In addition to Skyrim, another game using this approach is Diablo III, in which majority of the environments are randomly generated. Over time, it becomes quite obvious with the interior dungeons which use rooms that snap together, especially since the game uses an overhead camera.

Check who’s online