Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Huge online c1/c2 car database idea

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
cesm20
turbo bastard

Post by cesm20 »

Since several years ago, since 2001 more or less i started downloading several cars for c2 from the internet and right from the beginning i started to make a acess database with it, and i started collecting cars i downloaded at the time. I think i may have many cars that aren't found online anymore, and i am not the only one for sure... Wouldn't be great to have a online car database and even hosting all the cars available to anyone to download ? And better yet, with some errors fixed (some of the cars were released with bugs, and that includes the bug that makes the game crash when the cars get split on half).

So what you guys think, it should be a great idea, no ? Actually i already discussed this with toshiba and he will be working on this, so any feedback on ideas would be great.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

I had similar ideas, so I am very enthousiastic about this!

First of all I think it should be image based viewing. I need to see what I'm downloading. This means that for a lot of vehicles images need to be made I suppose, but I am willing to help on that point if needed.

I think it would be great if we could have several viewing options, like viewing by author, type of car, and even things like color?

It would even be cool to have one unique image style for all cars. Not ingame shots and stuff like that, but that would be crazy work. Although, come to think of it, if we could use the model viewer Errol created a year ago we could try to automate this process... you see I am just thinking out loud here.

I don't have a lot of collected cars, never really did keep them, so I am not much help in bringing them all together, but If there is any work to be done on indexing all the models I would love to help.
cesm20
turbo bastard

Post by cesm20 »

yeah i know, besides in many of the cars i downloaded, i also made some menu images for those that didn't even came with one :) But that's just one of the fixes i did.
roadkill804
hit n run

Post by roadkill804 »

Great idea, you have my support \o/
I'm just a lurker.
Jon606
hit n run

Post by Jon606 »

An amazing idea Cesm. I'd support this.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

I also think this is a fantastic idea and would support it and contribute as best I can.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Killer11
hit n run

Post by Killer11 »

And if there are going to be pictures of the cars then they should be high rez. We certainly have the capability for that and it really helps to see the car in detail before getting it.
AgentOrange
mechanic

Post by AgentOrange »

Can i help making some pictures for the vehicles ?
Would mostly be C1.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I'll have to find the best download gallery script for this. It should be awesome. Personaly I agree with everything that was already said in here. I'll also add that each download needs a little description and a readme viewer (ala NFO viewer). Big pictures are indeed very needed, this is 2010 damnit!

Fixing lacking cars could be a huge task though. Might be done little by little. And unless Errol would agree to share his C2 vehicle viewer, it'd also be a pain in the neck to try to have formated screenshots. Unless we set some kind of standard as for an ingame shot.

I'll also have to estimate the weight of all this :B

@ GCR, Agent Orange, Roadkill and Razor: Sorry but I removed the latest posts as they were offtopic :]
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
cesm20
turbo bastard

Post by cesm20 »

[quote]Fixing lacking cars could be a huge task though. Might be done little by little.[/quote]
Yeah i know what you mean, for example just for the splitting car crash problem i did several tests on each car, in which i would activate the no wastage cheat mode and repeatedly pressing the keys to activate mine powerup (shift+f4) several times to get the car split and to see if the game would crash. Some cars unfortunately take a lot of tries to make the game crash when split, since depending on the bboxes of the cars, some of the cars make the game crash more often than others while some of them never crash the game at all. Still i believe i still have the list of the cars with that problem, so definetly i could help with that part, since i already have my own method to test this.

[quote]And unless Errol would agree to share his C2 vehicle viewer, it'd also be a pain in the neck to try to have formated screenshots. Unless we set some kind of standard as for an ingame shot.[/quote]

Regarding the ingame menu images, yeah i kinda did ingame screenshots also those cars which only had PIX16 images i also made tiffrgb for those cars, that's something i also spent a lot of time doing it, i guess that we can take advantage of some of the work i already did at the time, but we will see about that later, for now let's wait toshiba implements this.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

And then also vehicles can split 2 ways, on the X or Z axis.
cesm20
turbo bastard

Post by cesm20 »

yeah indeed :) Amazing what the c2 engine is able to do, in fact i think i once had a vehicle split in THREE parts... but that was long ago i am not sure anymore if that really happened, probably not, but anyone ever got the car split in three parts? Either if it was at the same time, or if a split car being split afterwards... maybe i am wrong after all, i can't remmber well.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Maybe the third was a large detachable.

Check who’s online